Author Topic: Radio recommendations  (Read 44502 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Radio recommendations
« on: 03 April, 2019, 09:25:41 am »
We have a TV thread but not, as far as I am aware, a general one for radio. So here you go...

And I'll kick it off with a recommendation for the new series of Meet David Sedaris, starting on Radio 4 at 6.30pm tomorrow.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0003rk8

I know this will be good because I went to one of the recordings. He's very entertaining.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Radio recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2019, 10:27:27 am »
We have a TV thread but not, as far as I am aware, a general one for radio. So here you go...

And I'll kick it off with a recommendation for the new series of Meet David Sedaris, starting on Radio 4 at 6.30pm tomorrow.

I know this will be good because I went to one of the recordings. He's very entertaining.
... and pretty unique, IMHO!

Massive fan here.

I started reading one of his books last week. I was pessimistic, as his stage delivery is so brilliant - would the stories work on the quiet page? The answer so far is yes.
[I think it's called Lets Talk to Owls about Dyslexia - or something equally surreal.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2019, 10:52:38 am »

... and pretty unique, IMHO!

Massive fan here.

I started reading one of his books last week. I was pessimistic, as his stage delivery is so brilliant - would the stories work on the quiet page? The answer so far is yes.
[I think it's called Lets Talk to Owls about Dyslexia - or something equally surreal.]
"Pretty unique"? <twitch>.  But yes, he's well worth a listen.

There's a new series of John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme on the way. I know this because I went to a recording last night, in London's famous London.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:04:12 am »
There's a new series of John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme on the way.

:thumbsup:

Consistently the funniest radio sketch show. Although I only discovered it after he'd already done about five series - though obviously I was already familiar with him through other stuff, eg Cabin Pressure. Luckily they're frequently repeated on 4 Extra.

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:12:56 am »

I've never read any of his books but I imagine that it would be impossible to read one without "hearing" his voice.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:19:44 am »
"Pretty unique"? <twitch>.
:D

You are welcome to report me on The Other Thread, where I'm sure many will delight in my ignorance of Proper English!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:21:44 am »

Consistently the funniest radio sketch show. Although I only discovered it after he'd already done about five series - though obviously I was already familiar with him through other stuff, eg Cabin Pressure. Luckily they're frequently repeated on 4 Extra.
Also luckily I've downloaded them all using get_iplayer.  Did you catch Double Acts as well?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:39:07 am »

Consistently the funniest radio sketch show.

The sketch that really hooked me was the "Kirates". (the pirates skulls that had no lips - sorry, should that be "pirate's skulls' " ?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:48:33 am »
Did anyone catch Tumanbay, the third series of which has just finished? The BBC website says "Epic saga created by John Dryden and Mike Walker, inspired by the Mamluk slave dynasty of Egypt."

Palace plotting, intrigue and death. Lots of death.  A wide range of actors, some of whom I've never encountered before and some old favourites (Anton Lesser, John Sessions for example)

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2019, 12:36:15 pm »
Did you catch Double Acts as well?

No, that one passed me by. Will keep an ear out for it on 4 Extra.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2019, 02:48:56 pm »

I can do stuff with dropbox if you want.

« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2019, 04:19:54 pm »
When I saw the headline I was about to recommend a Roberts radio that I had just purchased.
Perhaps the title should be changed slightly to something like: Radio listening recommndations,
or What's worth listening to on the radio?

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2019, 05:49:42 pm »

YHPM

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2019, 06:24:51 pm »

Repeats start Friday 12th!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08t17yt/broadcasts/upcoming
(an awful picture of the brilliant Isy Suttie there)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2019, 02:13:15 pm »
I just listened to about 20 minutes of a new Radio 4 "comedy" called Saddled.

Yes, it's about a cycling club.

No, it isn't worth wasting your time on.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2019, 10:19:22 am »
Been listening to Double Acts over the weekend (thanks, Tim). It's brilliant. Has a touch of Inside No.9 about it.

The one with Alison Steadman and Isy Suttie (Wysinnwyg) is my favourite so far - proper LOL hilarious.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2019, 11:19:00 pm »
Been listening to Double Acts over the weekend (thanks, Tim). It's brilliant. Has a touch of Inside No.9 about it.

The one with Alison Steadman and Isy Suttie (Wysinnwyg) is my favourite so far - proper LOL hilarious.
No problems, glad you're enjoying them. I think English for Pony Lovers is my favourite from that series.

citoyen

« Reply #17 on: 16 April, 2019, 10:18:05 am »
I think English for Pony Lovers is my favourite from that series.

Listened to that one last night. Very good. Took a few unexpected turns!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #18 on: 02 May, 2019, 11:43:03 am »
There's a new series of Simon Evans goes to Market in the six thirty slot on Wednesday on The Home Service Radio 4. He's looking at three big figures from the world of economics, last week was Adam Smith, this week was Karl Marx, next week will be John Maynard Keynes. The final episode will be a fight to the death between the three. Or something. Helped by Tim Harford, off of More or Less, it's v funny. They shoe horned several groan making Marx puns into the latest episode.   

« Reply #19 on: 02 May, 2019, 05:07:04 pm »
I thought Simon Evans Goes to Market was good, although he does sometimes get a bit overexcited and shouty, which I like less. I am also glad John Finnemore is returning; that man has funny bones.

« Reply #20 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:49:41 am »
"Love in recovery" a Radio 4 comedy set at an alcoholics anonymous meeting is one of the best radio things I have heard for a while. Funny and poignant in equal measures. Has a stellar cast, John Hannah, Sue Johnston, Paul Kaye and Rebecca Front amongst others. Series 3 is still available to download from teh BBC.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #21 on: 03 May, 2019, 07:52:13 am »
Another good one is "War and Peace" that's been repeated on Radio4 Extra at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04wz7q2/episodes/player

« Reply #22 on: 06 May, 2019, 09:54:45 pm »
Cerys Matthews Blues Show - Radio 2 Mondays at 9:00pm

Reliably good with great guests.

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 10 May, 2019, 10:40:35 am »
If anyone heard David Sedaris on R4 and was wondering what was the brilliant money-making idea deemed not fit for radio, I can tell you that it was...

(click to show/hide)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 11 May, 2019, 07:39:30 pm »
I hope you are listening to the 3-hr Sedaris-athon on 7extra now - includes his appearance on Ramblings (mainly about litter-picking).

I can't think of anything more down-wiv-the-kidz that I could listen to right now.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------