Author Topic: Battling the bottle.  (Read 63167 times)

velocipede

Re: Battling the bottle.
« Reply #75 on: 31 August, 2008, 08:46:28 pm »
May I recommend this book?  It sounds as if you are of two minds..... on the one hand alcohol seems very pleasurable, on the other... only you can decide.
Not an uncommon problem.

Good luck with your decision regarding alcohol

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #76 on: 01 September, 2008, 12:43:42 pm »
Had two beers last night, which is very unusual for me. Felt the effects this morning - sluggish legs, now aching thighs.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #77 on: 01 September, 2008, 10:45:43 pm »
That's it.

Off the booze now until the 12th October.

Chin chin.

H

bobajobrob

« Reply #78 on: 01 September, 2008, 10:48:47 pm »
Good luck Mr H :thumbsup:

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #79 on: 01 September, 2008, 11:19:22 pm »
That's it.

Chin chin.

H

Yarr, an' how will ye be celebratin' TLAPD wi'out quaffin' down the grog wi' a wannion?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #80 on: 01 September, 2008, 11:56:03 pm »
That's it.

Chin chin.

H

I'll join you.

Apart from special days like Thunderbox rides etc.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #81 on: 02 September, 2008, 03:18:44 pm »
Yeah right.  See you in the pub friday night.

border-rider

« Reply #82 on: 02 September, 2008, 06:30:43 pm »
A month for me today :)

next week I have to go to the US, so I'll need to resist the plane-booze and the evening "social" drinking.  And the boredom.

That'll be a challenge.

Chris S

« Reply #83 on: 02 September, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

next week I have to go to the US, so I'll need to resist the plane-booze and the evening "social" drinking.  And the boredom.

That'll be a challenge.

Good luck!

Just two days for me so far  ::-). Small steps...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #84 on: 02 September, 2008, 07:37:26 pm »
Yeah right.  See you in the pub friday night.

I did mention special days, didn't i?
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #85 on: 03 September, 2008, 09:32:50 am »

What MV said.  However, it is not humanly possible to go on holibobs and not drink, so any attempts to cut it down or off will have to wait until I get back :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #86 on: 03 September, 2008, 11:10:40 am »

That'll be a challenge.

Avoiding US beer shouldn't be too much of a hardship...................
Plane-booze, well that's a different matter. Especially if you're sat near the front !

border-rider

« Reply #87 on: 03 September, 2008, 11:17:31 am »
Luckily I'm sat at the back :)

We're paying, not a client, and it's only 7 hours to Newark from Bristol*.  A factor 5 or so in cost seemed hard to justify for that.  And that's such a quiet route that you usually get 2 or 3 seats to yourself anyway.

And it's Continental, which means that you have to pay for alcohol.  <just remembers>

*and then 6 more to SF, but at least I get a break and a leg-stretch

Some US beer is OK - the microbrewery stuff - but I'll be spending a few days schmoozing potential buyers of our stuff.  Hard to do stone-cold.  But I'll try.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #88 on: 03 September, 2008, 11:58:06 am »
and then 6 more to SF, but at least I get a break and a leg-stretch

When are you arriving in SF?  I'll be the one being refused entry having buggered up the green form :P

border-rider

« Reply #89 on: 03 September, 2008, 01:03:04 pm »
Saturday evening.  'bout 9 I think.

It's a long journey cos of the 4 hour stopover at Newark, but that's better for me than going via Heathrow.

What are you doing there ?  Fancy a bike ride ?

;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #90 on: 03 September, 2008, 03:16:01 pm »
I get there Wednesday afternoon en route to Battle Mountain; I just wondered if there'd be anyone I knew to help keep me sane while queuing to get into the country ;D

border-rider

« Reply #91 on: 03 September, 2008, 03:21:01 pm »
My queue to get in is in Newark on Saturday so I doubt we'll meet :)

Keep an eye out for Charlotte & Liz tho'

It's not that big a country...ah

Hummers

« Reply #92 on: 03 September, 2008, 07:36:44 pm »
That's it.

