Author Topic: 11  (Read 14166 times)

simonp

« on: 12 November, 2013, 03:36:52 pm »
3 cyclists killed in London in a matter of days.

Another bus involved, this time in East Croydon.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/story/2013-11-12/cyclist-bus-collision-in-se11/

Re: 11
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2013, 03:39:50 pm »
Awful, just awful.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2013, 03:46:53 pm »
Terrible news.
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2013, 10:57:32 am »
Rust never sleeps

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2013, 11:38:13 am »
Now 12.

Good grief.

:'(

Monday was the anniversary of another death at that very same spot.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2013, 11:41:55 am »
Now 12.

Good grief.

For Crying Out Load,  :'(

take care people it appears that the drivers have become homicidal recently.  :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 13 November, 2013, 11:52:59 am »
Oh shit!
Words fail.

« Reply #7 on: 13 November, 2013, 11:59:52 am »
So sad.

« Reply #8 on: 13 November, 2013, 12:05:08 pm »
Is too sad to have words.. 

my sympathies to all involved and their families.
Just someone's butler

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2013, 12:17:47 pm »
I've just had a weep at my desk at the news.

Bow again.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2013, 03:30:25 pm »
Words fail me.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 13 November, 2013, 05:16:42 pm »
All large vehicles, from the BBC report, and they seem to be the beginning and the end of the problem in London. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #13 on: 13 November, 2013, 05:30:28 pm »
This, from another forum I go on
Another tragedy...

It is a drivers worse fear, hitting someone, regardless of fault.

What is needed is EDUCATION for ALL ROAD USERS.

Cyclists need to be educated of the dangers of - Going down the inside of vehicles, Wearing headphones, Inappropriate clothing, Not obeying the 'rules of the road'.

Drivers need to be educated in being aware of Cyclists erratic movements and Lack of Speed, Giving them room, sharing the road.

Busses need the reintroduction of Conductors to leave the driver to get on with the job of driving.

Lorry's could be kept out of London during Peak times.

Police need to have the Traffic Division brought back and start nicking road users that take the piss!

The list is endless... but for those that think they know what they are doing at Government level... The above is just a reminder!

Make bad road using as antisocial as Drink Driving!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2013, 08:24:42 pm »
The last line of that cross-post is the best.  And the point.

Separately, I persuaded (with very little difficulty) my chief exec to fire off a letter to the Evening Standard describing the present situation as unacceptable in a supposedly world-leading city and demanding that TFL address the shortcomings at Bow in consultation with people that use it. The response back was encouraging - they have spent the afternoon contacting other business leaders asking if they would 'put their names' to the sentiment.  Fingers crossed for some noise tomorrow.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2013, 09:16:54 pm »
I work at a FTSE 250 company, and will try & chat with the CEO - they've got to have some contacts to get some traction, surely.

I've not cycled to work for almost 2 weeks (for various reasons) - I imagine I'll be ultra-cautious tomorrow having read the news for the last 8-9 days.  Absolutely horrific.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »
joshua.neicho@standard.co.uk is the letter editor who seems to have gripped this.  The more letters from employers who want their staff to get to work safely, the better
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2013, 10:51:24 pm »
We've been watching these events with horror from up here. Thoughts are with all the families who've lost loved ones.

Basta ya.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2013, 11:05:47 pm »
The absolute numbers, whilst bad, are still better than last year (though not statistically significant as the death count is still low).

But that does not mean that we should not push for better accommodation for cycles on the streets of London, and experience which can be recognised and repeated elsewhere.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

spindrift

« Reply #19 on: 13 November, 2013, 11:54:56 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jw0Jg1rPGDo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Jw0Jg1rPGDo&rel=1</a>

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #20 on: 14 November, 2013, 07:12:20 am »
I was at the protest ride and I do believe we need to radically redesign many of the major junctions in London.  However,  I do believe the hyperbole employed by some of our more well known activists might do more harm than good.  To talk of these deaths, sad, tragic and avoidable as they are, as "carnage" creates an atmosphere of fear and terror around cycling in the city which is nowhere near justified.  A female friend that I taught to ride a bike this summer rang me to cancel a ride she had planned to attend with me.  After discussions with her husband about the fatalities, watching the news and hearing the comments they had decided it was just too dangerous.  I tried to argue that we were only riding cycle tracks and a few quiet roads, that no activity is risk free, that more people are killed crossing the road, but we don't stop doing that etc etc. to no avail.   How many more, I wonder, are dissuaded from cycling in London by the style of this protest?   In the BBC broadcast link in the above post, there was a second item on KSI's from buses, most of these were pedestrians and the numbers were huge.  Maybe we should campaign more broadly on the whole issue of road safety,  rather than focus on cyclist deaths alone in this way. 

« Reply #21 on: 14 November, 2013, 07:26:00 am »

« Reply #22 on: 14 November, 2013, 08:22:37 am »
I was at the protest ride and I do believe we need to radically redesign many of the major junctions in London.  However,  I do believe the hyperbole employed by some of our more well known activists might do more harm than good.  To talk of these deaths, sad, tragic and avoidable as they are, as "carnage" creates an atmosphere of fear and terror around cycling in the city which is nowhere near justified.  A female friend that I taught to ride a bike this summer rang me to cancel a ride she had planned to attend with me.  After discussions with her husband about the fatalities, watching the news and hearing the comments they had decided it was just too dangerous.  I tried to argue that we were only riding cycle tracks and a few quiet roads, that no activity is risk free, that more people are killed crossing the road, but we don't stop doing that etc etc. to no avail.   How many more, I wonder, are dissuaded from cycling in London by the style of this protest?   In the BBC broadcast link in the above post, there was a second item on KSI's from buses, most of these were pedestrians and the numbers were huge.  Maybe we should campaign more broadly on the whole issue of road safety,  rather than focus on cyclist deaths alone in this way.

This... and sentencing, perhaps?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2013, 09:03:33 am »

The absolute numbers, whilst bad, are still better than last year (though not statistically significant as the death count is still low).

I bow to your superior knowledge on this subject and granted that as a whole, the picture is perhaps not as bad as it sounds - notwithstanding that people are not statistics and even one road death is too many - but three cyclist deaths at one location in a year (Aldgate) is statistically significant, surely?

Cyclist deaths are definitely getting more prominent media coverage than in the past. Which is good. Some of the reporting is a tad sensationalist but bombarding the general public every time there's a death will help drum home the message.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2013, 09:07:38 am »

Maybe we should campaign more broadly on the whole issue of road safety,  rather than focus on cyclist deaths alone in this way.

I totally agree with this. Instead of designing streets for cars, or for cyclists, or for pedestrians, they should be designed for people. A narrow focus on one class of road user will only increase conflict, not reduce it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."