Author Topic: asthma  (Read 27868 times)

Re: asthma
« Reply #25 on: 19 May, 2008, 11:34:01 am »
I didn't realise JC has asthma as well. Gosh, I'm trying to imagine handling an autistic child during an asthma attack. That must be both terrifying and exhausting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

annie

« Reply #26 on: 19 May, 2008, 12:27:05 pm »
I didn't realise JC has asthma as well. Gosh, I'm trying to imagine handling an autistic child during an asthma attack. That must be both terrifying and exhausting.

His asthma is much better then it was, we previously used a nebuliser up to 5 times a day.  JC was born at 26 weeks and suffered as a result of long term ventilation.  Summer is always the worst time, he is allergic to grass pollen amongst other things.  We also carry an Epipen so life is much easier now.  Stress triggers an asthma attack but I have nearly always managed to calm things down.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 19 May, 2008, 12:41:54 pm »
It's not a preventer in the sense that you should take it regularly like the "brown" inhalers - salbutamol increases blood pressure and has other nasty side-effects.

Hmm. Well I'm supposed to take 2 puffs twice daily and as required . . . I can tell it is wearing off, my chest feels compressed by lunchtime.

I have low blood pressure anyway, so *that* side effect isn't a worry.

That still doesn't sound good to me.  Normally you'd get Becotide or similar for everyday use.  It's also best to take the minimum possible dose, i.e. one puff rather than two, if you can get away with it.  According to one GP I had, if you have a second puff immediately after the first, you get more propellant than medicine anyway - something to do with the tiny nozzle freezing, like a car's carburettor.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 19 May, 2008, 12:57:35 pm »
Seretide is a preventer but is actually a combination of a steroid (fluticasone) and salmeterol, a long-acting reliever ( aka Serevent), so it's not quite so simple.

« Reply #29 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:48:06 pm »
STUPID BL**DY CLEANERS!
Have been asked to stop spraying air fresher in the office. So I heard the spft spft behind me, turned round in time to see one hastily capping and putting air freshener can back in pocket.

I then politely went up to the cleaners and asked them to not use the air freshener. So she denies spraying it, says it was polish. I WATCHED TO SPRAY IT YOU MORON AND YOU SAW ME LOOKING AT YOU.

sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:56:28 pm »
Did posting the above remove the air freshener from your lungs?
 ;)  ;)
Metaphors...

« Reply #31 on: 20 May, 2008, 04:04:32 pm »
Off, maybe, but not out. Still have clamp on chest.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:17:14 pm »
Poor thing! Have you used your inhaler recently?
You might find a cup of tea helpful.
Get better soon!

Fi

« Reply #33 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:41:34 pm »
It might well be polish, it's an old trick.  You squirt a bit of polish in the room, people then smell it and think it's been cleaned.  I've seen a cleaner do it, the idle bugger.

I'd have thought polish would be as bad as air freshner.

annie

« Reply #34 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »
I don't blame you, nasty women.

If someone sprays the stuff near me I lose my voice, not always a bad thing.  I then have to take my inhaler straight away, the same with glass polish sprays.

« Reply #35 on: 20 May, 2008, 10:15:10 pm »
I complained about it, and they aren't going to use any aerosols any more.

1 shot of inhaler sorted me out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #36 on: 05 February, 2010, 10:18:32 am »
Time for another inhaler. Been getting the odd problem lately, and certainly I've been struggling to keep speed up on the bike, and been very exhausted by commuting.

More sensible doc, she gave me a repeat prescription this time.

Something confuses me, maybe you more experienced asthma people can help.

First time I went, I managed to get 563 on the peak flow meter (although it took several goes.)

This time I could only manage 480. The doc seemed to think that wasn't too bad.

I've checked charts, and 480 is low for my age and height, very low.  Am I missing something, or was the doctor missing something? Maybe this is just normal for asthmatics (but then I'm only a part time asthmatic).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #37 on: 05 February, 2010, 01:04:43 pm »
I wouldn't stress too much peak flow if I were you, as it's better for tracking your control, rather than comparing against others. In that technique plays a part, the predicted values are just a guide. After being given one as a kid, and playing with it for fun, I can usually blow 710. Bad for me (as in recovering from a cough/cold) is 650, which is on the normal curve for my age/height.

« Reply #38 on: 05 February, 2010, 01:08:00 pm »
Cheers for that. Maybe I should get a meter so I can start recording what is 'normal' for me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 05 February, 2010, 08:39:53 pm »
Cheers for that. Maybe I should get a meter so I can start recording what is 'normal' for me.

Ask nicely and your GP may prescribe one.

I have extensive graphs which show that peak flow is mostly useless as an indication of how well my asthma is behaving.  For other people, it's very useful.  Experienced doctors (generally the ones who've seen asthma suddenly go bad a few times) understand this.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #40 on: 05 February, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »
I can make the pointer hit the end of the scale (800).  It doesn't really prove anything unless you're having an attack at the time.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 05 February, 2010, 08:42:18 pm »
480 is a bit low for you but fine for me  ;) ;D
Perhaps youur doctor accepts there is some mild bronchoconstriction, which is why she's prescribed the inhaler, but that it's not at a life-threatening level.
Get a peak flow meter and collect the data you crave.
I'm sure your peak flow will rise after you've used your inhaler a few times.
If you're needing salbutamol regularly you and your doctor should consider whether you'd benefit from a preventer (steroid) inhaler.

« Reply #42 on: 05 February, 2010, 11:46:02 pm »
It's intermittent - and when I'm susceptible, aerosols like synthetic scent and cig smoke trigger it.

I've asked on the Asthma foundation forum - consensus is that knowing your normal peak flow is good.

Also, yeah, it's possible to 'cheat', but you can learn a consistent technique and get some sort of long term measure. They are pretty cheap - £7
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 07 February, 2010, 09:55:52 pm »
Peak flow is an awful measure.  It distracts you from watching the other, more subtle symptoms, and can mislead you into thinking you're OK when you're not, or vice versa.

fwiw, 480 is high for me - on a good day.
Getting there...

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #44 on: 08 February, 2010, 10:56:36 am »
Agreed, Clarion - mine is below 500 all the time, and doesn't vary too much between feeling good and not good. Slihgtly sore this morning (bit coldy) but won't bother measuring.

Listen to your bronchioles, mrcharley  :) , and give your office cleaning company an earful.  Inconsiderate buggers. >:(

« Reply #45 on: 08 February, 2010, 11:22:17 am »
OK, cheers, guys.

You know, you've just removed my excuse for being so slow? damn you both  :P

My bronchioles say I'm breathing through rusty wire wool. Is this normal? Steel is real, I think. With treatment, can this be converted to Ti successfully?  Inhaling soot seems counterproductive.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Marco Stefano

« Reply #46 on: 08 February, 2010, 01:06:31 pm »
OK, cheers, guys.

You know, you've just removed my excuse for being so slow? damn you both  :P

My bronchioles say I'm breathing through rusty wire wool. Is this normal? Steel is real, I think. With treatment, can this be converted to Ti successfully?  Inhaling soot seems counterproductive.

Stuff excuses - get the right drugs, keep calm and carry on.   :thumbsup:
Rusty wire wool is entirely normal, if annoying. Not sure about Ti conversion - consult your local alchemist.

Re: asthma - sanity check on symptoms, please
« Reply #47 on: 12 February, 2010, 10:27:35 am »
I'm not short of breath, unless I talk too much or run up stairs.

Chest feels a bit tight. Throat ditto.

Pulse is thumping loudly.
Head is constantly dizzy. Yesterday I stood up fast, head went BANG BANG like my pulse was going to make it explode and the room span round.
I'm cold and my fingers are pale, fingernails are pale, some of them white and stay that way after being pressed. Usually I have pink fingers.

wtf is going in, is this just some asthma wierdness?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Marco Stefano

« Reply #48 on: 12 February, 2010, 11:08:22 am »
Sounds like the onset of a cold, if you are not gurgling green stuff. If you are, it might be the onset of bronchitis / chest infection. Hopefully option 1.

I have had a stinking cold all week, gone through a roll of paper towels for hankies. Slipped over on the works car park on Tuesday, feeling dizzy from cold symptoms might have contributed to that. Now getting into the 'slightly breathless all the time' mode. Coughing makes me breathless.

If you do have asthma, colds can knock you back a bit more than other folks. Don't be afraid to use your inhaler to make you feel more comfy. Eat well, drink lots, take things a little easier, be nice to yourself.

« Reply #49 on: 12 February, 2010, 11:24:42 am »
No snot.

Lungs were gurgly earlier in the week.
<i>Marmite slave</i>