Author Topic: Cyclist killed near Ashford  (Read 2639 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Cyclist killed near Ashford
« on: 06 June, 2017, 08:13:43 am »
I've just read on facebook that a cyclist from Ashford Wheelers who was hit by a car while riding a TT last week has died in hospital.

It happened on the A2070, which is the main road from Ashford down to Romney Marsh. It's a wide, single carriageway A-road with some long, straight sections that tend to encourage excessively fast driving. It's not a road I would normally ride on, but I can understand why they use it for TTs. From what I can gather, the cyclist was hit by a car coming in the opposite direction overtaking a lorry.

RIP John Durey

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/police-appeal-as-cyclist-hurt-126626/
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Cyclist killed near Ashford
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2017, 08:24:40 am »
Very sad RIP

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2017, 11:48:25 pm »
RIP  :'(

I drove down there last week. There was a lot of stupidly fast driving and ridiculous overtakes  :(
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2017, 09:42:37 pm »
Cycle in that neck of the woods on regular basis. Not a road I would chose to ride.
Sad news.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2017, 04:13:36 pm »
RIP.  Sounds like very poor driving. :(
Getting there...

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2017, 04:21:32 pm »
Oh no. :(

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2017, 04:39:46 pm »
I drove along the same road last weekend to the KCA TT. Ride HQ was down at Brenzett but the start line was back up the A2070, and some riders were on their way up when I came through. Because I was observing the 50 limit, drivers behind me were getting impatient, which made me nervous for the riders' safety. Luckily, there were cars coming the other way too, discouraging overtaking.

It's all too easy to see how this incident happened.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2017, 09:27:20 pm »
Sad to hear this but not surprised. Drive this road every Friday and it's always full of aggressive idiots doing stupid speeds and dangerous overtaking. A road i always avoid on the bike

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2017, 11:04:55 pm »
I am Sec of a local club that has seen its own TT suffer badly because this road is used for at least two local clubs TT, it is a fast course but at what cost? Our course is a much more technical (hilly) course so has slower times.
I don't understand the seeking out of "fast courses" to set a PB on, surely a PB on each course means something?
Very sad for the riders friends and family.