Chin chin.

H

Yarr, an' how will ye be celebratin' TLAPD wi'out quaffin' down the grog wi' a wannion?

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

By the bunions caused by Black Ankles' badly fitted galloshes, I could murder some grog!

H

bobajobrob

« Reply #93 on: 03 September, 2008, 08:01:19 pm »
By the bunions caused by Black Ankles' badly fitted galloshes, I could murder some grog!

H

Same here, but I just had some chocolate and that seems to have helped :P

I'm back to day one again. Pesky grog.

Hummers

« Reply #94 on: 03 September, 2008, 08:08:59 pm »

H

Same here, but I just had some chocolate and that seems to have helped :P

I'm back to day one again. Pesky grog.

What is scary interesting  to note is how often I have to stop and say to myslef "no, I can't do that".  :-[

H

bobajobrob

« Reply #95 on: 10 September, 2008, 02:45:46 pm »
I managed 4 days this time. Epic fail.

I noticed that after 2 days of abstinence I started getting cravings first thing in the morning, whereas I normally only get them in the afternoon/evening. Seriously not good. On the plus side I didn't notice any withdrawal symptoms (apart from terrible cravings), I just felt like I had more energy than usual.

Starting again from day 1 today...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #96 on: 10 September, 2008, 02:46:27 pm »
Day 1 every day.  Stick with it.
Getting there...

Jezza

« Reply #97 on: 10 September, 2008, 06:43:27 pm »

I noticed that after 2 days of abstinence I started getting cravings first thing in the morning, whereas I normally only get them in the afternoon/evening. Seriously not good. On the plus side I didn't notice any withdrawal symptoms (apart from terrible cravings), I just felt like I had more energy than usual.

Bob. You seem like a nice chap. So apologies for this in advance...

Why did you go out and drink yet again? Cravings? What sort of cravings? 'Gosh, I've got so much energy I think I'll go and get pissed?' Or was it the old 'My life is such a fuck-up I just want to wipe out?' 'I don't know how to have fun so I'll just get legless instead?'   

When you are puking your guts up and staggering all over the road, looking like a complete twat, or remorseful and with zero self-esteem the morning after, cursing yourself for being so weak and knowing full well you're going to do it again next time because you've given yourself a neat little get out clause ('I can't help it - it's The Cravings, you see'), remember just how lame that sounds, and how the only person you're kidding is you. In fact you're not even having a good time when you do it, hence the hand-wringing and mortification of the flesh on here about it afterwards. I went through cravings that made me shiver like a cartoon, teeth going like nutcrackers, with faces appearing in the wallpaper, and I still didn't go out and drink.

The reason is not because I am any stronger than you are - it's because I was sick and tired of lying to myself by saying I needed help and then going back on it, cheating myself and everybody else who took the time to help me, and because the truth, which is staring you in the face, is that you have to stop drinking - not forever, not for a year, but just for today - and you are perfectly capable of doing that, because you already did it today. But it's only going to work as long as you haven't already mentally prepared your next post about gee shucks I've fallen off the wagon again because I'm such a mess, it's beyond my control. If you're sure you want to set this one up as a target, then do it properly. Either call AA, or don't, or keep drinking, or stop, but don't make a fucking great drama out of stopping and then fail to do so on a weekly basis just so you can beat yourself up a bit more.

Right, rant over. Hope this helps  ;D   

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #98 on: 10 September, 2008, 07:27:13 pm »

It's not an epic fail. It's four sober days to your credit. AA might be really useful for you, they'll give you a sponsor you can call when you have the cravings, and you can get a lot of support. You do have to go to lots of meetings though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

bobajobrob

« Reply #99 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:35:31 pm »
Jezza, wasn't trying to make a drama out of it was just trying to keep a record of it because I can't remember when I've stopped and when I haven't. I should probably do this elsewhere.

Kirst, have been to AA and I intend to go back, but it's a bit scary. The people there are great though.