Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 81989 times)

Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #225 on: 11 January, 2009, 02:31:55 pm »
That's probably as good a picture of Jan as was taken on the ride, for some odd reason there was always some bloke cycling just in front of her. ;D

I agree with Teethgrinder about the temperature making things harder (although I don't subscribe to his practice of making 30 mile rides into 200 mile rides!)  Even on my relatively short commute into work, when the weathers cold, it is distinctly harder to pull away fast at junctions, almost as though your legs have seized up a bit!  I was also quite happy to get home after doing 55 miles or so yesterday, which was more than enough in that weather, and I definitely needed a cup of coffee when I got in, to replenish some of the heat and energy.

I was also amused reading Teethgrinder's ride report, that he left at 1-30am and got back at 1-30am, so did a 24 hour ride, whereas I almost exactly left at 7am and got back at 7pm, so did a mere 12 hour ride (I suspect many others had times similar to mine).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #226 on: 11 January, 2009, 02:45:46 pm »
That's probably as good a picture of Jan as was taken on the ride, for some odd reason there was always some bloke cycling just in front of her. ;D

:thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #227 on: 11 January, 2009, 05:21:04 pm »

Have you seen this woman? Sometime on Saturday 10th January she was involved in a raid on the Halstead Physiotherapy Clinic. She is believed to have escaped on the back of a tandem piloted by a festive man with a frozen beard.   ;D ;D

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #228 on: 11 January, 2009, 05:32:48 pm »
Glad you got back safely TG. Lots of us worry about you (and not just your sanity!).

+1 so glad to read on YACF you got back safely and not in some newspaper report about some poor hypothermic cyclist found frozen to a bus shelter bench.  I know you have tons of experience and are always prepared for the conditions, but I couldn't help worrying a little. 

I myself had a great time- despite being a little concerned at one point that I might have lost all my right toes.  Hence the Irish dancing (my gran was right after all- she obviously  knew all those Saturday morning lessons I hated so much would come in useful one day).  Super friendly company and super winter wonderland scenery.  I was constantly oohing and aahing at the magical transformation the frost had performed upon the winter vegetation.  Beautiful.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #229 on: 11 January, 2009, 05:37:19 pm »
Damn!  Looks as though I missed a good ride.

I shall put the next one in my diary...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #230 on: 11 January, 2009, 06:42:14 pm »
21st Feb for the next one.  :thumbsup:

Route and weather to be announced.

I knew this would happen!

Can't make the 21st as it's my birthday and will be going to Manchester Velodrome  :)

I could always sell the tickets to keep up my WARTY points though  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #231 on: 11 January, 2009, 06:45:43 pm »
Yes, sadly I have WORK on 7th (and I'm missing the Colney ride, which was excellent last year), 8th is Aunt Phyllis's 90th birthday, 14th is Simon L3's C & M Hilly 50k (recommended), 15th is Essex SE Group 75 mile ride CTC (also v. good), so 21st it is. We don't want to wait too long for the next one, do we now?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #232 on: 11 January, 2009, 06:49:15 pm »
Can we include the SEG 75 in the WARTY series?

« Reply #233 on: 11 January, 2009, 06:55:38 pm »
Can we include the SEG 75 in the WARTY series?
Only if Marshals get extra WARTY points!  ;)

« Reply #234 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:01:27 pm »
Well, it's not for me to grant, but I would like for to del get a few points for marshalling if it also meant he had spare points which he could literally throw at any WARTY riders as they go by - if a point sticks, you get to keep it. We'll need Velcro jackets etc.  ;)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #235 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:04:05 pm »
With much regret I must offer my apologies for the 21st.

Staying on the Yorkshire moors with Mrs T and going to the York railway museum.  ( My belated birthday treat )

I am sure you will all have a wonderfull time  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #236 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:05:18 pm »
No. It's too far for a WARTY. Original Spec: 40 - 60 miles' duration.

Although 75 miles is within Jan's capabilities, we certainly couldn't do it in the specified time on the tandem. I was seriously challenged for time last year on a Trek s/s and I didn't hang around at the controls. We would be back well after dark. I am intending to do this on the Mercian, which was out of action last year.

« Reply #237 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:09:28 pm »
The date should be up to Wowbagger and Annie since it is their series, Wowbagger/Annie Round the Year. While it would be good to set a date that is good for everyone it just isn't going to happen.

« Reply #238 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:10:43 pm »
Furry muff. I'll have some catching up to do in March then! (I'm going to the Manchester velodrome with bobb for the 'Cycling Revolution')

« Reply #239 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:13:09 pm »
Furry muff. I'll have some catching up to do in March then! (I'm going to the Manchester velodrome with bobb for the 'Cycling Revolution')
I'd go but I've got a big WARTY one to shuffle off to.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #240 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:15:58 pm »
With much regret I must offer my apologies for the 21st.

Although that's a disappointment, it clears up one dilemma I had. I was thinking of asking Roger T and WJ to sort out an Ely-based route for Feb, but that will now have to wait.

It appears that National Express have cut a train: the Lpoo St - Peterborough train. There was one yesterday - it was shown as an extra, and I got on one just before Christmas when Annie & I rode from Marks Tey to Danbury and back. It used to call at Stowmarket, Bury St. Eds, Ely, March, Peterborough. Also, the S/end - Ely train fare is prohibitive at £37. I can't find a sensible way of doing it cheaper because the Network SE card doesn't work.

When we do the Ely trip, I think it might have to be an overnighter involving cars...

« Reply #241 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:20:22 pm »
When we do the Ely trip, I think it might have to be an overnighter involving cars...

Or touring bikes and tents. :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #242 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:29:16 pm »

Good call!

« Reply #243 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:35:43 pm »

Good call!
Just try to make it a warm month when it's on.

« Reply #244 on: 11 January, 2009, 07:58:13 pm »
...I'd go but I've got a big WARTY one to shuffle off to.

Does your innuendo have no upper smut limit? You're off the scale del...

annie

« Reply #245 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:03:50 pm »
No. It's too far for a WARTY. Original Spec: 40 - 60 miles' duration.

Although 75 miles is within Jan's capabilities, we certainly couldn't do it in the specified time on the tandem. I was seriously challenged for time last year on a Trek s/s and I didn't hang around at the controls. We would be back well after dark. I am intending to do this on the Mercian, which was out of action last year.

Yep, agreed on this one.

It is going to be hard to find a date to suit everyone, as much as I wish we could.

What is all this nonsense about furry muffs?  I go away for a few short moments and find the thread has headed off towards the gutter, yet again.  Which is just how I like it to be

« Reply #246 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:20:08 pm »
I can make the 21st  :thumbsup:

Anything involving cars I can't do, seeing as I got rid of mine the year before last and never really needed to replace it.

« Reply #247 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:21:27 pm »
What is all this nonsense about furry muffs?
That's TOKaMaKs fault! He made the cock up with the furry muff and should come again with an apology.

annie

« Reply #248 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:31:18 pm »
I can make the 21st  :thumbsup:

Anything involving cars I can't do, seeing as I got rid of mine the year before last and never really needed to replace it.

Excellent news.  I believe you will be able to get to this without a car.

Looking forward to it very much.

I think we ought to have a theme or wear a silly item of clothing, nothing much new there.

annie

« Reply #249 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:31:44 pm »
What is all this nonsense about furry muffs?
That's TOKaMaKs fault! He made the cock up with the furry muff and should come again with an apology.

:demon:  Naughty step