Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 296475 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
After a lengthy period of non-use, iTunes on the PC in the Great Hall has decided it cannot use AirPlay to render musical tunes, because it cannot find the receiver.  Look, you fruity simpleton, it's there, it's switched on, Control Panel says it's right there on 192.168.0.5 and I can connect to it.  Watch!

"Nope" sez FruitCo's Finest "it's not there!"

Dig down into sub-sub-menus on receiver, notice it thinks it's on 192.168.0.4 even though it isn't.  Since it's supposed to get its IP address from the router this is a puzzler.  Turn off DHCP, edit address, turn DHCP back on.  FruiTunes now finds it again. ???

Now I have to sort out the AirPort in the kitchen, which has also gone AWOL.  Still, could be worse.  Could be wireless.

Edit: AirPort also thought it was on 192.168.0.4.  It's no wonder the poor thing got confused.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Thunderbollocks has decided it can't run a calendar without throwing cyclic errors and hogging 100% of one of my CPUs. Trying Evolution as Linux calendar before I trash my settings and redo from scratch...

I hate computers. I just want a fucking calendar that speaks caldav which doesn't suck.

My Inbox is 979 emails away from hitting 100,000
Which I estimate will happen on Monday or Tuesday of next week.
IT love me, they do.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Just performing a refresh install from scratch of Mint on my laptop.  Just to keep it fresh you understand.  Not at all due to dd'ing /dev/zero to /dev/sda5 ready to burn a pi image but missing the critical '5'.  Oh no, that would be silly  :facepalm:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I seem to be unable to pay my electricity bill.
I've done this through internet banking with RBS using Safari on my Mac for several years now but in the past 24 hours I've made 8 FAILED attempts, with everything hanging frozen after I've selected account, payee and amount.
Friend has suggested I try another browser.

I could do this but I might just wait...

If it’s the same system as NatWest, it’s been doing that a lot to me the last year or two.

The mobile app seems to work properly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Friend also suggested new window -> 'Safari can't open page'

Deleted all rbs cookies, tried again in new window and things have FINALLY worked.

How do folk of limited ability cope?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
So much for having a smart watch, it started to bzzz every hour doing the day, but no notification why or what app wants my attention. Might just have to reset the fecker cause it is doing my head in !
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
So my android tablet no longer works with BBC iplayer radio changed to bbc sounds so looking to upgrade the android version from android4.  Looking at playing with android upgrades to lineage and it was difficult due to locked bits on two different phones.

Wish me luck.

essexian

USB 2.0 Mini AB connector/cable. Is there such a thing?

I ask as a couple of months ago I brought a cheap camcorder from an Amazon seller which came with a charging cable. However...this seems to have been misplaced and finding a replacement is proving to be impossible.

I have tried both the Mini A and Mini B type of connectors but they don't fit but see from Wikipeadia that there is a Mini 2.0 AB connector which looks the right size and shape. However, I have not been able to find anywhere that sells them.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Do they exist and if so, does anyone know where I can get one? I have tried the retailer of the camcorder but there were about as useless as could be.

Thanks

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Isn't the point in the AB socket that it will accept both A and B plugs?  I could be wrong, it's USB, which is far too complicated for us mere mortals to keep track of.

It may be some proprietary thing.  Camera manufacturers liked doing that.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Isn't the point in the AB socket that it will accept both A and B plugs?  I could be wrong, it's USB, which is far too complicated for us mere mortals to keep track of.

It may be some proprietary thing.  Camera manufacturers liked doing that.
Ah Kim that would be a great idea.  Guess what, AB socket is just the right shape to not connect to both but enough that you would think that and trying to get the wrong cable in will cause damage.

Think I have that connector on a sony camera, might be worth while to go to a charity shop and see if they have a cable store for you to raid.  Or look on ebay/china suppliers for bits.

So my android tablet no longer works with BBC iplayer radio changed to bbc sounds so looking to upgrade the android version from android4.  Looking at playing with android upgrades to lineage and it was difficult due to locked bits on two different phones.

Wish me luck.

If you can still access t’internet then you can use the bbc sounds website, even tho the app won’t run.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

Wish me luck.

If you can still access t’internet then you can use the bbc sounds website, even tho the app won’t run.

Unfortunately the web browser, if the pad is left unattended doesn't keep the wifi signal switched on for more than 14 or so minutes, whilst the app didn't have that problem.

BBC Sounds: "Hi! Tip of the day: ask Siri to play Radio 4"

Pickles: "Hey Siri, play Radio 4 on BBC Sounds"

Siri: "Sorry, BBC Sounds has not enabled that function with Siri"

:facepalm:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
"Uptime 15,364 days - The Computers of Voyager" by Aaron Cummings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H62hZJVqs2o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Phone rings.  Barakta's mum, with the bad news voice.

GN: Nobody has died.

BN: "I tried to copy the contents of my [iPhone] to my [Mac] laptop, and now it's reverted to 2017"

Give us strength...

ETA: Umpty gigabytes of blurry grandchildren photos appear to be safe and sound in the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia's i-someone-else's-computer service.

ETA: After a lengthy round of iCloud password remote-two-factor-authentication roulette, barakta has a stonking migraine, and her mum still doesn't have a useable phone.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Why won't windows malicious tool remover work, followed the instructions of download, run as administrator and doesn't do anything.

Why.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
David reports that small printer problems we've had for YEARS seem to have vanished since Big Tom decided it was a nice sleeping perch.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
W10 updates. Is there no end to them? Do they have to be so huge and achieve apparently so little? and the server version are just as bad! What a nightmare for uptime :(

I can patch Centos in 5 minutes and rarely need a reboot* whereas I can now pretty much guarantee that any windows box or vbox will be looking at a rich blue "Applying updates" screen for at least 20 minutes a month.

And even WORSE once the patches have been installed there are often random issues that affect services until you do the whole "restart and apply updates" dance.
Grrrrr. Devs - stop developing for MS Server and go linux. PLEASE! or the sysadmins will have to plot revenge.

*and even if it's a kernel patch it can be scheduled in for later
Everyone's favourite windbreak

More a grumble. I've bought into the new Pixel 4, like a true Google fanboi, not JUST because I wanted TEH SHINY, I can normally resist that especially as I was happy with my Pixel 2, but because Mrs Ham was moaning about the performance of her Nexus. By getting this new phone I could pass the Pixel 2 to her, and that would save me (!!) £350 on a new Pixel 3a.

Now, lets gloss over the fact that - having ordered the 4 - I discovered the issue with her phone. "Sweetheart, why have you got 56 Chrome windows open?" - "What's that? I never use Chrome, I just use the home screen Google bar" (which opens a chrome window). The Nexus is now running like a good 'un again.

Anyhow, the 4 arrived today. I knew it had changed to face unlock (instead of fingerprint sensor) but - unlike the iPhone (or at least as I understand it) - facial recognition is not good enough for security apps like banking. Boo.

It is rather spiffingly fast and smooth, and the excellent camera of the 2 is still better. ETA that language is confusing, the four is betterer

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Quote from: Morat
Grrrrr. Devs - stop developing for MS Server and go linux. PLEASE! or the sysadmins will have to plot revenge.
We'd love to, but the PHBs have swallowed the IBM DEC M$ FUD hook, line and sinker.  Unfortunately it's the PHBs that have the money and we, devs,  all have mortgages to pay and having spent years bit-wrangling we are utterly unequipped to do anything else in the world of work. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs