Author Topic: Vuelta...embarassing  (Read 18346 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Vuelta...embarassing
« Reply #25 on: 28 August, 2011, 04:42:59 pm »
Well that was a fantastic stage with a great finish.. Shame about the pictures..

(click to show/hide)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #26 on: 28 August, 2011, 05:21:03 pm »
Well that was a fantastic stage with a great finish.. Shame about the pictures..

+1, +1 and +1 to the contents of the spoiler.
The journey is always more important than the destination

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Vuelta...embarassing
« Reply #27 on: 28 August, 2011, 05:27:45 pm »
+1 to all of the above.

(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #28 on: 28 August, 2011, 07:25:05 pm »
I'm still unconvinced about Wiggo, as much as I'd like to be proven wrong. 

Great guy and all that, so hopefully the board-flat 30 mile TT tomorrow will do just that.   :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better!

David Martin

« Reply #29 on: 28 August, 2011, 08:03:05 pm »
I think he has learned where his strengths are. Long steady efforts, and as he has a good power to weight ratio he can make it tell on the long, even climbs that aren't too steep. And he is good enough to be there or thereabouts on the things he isn't so good at.

Much better and more mature performance than the last few years.

citoyen

Vuelta...embarassing
« Reply #30 on: 29 August, 2011, 04:23:17 pm »
He's like a naturally aspirated version of Indurain.

d.

« Reply #31 on: 29 August, 2011, 05:16:06 pm »
TT - Well that was all very surprising.

(click to show/hide)

David Martin

« Reply #32 on: 29 August, 2011, 07:24:38 pm »
ITV 4, stop telling us the result at the beginning and showing the TT all out of order. It's called television m not print media. Tell us a story, keep us in suspense and finally reveal the result.

Pish editing. Complete rubbish presentation.

..d

citoyen

« Reply #33 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:45:09 pm »
I like Ned Boulting and Matt Rendell but the rest of the production lets them down.

d.

gonzo

« Reply #34 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:51:47 pm »
I have to go to Pez cycling for the news as my usual, Velonews, are basically not reporting on it which is strange.

« Reply #35 on: 29 August, 2011, 09:25:54 pm »
I like Ned Boulting and Matt Rendell but the rest of the production lets them down.

d.

I find ITV4 good for the chat and speculation at the beginning and end, but Eurosport has far better commentators, bearing in mind Uncle Phil isn't available (I can't stand that man and that man is a man by the name of Paul Sherwen, even though he does know what he's talking about).

Anyone know what's happened to Duffers?

gonzo

« Reply #36 on: 29 August, 2011, 09:41:34 pm »

I hear that the man who phoned Duffers up to tell him that his services were no longer required, after accidentally mentioning that he'd, "been on holiday to a Marseillian in France, have you heard of it?" actually died while waiting to get a word in*. Rumour has it that a phone still dangles out of the cradle somewhere in British Eurosport HQ in a sealed room, but if you press your ear to the door, you can hear all about the local wildlife (oysters apparently).

*after 2 days and discovering that it's exceedingly hard to kill ones self with a bic pen, the poor man hanged himself with the phonecord.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #37 on: 29 August, 2011, 11:28:09 pm »

I hear that the man who phoned Duffers up to tell him that his services were no longer required, after accidentally mentioning that he'd, "been on holiday to a Marseillian in France, have you heard of it?" actually died while waiting to get a word in*. Rumour has it that a phone still dangles out of the cradle somewhere in British Eurosport HQ in a sealed room, but if you press your ear to the door, you can hear all about the local wildlife (oysters apparently).

*after 2 days and discovering that it's exceedingly hard to kill ones self with a bic pen, the poor man hanged himself with the phonecord.

;D ;D ;D :hand: ;D ;D ;D ;D Bless old Duffers I used to like listening to his commentary, he wasn't all bad :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #38 on: 30 August, 2011, 10:51:52 am »

;D ;D ;D :hand: ;D ;D ;D ;D Bless old Duffers I used to like listening to his commentary, he wasn't all bad :)

+1

I well remember his commentary as a race went over the Col de Deves (not as exciting as it sounds) in the Tricastin that not only completely failed to tell the viewers what was happening in the race, but also completely failed to get the details of the local food and wine right.

I could easily forgive him both.

« Reply #39 on: 30 August, 2011, 08:55:20 pm »

ROFL  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Re: Vuelta..Wiggins is leading!
« Reply #40 on: 31 August, 2011, 08:21:58 pm »
Wiggins is in the lead!  WOOT WOOT!  :thumbsup:

David Martin

« Reply #41 on: 31 August, 2011, 09:32:41 pm »
One has a nasty feeling that wiggins will lose the Vuelta to Nibali by less than team Sky lost in the TTT... The pure climbers know that, like today, if they can hang on to Wiggo then they can take back 20-30 seconds at the top. For Nibali the gains will only be a handful of seconds. It is too close to call - could it be decided on a time bonus from an intermediate sprint?

citoyen

Vuelta...embarassing
« Reply #42 on: 31 August, 2011, 11:05:08 pm »
One has a nasty feeling that wiggins will lose the Vuelta to Nibali by less than team Sky lost in the TTT...

Have a horrible feeling you could be right. Nibali is looking very strong.

Mind you, Wiggo is also looking strong and he did take a chunk out of Nibali, Anton, Rodriguez etc on Saturday, so you never know...

I'm increasingly convinced he would have won the TdF though. Sky had a much stronger team there and the route was perhaps less suited to pure climbers. He'd certainly have given Cadel a race, at least.

d.

David Martin

« Reply #43 on: 31 August, 2011, 11:08:22 pm »
Cadel and Wiggo are definitely two of a type. I would put Wiggins as stronger for the TT and mountains (just, if he like Evans rides them at a constant threshold pace) but not as good in the sprints and short steep climbs, where Evans has the edge.

If he can keep this up for a few more days then it is definitely looking good. Green and Yellow (and Olympic gold) next year? What odds would you get for that?

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #44 on: 01 September, 2011, 09:36:21 am »
If he can keep this up for a few more days then it is definitely looking good. Green and Yellow (and Olympic gold) next year? What odds would you get for that?

Very long ones I would imagine.  ;D
a great mind thinks alike

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #45 on: 01 September, 2011, 09:39:54 am »
When I see this thread title why does the first word always appear as "Vulva"?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #46 on: 01 September, 2011, 10:15:27 am »
When I see this thread title why does the first word always appear as "Vulva"?

Because you're a dirty old man?  ;)

a great mind thinks alike

Tim

« Reply #47 on: 01 September, 2011, 02:03:20 pm »
Tom Boonen's injury :sick:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #48 on: 01 September, 2011, 03:01:22 pm »
The Eurosport article I read about Boonen's injury has this photo of him as he goes to sit back on his saddle.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

citoyen

« Reply #49 on: 01 September, 2011, 03:08:50 pm »
I thought cocaine was supposed to ruin your septum, not your perineum.

d.