Author Topic: On St Lucys`s Eve 200  (Read 13836 times)

Re: On St Lucys`s Eve 200
« Reply #75 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:10:50 pm »
I’m wavering. Shropshire cops were advising against non essential travel earlier. I've gotta drive through Shropshire to get there and it does start there!

Any locals able to give any advice/ update?

John

ETA.
I’ve wavered, I’m a DNS.

I’ve been looking at webcams and it’s too gnarly for me. Luckily I finished my RRTY last month!! Was hoping to rock on through, but looks like I’ll (hopefully) start again in Jan, unless I can sneak one in next week...

Will email now.

« Reply #76 on: 09 December, 2017, 10:33:27 pm »
finished ride weather was ok and conditions improved

almost missed start due to no grit on shropshire main roads on the A34

Route is very well suited to this time of year and all roads on the route gritted thumbs up to welsh grtting efforts

« Reply #77 on: 10 December, 2017, 01:57:06 pm »
Good to hear you got round, how many turned up?
Would I have managed on 23c 4 seasons?

Actually it was a good job I dns'd as one of the living room radiator valves decided to leak around 3:30 pm and I had to get a new one from B&Q and replace it before we were flooded! Perhaps it wasn't meant to be for me.

Well done all who did it.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #78 on: 10 December, 2017, 02:16:16 pm »
5 starters

yes 23 tyres were fine i was on them, four season betters than my gators

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #79 on: 10 December, 2017, 04:52:15 pm »
83% DNS = 5 riders .... but they  all finished.

The worse the weather the bigger the smiles. ;D :thumbsup:

Thanks Alison and Paul for looking after them at Dolgellau.  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately at the last minute Peter was unable to attend so I spent  14hrs loitering on the Raven car  Park  :facepalm:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ah3gWONsDYOx7DN7x0CVQEzqI7kb  :sick:

« Reply #80 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:37:42 pm »
Thanks for the feedback oggy and the pictures John, gives me a flavour of what I missed, appreciated.

I actually bought a pair of conti double fire 3 tyres for the thorn raven on Friday afternoon and was frantically trying to fit them. They were rubbing the fork crown at less than half inflated. Going back on Monday. My rear 4season 23c  on the Ribble is rather flat on the crown and I wasn't sure how it would be on the slushy stuff and Icy patches I was anticipating.
This ride is on my list of rides to do.

« Reply #81 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:28:00 pm »
Glad everyone had a safe ride. It turned out to be a beautiful day to be out on the bike :)
serendipity is my satnav

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #82 on: 16 November, 2018, 08:38:19 pm »
Saturday 8th December 2018 St Lucy's Brevet (group-perm') 200km

Usual deal- I'll be breakfasting at The Raven Cafe  Prees Heath nr Whitchurch Shropshire at 7am on Sat' 8th with a stack of perm' cards - so if you decide to ride at last minute, you send me an email to say you're coming, then just turn up and I'll enter you on the line (£3). Route sheet, gpx and, if you prefer to weather watch and 'seize the day',  pre-entry via Paypal are here . http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JPE07/

If you've not heard of this before the note below from the route-sheet should give you the idea, -  or read the thread above.

'This event is designed to offer the best chance for a safe December 200km
It's a simple out and back ride with one intermediate control only. It starts and finishes at Prees Heath (The Raven Cafe opens 7am and Prees F&C cafe closes 11pm) and turns at Dolgellau (Cafe Ty Bwyta Da). There are lots of cafes in between at Llangollen, Corwen and Bala The route is all on quiet A roads (ie gritted) and the navigation is very easy.

Good lights are essential. Make sure you and your bike are all hi-vis’d up.

We’re OK to park (all day) at the Raven. They just want us to park along the extreme perimeter opposite the Cafe entrance. This is so that passers-by don’t get the idea that the cafe is very busy when actually it isn’t.  Of course they’re
expecting us to breakfast with them'

View the route here  http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/jayp/STLUCY

Lee Killestein

« Reply #83 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:38:15 am »
It’s a ‘Yes’ from me John. See you at the Raven Cafe!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #84 on: 26 November, 2018, 01:19:10 pm »
a yes from me

edit

sorry just checked I got some to come and value my house that day

grrrrrrr

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #85 on: 02 December, 2018, 12:32:39 pm »
Forecast is looking reasonable at this (early) stage, so unless that changes dramatically we'll be along at the Raven for this year's outing.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #86 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:12:50 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2651154

'Warm wet westerly winds in winter' - Primary school description of British Climate circa 1950's 
Sounds about right. The first 100k will be hell but the second will be a BLAST.  ;) :o

Lee Killestein

« Reply #87 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:56:54 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2651154

'Warm wet westerly winds in winter' - Primary school description of British Climate circa 1950's 
Sounds about right. The first 100k will be hell but the second will be a BLAST.  ;) :o

Looks a bit blowy around Dolgellau. Full sail on the way back though. Tally ho!

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #88 on: 03 November, 2019, 03:37:47 pm »
Bump. This year on Sat 14th December

St Lucy's Brevet (group-perm') 200km

Usual deal- I'll be breakfasting at The Raven Cafe  Prees Heath nr Whitchurch Shropshire at 7am  with a stack of perm' cards - Entry on-the-line only.  So if you fancy it,  send me an email (perrin_john@sky.com) to say you're coming, then just turn up  (£2). 

If you've not heard of this before the note below from the route-sheet should give you the idea, -  or read the thread above.

'This event is designed to offer the best chance for a safe December 200km
It's a simple out and (perfect retrace) back, ride with one intermediate control only. It starts and finishes at Prees Heath (The Raven Cafe opens 7am and Prees F&C cafe closes 11pm) and turns at Dolgellau (Cafe Ty Bwyta Da). There are lots of cafes in between at Llangollen, Corwen and Bala The route is all on quiet A roads (ie gritted) and the navigation is very easy.

Good lights are essential. Make sure you and your bike are all hi-vis’d up.

We’re OK to park (all day) at the Raven. They just want us to park along the extreme perimeter opposite the Cafe entrance. This is so that passers-by don’t get the idea that the cafe is very busy when actually it isn’t.  Of course they’re
expecting us to breakfast with them'

more https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByvZhS8FXnqWNktIa2hHZFJRRUk/view