Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754440 times)

rr

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #5825 on: 19 November, 2014, 12:08:39 pm »
Huggy's proposed route is part of the NCN.
With a Ostrava king of the mountain by Alex Dowsett no less.

« Reply #5826 on: 19 November, 2014, 12:42:06 pm »
 Looks good see you all at 7.30  ;D

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #5827 on: 19 November, 2014, 02:02:28 pm »

With a Ostrava king of the mountain by Alex Dowsett no less.

You can probably nick that tonight Oros..... ;)

« Reply #5828 on: 19 November, 2014, 03:12:40 pm »
 I might let him keep it this time had a hard week at work feeling a bit zapped at the mo  ;)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5829 on: 19 November, 2014, 10:20:57 pm »

Which says nothing regarding its cycleability, surface, or legal status ;)  :demon:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5830 on: 20 November, 2014, 08:19:08 am »

Which says nothing regarding its cycleability, surface, or legal status ;)  :demon:
Everyone rode & enjoyed it without making close inspection of the grass verge  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #5831 on: 20 November, 2014, 09:34:18 am »
Another good night last night.The coach and horses was a nice pub.I even enjoyed the Billericay Dicky.  :)

The Retiree

« Reply #5832 on: 20 November, 2014, 01:06:00 pm »
Certainly was another good MEMWNS with familiar faces OD, Huggy, Oros, Tomsk, Trainmanbri and Andy C33 as well as special guest for the evening Brian Taylor.
Despite not partaking in PBP myself (although it's extremely tempting....) I found Brian's tales very interesting, on the ale front The Billericay Dicky was a winner with Betty Stoggs a good runner up as we drank them dry of the former!

Looking ahead to tomorrows night ride I believe we have Oros, Trainmanbri, Andy C33 and Tomsk (+1/2 from Flitch bikes) in attendance.

ETA is 11pm from Spa Road roundabout it should be noted that this is not an official Witham led ride it is just a bunch of mates going out together for a trundle in the dark  :o

Breakfast is now likely to be at Dees in Hatfield Peverel as Spoons in Witham doesn't open until 8am which will hopefully be a little late for our arrival back to the ranch!

I can provide tea & coffee at my bungalow in Frinton but sadly there won't be any lovely cake as per the Witham led ride kindly provided by OD and Mrs OD which was very very tasty so best bring some snacks with you for a midnight feast....

« Reply #5833 on: 20 November, 2014, 02:16:07 pm »
DL i will be there see you all at 11pm for a night of fun in the back lanes of Essex  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5834 on: 20 November, 2014, 06:43:42 pm »
Brian Taylor's words of PBP wisdom ...

Having taken part in 5 PBPs it was self evident the man knew what he was on about.  A very decent, generous, self effacing gentleman  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5835 on: 20 November, 2014, 06:44:24 pm »
And have fun tomorrow night chaps!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5836 on: 20 November, 2014, 08:06:02 pm »
Having taken part in 5 PBPs it was self evident the man knew what he was on about.  A very decent, generous, self effacing gentleman  :thumbsup:

I'll send Brian a little letter of appreciation on behalf of all the MEMWNS Mob - I've found the perfect postcard in my little stockpile:

[It's a 'Timbergram' from 'cyclemiles.co.uk', though I actually got it from them at Mildenhall in August.]

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5837 on: 20 November, 2014, 08:12:51 pm »
Nice gesture!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5838 on: 21 November, 2014, 09:00:23 am »
That is Brilliant. Out of interest is Brian the Gent that was at the Compasses that is involved with the CTC?

Also, on a side note, I have started a blog for several reasons to keep track of my PBP timelines. I think/hope it will serve to motivate me and will be something to look back on once it is all done (all though I may well try and keep it going). I also really enjoy reading peoples accounts of rides so thought I might start sharing a few of mine. I am also hoping it makes me think a little more about slowing down and enjoying the rides, taking some pictures and so on which I was very bad at last year.

I have some static pages I want to add but the postings are up and if anyone is keen to jump in and post some stuff I can add contributors to make it a bit of an Essex Randoneurs PBP build up diary so we all have something to look back at.

Keep in mind I am not the sharpest writer/storyteller but you never know....it might improve!

