Author Topic: Cyclists use Twitter to capture dangerous drivers  (Read 24157 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Cyclists use Twitter to capture dangerous drivers
« Reply #25 on: 20 May, 2013, 06:29:50 pm »
Hope he's ok. :(
Getting there...

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #26 on: 20 May, 2013, 06:38:31 pm »
Group noun and individual - a twatter of twidiots.

The twitter twatter of tiny minds.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #27 on: 20 May, 2013, 06:45:25 pm »
Hope he's ok. :(

According to club mates, nothing serious. :thumbsup:
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #28 on: 20 May, 2013, 06:56:26 pm »
Wasn't it David Cameron who said in an interview that he didn't twitter as "too much twittering makes you a twat"?

I also reached quite a ripe old age before I learned that "twat" wasn't just an alternative pronunciation of "twit".

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #29 on: 20 May, 2013, 09:29:17 pm »
Why should a non-work-related incident have implications for her employment? 

If it was legit to sack people for being a douchenozzle, we'd have very empty halls of power...
Depends if she's registered with a professional body. If I deliberately drove into someone and then bragged about it on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised to be struck off.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #30 on: 20 May, 2013, 09:45:04 pm »
Stand by for the Daily Fail to turn her into a folk hero - hounded by evil tweeting cyclists despite being blonde
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #31 on: 20 May, 2013, 10:53:09 pm »
Nah, she's a Woman Driver and therefore ineligible for folkhero-dom at the hands of the Mail. 

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #32 on: 21 May, 2013, 07:00:55 am »
The Telegraph have picked up on it so it's probably only a matter of time until the Fail starts wailing:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10069696/Driver-admits-knocking-down-cyclist-on-Twitter.html
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 21 May, 2013, 07:22:53 am »
Nah, she's a Woman Driver and therefore ineligible for folkhero-dom at the hands of the Mail. 

If she's 'fit' and flashes a sideboob on the way into court, she'll become clickbait on the sidebar.
Getting there...

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #34 on: 21 May, 2013, 08:02:51 am »
BBC too now. Wish someone on these stories would point out road tax doesn't exist:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22602141

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse than it was. Thankfully only minor injuries.

Mr Hockley, 29, of Norwich, was riding with Iceni Velo cycling club on a narrow country lane, about five miles away from the end of the route at Snetterton.

"A car came tearing round the blind corner and narrowly missed a cyclist in front of me," he said.

"She came on to my side of the road, I took the wing mirror off and I went flying off my bike into a hedge.

"She hit me hard, really hard. I am lucky to be alive.

"But I managed to get out of the hedge and stand up.

"The car was nowhere to be seen. She hit me, and she was gone.

"All I know is that it was a blonde girl driving.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #35 on: 21 May, 2013, 09:32:52 am »

If she's 'fit' and flashes a sideboob on the way into court, she'll become clickbait on the sidebar.

She's blonde and, presumably, has breasts. That's all the Fail needs.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 21 May, 2013, 09:54:03 am »
She'll be in the sidebar before you know it.

Does she cry?  It's even better if they cry...
Getting there...

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #37 on: 21 May, 2013, 09:56:41 am »
It's being talked about on BBC Norfolk. Actually it isn't. They're talking about "Should cyclists pay road tax".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radionorfolk
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 21 May, 2013, 10:13:14 am »
:facepalm:

Is that Alan Partridge's Mid Morning Matters?
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #39 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:57:11 am »
A bloke I work with was on this ride and was cycling with Toby, the victim.  He stopped at a feed station, whilst Toby went up the road with another rider. 10 minutes later Toby is climbing out of the ditch.

I like this from the BBC website;

But when I finished, the aches and pains set in and I had a bit of sulk in the cafe and had an ice-cream.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #40 on: 21 May, 2013, 12:03:39 pm »

She's blonde and, presumably, has breasts. That's all the Fail needs.

Unfortunately that perpetuates a particular stereotype,as does her behaviour.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #43 on: 21 May, 2013, 02:34:34 pm »
And Sky News get road tax correct: http://news.sky.com/story/1093752/drivers-twitter-boast-about-hitting-cyclist

As do the BBC:
The comment on Twitter suggested Toby Hockley, as a cyclist, does not pay "road tax".

A road tax does not exist in the UK but the term is commonly and incorrectly used to refer to the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED), or "car tax" paid on most motorised vehicles as a tax on emissions.

Roads are funded by all UK taxpayers under general and local taxes.

Source:Gov.uk

Full article here
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #45 on: 21 May, 2013, 08:40:48 pm »
The Doctor: This whole world is swimming in WiFi. We're living in a WiFi soup. Suppose something got inside it. Suppose there was something living in the WiFi. Harvesting human minds. Extracting them. Imagine that. Human souls trapped like flies in the World Wide Web. Stuck forever. Crying out for help.
Clara: Isn't that basically Twitter?

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #46 on: 22 May, 2013, 06:12:27 am »
Here's the Alan Partridge fest. The fun starts after the news http://ipayroadtax.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=6365ab2ed6a5931b8ea1f7c18&id=5541cc3c73&e=cdca8464b9  Carlton Reid interview is at 2 hours 8 mins.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #47 on: 22 May, 2013, 07:20:01 am »
Listened to 30 seconds of that before turning off in disgust. How is it that they can take a story about the appalling actions of a driver, and turn it into a discussion on cyclist behaviour? Beggars belief.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #48 on: 22 May, 2013, 09:53:10 am »
Listened to 30 seconds of that before turning off in disgust. How is it that they can take a story about the appalling actions of a driver, and turn it into a discussion on cyclist behaviour? Beggars belief.

Interesting response here
http://cyclingfront.blogspot.co.uk/

spindrift

« Reply #49 on: 22 May, 2013, 10:24:40 am »
Dear Sir

A cyclist gets hurt in a hit-and-run and your programme asks whether cyclists should be on the road. What on earth were you thinking?

Your programme yesterday was an unedifying stream of hatred from some drivers who sounded deranged. That woman from Spixworth could hardly contain her bile that cyclists choose not to use the dangerous, glass-strewn cycle path, she also admitted sounding her horn to intimidate vulnerable road users. She's not fit to have a license, cycle lanes are not compulsory and the advice in the Highway Code is that faster cyclists should use the road. Your programme wasn't insightful or helpful, rather it was rabble-rousing, people who don't know how to drive properly were basically just venting in a horrible, hate-filled way. You are pandering to the minority of drivers who use two tons of metal to bully and intimidate people. It was an awful, dangerously misguided effort, you may well have made my bike ride to work more dangerous.