Author Topic: They don't want my blood  (Read 32212 times)

Chris S

Re: They don't want my blood
« Reply #25 on: 26 January, 2009, 10:21:34 am »
Didn't get a chance to do it before I went away (and the vaccinations would have stopped me anyway). Now on a 6 month hold for going to a malarial area (Iguazu). At least they'll stop sending me stuff every other week and automatically start again in July when I am able to donate (although this is bound to be 3 days before LEL!).

Bwwwaaahahahahahahahaaaaa!  ;D

You'd think so, wouldn't you? They continued to send #1 son stuff every other week despite him:

1. Informing them he was having a bunch of Hep/Malarial vaccines before going away.
2. Informing them he was going away for 3 months.
3. Informing them he was back, but had been to a Malarial zone.

He's moved out now - and cunningly hasn't given them his forward address - so we get it all now  ::-).

« Reply #26 on: 26 January, 2009, 10:24:48 am »
I don't mind. I like post.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #27 on: 26 January, 2009, 10:34:34 am »
What really hacks me off is that Scotland is short of blood donors. It would be relatively simple to make use of eg the uni or other place in town outside of working hours. I cannot get up to Ninewells on the one day a week they collect in the early evenings in time.

Make it easier for people and they will get more blood.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #28 on: 26 January, 2009, 10:57:16 am »
Yeah, our local blood place is great, it's open every day and you just turn up, scan your card, confirm you're still not in the habit of Having Sex With Men (stupid rule), and away you go.  It certainly takes away the 'can't make it this week' mentality that stopped me donating before I came to university.  I'm due to go later this week.   :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 26 January, 2009, 01:01:41 pm »
I'm also banned due to receiving the stuff. (although I think this rule came in SINCE my transfusion :( ).

So on behalf of all us takers, may I thank all you givers  :thumbsup:  :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #30 on: 26 January, 2009, 08:43:54 pm »
I'll be doing my bit next week.   :thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #31 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:50:50 pm »
They won't let me. I went to give blood about 3 years ago, the first time for a long time, and they went through the questionnaire. Being on medication for palindromic arthritis (closely linked to rheumatoid) precipitated a flurry of phone calls and a Life Ban: autoimmune disease.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #32 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:30:46 pm »
I'm trying to sign up (after years of hiding thanks to Flucloxacillin), however I fail on 4 separate questions in the online check:-

3) Have I been outside the UK in the last 12 months. Errr. Yes.
4) Have I stayed outside the UK for more than 6 months in one go. Yes.
If they failed everyone who'd been outside the UK in the last year, they'd get bugger-all blood. They've taken my blood after answering "Yes" to both, after asking supplemental questions.

Anywhere in Europe, N. America, Japan, Australia etc is fine. Some other countries it depends on the area, or time of year.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 28 January, 2009, 12:52:41 am »
Sex in sub-Saharan Africa is a no-no AFAIR...

« Reply #34 on: 28 January, 2009, 01:20:49 pm »
I think that's sex with an inhabitant of sub-Saharan Africa, rather than sex with someone who normally resides elsewhere, but who happened to be there at the same time as you - e.g. your spouse.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #35 on: 05 February, 2009, 02:46:09 pm »
I'm under retest status having given for years.
Its the no need to worry but can we take just a test tube full next vist letter.
The next visit they shut 30 minutes earlier having driven like mad to get here halfway across the country.Ah well maybe once I am clear of whatever they think I have I can start  to give again.

« Reply #36 on: 06 February, 2009, 05:47:56 pm »

Gave my 50th today :)

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
« Reply #37 on: 06 February, 2009, 05:55:44 pm »

Gave my 50th today :)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...... though maybe not the best OP to put it in  ;D
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #38 on: 07 February, 2009, 02:13:31 am »
I want your blood, seriously thankyou all cos it's people like you that are helping me keep healthy and surving atm, without it I'd be in a very very bad place.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #39 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:46:52 pm »
Well they got 470 ml of top quality AB+ from me today, and I got a very nice slate coaster from them.  :thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #40 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:53:43 pm »
My monogamous heterosexual brother can't give his O-ve blood in Israel.
He lived in Britain during the 1980s and ate BEEF!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #41 on: 10 February, 2009, 06:54:43 pm »
My monogamous heterosexual brother can't give his O-ve blood in Israel.
He lived in Britain during the 1980s and ate BEEF!

Maybe they misunderstood that term?  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: 10 February, 2009, 07:18:00 pm »
 ;D ;D

They are worried about vCJD / BSE.

My brother has theoretically just about the (microbiologically) cleanest [1] purest blood possible but ...

[1] no piercings, tattoos, drugs, sex with men, exotic travel etc.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #43 on: 10 February, 2009, 07:46:31 pm »
A long time ago they told me that I could only give 'short pints'. I felt so crap for days afterwards that I still have my little Scottish Blood Transfusion Service booklet marked up with one short pint.

Now with Colitis/Crohn's I'd be marginal anyway.

So I'd better stay away from those biscuits and slate coasters.
It is simpler than it looks.

Martin

« Reply #44 on: 29 May, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »
A long time ago they told me that I could only give 'short pints'. I felt so crap for days afterwards that I still have my little Scottish Blood Transfusion Service booklet marked up with one short pint.

I remember those; it was a bit of a PR exercise rather than turn donors away, not seen any for a while at work; apparently short pints are the norm in Japan. I'm surprised they marked it; in England/Wales you get credited with a donation even if they turn you away on low Hb etc.

I was sort of commited to not atteding my donor session today as I had a dental appointment just before which bans you for 24 hrs if you've had a drill or polish;

but my nice cheap filling is going to have to be a crown instead (£198 FFS and yes that's NHS  :() so I was able to stick my arm out for #77

Chris S

« Reply #45 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:34:33 pm »
I have my next appointment on the 8th June; following a 200km Audax on the 6th, and the Norwich BHF 100 mile ride on the 7th. I'm fully expecting to fail the Copper Sulphate test and be sent packing.

Martin

« Reply #46 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:44:06 pm »
I have my next appointment on the 8th June; following a 200km Audax on the 6th, and the Norwich BHF 100 mile ride on the 7th. I'm fully expecting to fail the Copper Sulphate test and be sent packing.

unlikely; if anything you'll be dehydrated and have a higher than normal Hct;;

another new thing (there seems to be one at each new session these days) is that they get you to drink a pint of H20 while waiting; the theory presumably being that you replace the lost circulatory volume in the time you are at the donor session.

border-rider

« Reply #47 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:46:34 pm »
I had my pre PBP2003 medical the day after the Bryan Chapman.  The nurse commented that she'd never seen such an oxygenated blood sample :)

Martin

« Reply #48 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:47:34 pm »
I had my pre PBP2003 medical the day after the Bryan Chapman.  The nurse commented that she'd never seen such an oxygenated blood sample :)

By which she presumably meant red rather than purple? venous blood tends to be the latter, not sure how riding a bike could affect that. We only routinely measure Hb; red cell count-RBC, mean cell volume, mean cell Hb, not how much O2 they carry.

maybe it was altitude effect?  ;) (proven to boost RBC)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #49 on: 30 May, 2009, 10:13:06 am »
another new thing (there seems to be one at each new session these days) is that they get you to drink a pint of H20 while waiting; the theory presumably being that you replace the lost circulatory volume in the time you are at the donor session.

It does make a difference.  After my first couple of times, I've subsequently always drank at least 2 pints of water in the hour before I donate, as I've found it avoids feeling even slightly light headed afterwards.