Author Topic: The fluorescent clothing debate  (Read 44319 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: The fluorescent clothing debate
« Reply #325 on: 15 December, 2009, 11:22:27 am »
Just asking for info, that's all.  Whenever this comes up with friends, I'd like to throw this nugget at them without feeling dishonest.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #326 on: 15 December, 2009, 11:23:08 am »
The government has said that it will legislate if helmet use reaches a certain level they will bring in legislation to enforce.
I keep hearing this, I'm open to believing it and it wouldn't surprise me at all, but I haven't seen a source.  Does anyone have one?

Yes.          :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #327 on: 15 December, 2009, 11:28:15 am »
The government has said that it will legislate if helmet use reaches a certain level they will bring in legislation to enforce.
I keep hearing this, I'm open to believing it and it wouldn't surprise me at all, but I haven't seen a source.  Does anyone have one?

Have a look on this page. Not the original text, but a reference to it in George Young's bit, 23 Apr 2004 : Column 546 .

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #328 on: 15 December, 2009, 11:29:49 am »

That'll make the London Velo cycle rental scheme interesting.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #329 on: 15 December, 2009, 01:16:16 pm »
You all seem to be arguing high viz is less efficient than lights/reflective/assertive riding.

No. I am saying that I do not believe fluo yellow is more visible; under sodium light it clearly isn't and in a busy environment, not very much, esp with it being used for so many things; in pitch black, based on my commutes, well it doesn't show. I believe on the other hand that attention, proper lights and reflectors are. Back to the fluo debate, others have also implied that fluo yellow is not a magic shield. I think that this is the point.

Back in France I do believe the Gendarmerie have negated on their dark blue clothing, yet they are very visible in the dark. The same goes with the German Police.

OK, so we will have to agree that we disagree.

On my commute, when it is daylight and a bit misty high vis shows up very well and much better than other colours. As I have said not the magic answer, but useful in some cases. I wouldn't make it compulsory though.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #330 on: 15 December, 2009, 09:58:50 pm »
Back in France I do believe the Gendarmerie have negated on their dark blue clothing, yet they are very visible in the dark. The same goes with the German Police.

In the 6 months I spent in France this year I can't recall ever seeing a high-vis wearing Gendarme.  Yet we must carry high-vis tabards for each m/vehicle occupant and AFAIK wear high-vis when out on the bike tho' I've never made a point of it. 

IMO excessive high-vis causes target fixation.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #331 on: 15 December, 2009, 10:12:07 pm »
Not so, Kirst.  I genuinely think that if people have been through a free, logical, informed process then they should wear whatever they like on their head.
I think that too. Even if what they want to wear is a Viking helmet. My point though, is that there are lots of people who say they are all in favour of free choice but then moan like buggery about people who have exercised their free choice and chosen to wear a helmet. To be fair, most of them seem to be on the CTC forum.

Nobody at work or my GP asked me if I'd been wearing a helmet when I came off on the ice the other day, which surprised me.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #332 on: 15 December, 2009, 10:47:25 pm »

Nobody at work or my GP asked me if I'd been wearing a helmet when I came off on the ice the other day, which surprised me.

They were probably too scared to....  ;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #333 on: 16 December, 2009, 08:11:59 am »
I'm developing a theory about the On The Road section, namely that any thread, no matter what the original subject, if left long enough will morph into a thread about helmets.  :)  A bit like the in car cassette player in one of Terry Pratchet's books that no matter what cassette you put into it will make it play it out as  Bohemian Rhapsody;D
Aero but not dynamic

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #334 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:47:07 am »
Last night, as it was my birthday, I decided to round up my distance to 40km.  Ok, perhaps I should have gone to 45km.  Discuss.

Anyway, so I headed up towards Oaks Park & back.

When Our Kid happened home a few short minutes after I did, he commented that he'd seen me riding past the bus stop as he got off, and that he'd seen my yellow jacket.

I don't have a yellow jacket; it's grey.  But, under streetlights, it shows how 'hi-viz' makes no difference because of the lack of UV.
Getting there...

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #335 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:51:01 am »

When my arm was smashed to pieces, I was asked this a few times (including by the doc).

I was able to answer, "on my arm? No. Why, do you think it would have helped?"

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #336 on: 18 December, 2009, 10:44:23 am »
Happy birthday then, Clarion! I think on your birthday you should wear a fluorescent yellow party hat.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.