The Road to PBP

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5839 on: 21 November, 2014, 09:16:51 am »
That is Brilliant. Out of interest is Brian the Gent that was at the Compasses that is involved with the CTC?

Yes.

Also, on a side note, I have started a blog for several reasons to keep track of my PBP timelines ...

Good idea.  I did something similar a while ago.  The thread got turned into an Arrivee article.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5840 on: 22 November, 2014, 06:06:35 pm »
Thanks Witham chums for a great night ride - we must do this more often - a dedicated 'Mid-Essex Friday Night Ride to the Coast' thread needed? I was reminded of how many superior 5***** shelters there are along the Sunshine Coast, ideal for a brew and a nap in the middle of the night, though Doggers Lane's accommodation last night was in a class of its own  :thumbsup:

Next Wednesday to The Chapel Inn at Coggeshall?

The Retiree

« Reply #5841 on: 24 November, 2014, 10:33:36 am »
Just to echo Tomsk's words from Saturday it certainly was a great ride on Friday night with myself, Tomsk, trainmanbri, Oros & Andy C33 in attendance. Lady luck smiled down on us a sit wasn't that cold and the rain was largely light and intermittent.
We slightly amended the route from Coggleshall back to Witham so that we arrived at the Spoons as they opened for a well deserved breakfast, massive thanks to Oros for navigating us round as embarrassingly as the ride organiser and planner my laptop decided to have a hissy fit on Friday and refused to open Garmin Communicator meaning I was unable to upload the route to my device! Oros luckily had already put it on his otherwise tings could of been interesting...... thanks again Oros!
As Tomsk mentioned we must get another one arranged, maybe incorporating one of the night rides OD has mentioned for next year?

Trainmanbri repairing the only puncture of the night without the help of GK Motors! This is the third innertube as the first two had valves that were too short!

Pit stop on the sea wall between Jaywick & Clacton

A welcome coffee/tea at the bungalow at 4am

Oros got this little lot out of his bag at the pit stop....... we thought we were at an official Wiggle sportive feed station! (he didn't consume it all)

For those riding from Witham for MEMWNS this week I will devise a route and post up for our trip to Coggleshall

The Retiree

« Reply #5842 on: 24 November, 2014, 01:16:51 pm »
For those Withamites riding this Wednesday here are the routes in BRT and Garmin formats:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/744358

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/8422284

As the route goes past the door of The Square & Compasses in Fuller Street in may be rude not to stop for a quick tipple enroute to the Chapel Inn especially as it's only a 30 mile round trip in total!?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5843 on: 24 November, 2014, 01:34:32 pm »
I am, in theory although real life is endangering my carefully laid plans, riding out with the Portsmouth crew and HRH Hummers on Wednesday evening.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5844 on: 24 November, 2014, 02:00:29 pm »
I am, in theory although real life is endangering my carefully laid plans, riding out with the Portsmouth crew and HRH Hummers on Wednesday evening.
So will you wanting the route to The Chapel Inn in Coggeshall?

« Reply #5845 on: 24 November, 2014, 02:57:38 pm »
Friday night/sat morning was such a good ride.A little bit of off roading a long the river from colchester.Then a long the sea front.The rest stop was nice a cup of coffee thanks DL for that.The weather was kind to us a little bit of drizzle for the last 45 mins.then a good breakfast in spoons.I still dont know how i got a thick layer of mud and sand on top of my mudgards.
DL hope you got the route for weds night loaded on your garmin this time or you can borrow mine.  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #5846 on: 24 November, 2014, 03:13:53 pm »

DL hope you got the route for weds night loaded on your garmin this time or you can borrow mine.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Oros I'm ok for Weds night as I made sure I created it on Garmin Connect first so I can bluetooth it to my Edge! Huggy/OD think there might be a bare minimum on Weds night....... me, Huggy & Andy C33

The Retiree

« Reply #5847 on: 26 November, 2014, 10:03:40 am »
Who is out tonight? Huggy, Andy C33?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5848 on: 26 November, 2014, 10:53:51 am »
I'll see you all there  :thumbsup:......

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5849 on: 26 November, 2014, 11:17:05 am »
Planning to come out to play, see you at the roundabout at 7:30  :thumbsup: