Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 81930 times)

Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #200 on: 10 January, 2009, 10:33:09 pm »
 :'( :'( me was not on ride.

but very happy for you all.   :)
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #201 on: 10 January, 2009, 10:55:38 pm »
And another thing!

I've been reading up on the airfield we went past. It was a RAF then USAAF base during WWII. It then got sold off and the runways got pulversised and reused as the A12. 

Glen Miller played there. Before he went missing, obv.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #202 on: 10 January, 2009, 11:16:06 pm »
They looked like Dachsteins to me - see near the bottom.
....and right at the bottom of cometworm's link are the HotHands I used in my Buffalo mitts (further up the same page) - not a trace of chilly digits all day. Well worth the cost, even if you pack some only for emergencies.

Some great photos, from all the snappers - actually they make it look colder still than it felt!

annie

« Reply #203 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:17:07 am »
I do hope that Teethgrinder arrived home safe and well. 

cometworm

« Reply #204 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:19:36 am »
I'm getting some of these to go in my shoes - I think they would make a huge difference. I have fond memories of wearing these in winter boots and being toasty warm.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #205 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:21:45 am »

He was on the forum at 3 this morning. Either he's OK or the burglars managed to find his computer and log in.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #206 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:30:58 am »
Does the man ever sleep?!!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #207 on: 11 January, 2009, 10:31:04 am »
A big diolch yn fawr to Wowbagger and Annie for a great ride!  :-* I hope Annie that the birthday celebrations are continuing into Sunday.

That was a hell of a day: I don't think I have been that cold on a bicycle before! The two best things about our inaugural WARTY were the people and the winter landscape. Positivity and encouragement can achieve so much, it was definitely people trying to boost others up (I nearly thought I was going to bail at the strt) that helped the day go so swimmingly, plus the genius of wowbaggers re-design of the route. Winter had brought a new quality to the Essex climes, frost laden trees which every so often sprinkled onto us as we rode through those ice packed lanes. My feet didn't warm up until 10 minutes before the pub, the two hills before really helped getting the blood flowing!

Thanks to those that helped me with my p*ncture, that was my 3rd one this week, so I am hoping (touch rubber) that my quota for 2009 has been achieved.  ::-) Here's to the next WARTY!

« Reply #208 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:07:26 am »
My big warty one is going up now and I should be offloaded by 1130.

Clicky:thumbsup:

« Reply #209 on: 11 January, 2009, 12:21:00 pm »
I had wool insoles in my shoes (from Lidl) and my feet were not really a problem on this ride (the mesh on my summer shoes was blocked by toe warmers and neoprene overshoes).

I must have used tons of energy trying to keep warm; I was exhausted last night and slept like the proverbial log, even though it was not a strenuous ride by any stretch of the imagination.

Am glad to hear TG was logged in; that makes it much less likely that his cold, dead body is lying dead under a hedge somewhere after attempting to spend the night outdoors (several of us tried to dissuade him of this yesterday afternoon).

(Tim H, my brain was too frozen to even register what the loops might be for!)

annie

« Reply #210 on: 11 January, 2009, 12:23:23 pm »
I too am exhausted today even though we didn't ride very fast.  Still can't get temp above 35.5 though.  Sat with a hot water bottle and several layers of clothing.

I may retire to the sofa this afternoon for a little rest.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #211 on: 11 January, 2009, 12:25:18 pm »
GWS. Is your normal body temperature normal, as it were?

It's much warmer here today. The temperature has moved significantly above freezing.

annie

« Reply #212 on: 11 January, 2009, 12:26:35 pm »
GWS. Is your normal body temperature normal, as it were?

It's much warmer here today. The temperature has moved significantly above freezing.

It is normally about 36.5 so I am ok.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #213 on: 11 January, 2009, 12:35:11 pm »
I too am exhausted today even though we didn't ride very fast.

I agree with your good self and NSTN - I feel strangely wiped out today. Hope you feel better today Annie!

annie

« Reply #214 on: 11 January, 2009, 12:39:02 pm »

I agree with your good self and NSTN - I feel strangely wiped out today. Hope you feel better today Annie!

I think that many of us will be dehydrated.  My drink had turned to slush and I was unable to get anything out of the bottle at one stage.

Wrap up, eat and drink plenty and prepare for the next WARTY.

:-*

« Reply #215 on: 11 January, 2009, 12:47:21 pm »
A few photos from elevenses and the train back.
(Click on the image for a 640x480 image, or the "Original" text for the full size original).

Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #216 on: 11 January, 2009, 12:54:22 pm »

He was on the forum at 3 this morning. Either he's OK or the burglars managed to find his computer and log in.

Yes, I got home at 0130 this morning. I was going to write about the ride, but started dozing off.

It was a very good ride and I'm glad that I made it.
Off at 0150 Saturday morning for a leisurely 80 mile ride to the start. Nice and easy going and no hills to climb. The only thing was the cold. I was wearing a thermal base layer, a fleece cycling top, a woolly jumper, a nylon fronted jacket and my Gore Tex. Plus a pair of shorts, long johns and my warm cycling longs, a la wowbagger. Plus a pair of cheap ski gloves for my paws and two pairs of socks for my tootsies, but no overshoes, just my holey pair of shoes.
A nice easy relaxed ride along the A507 with Planet Rock on my poket DAB radio for company. Then into the lanes through Ashwell for a shortcut to Royston at around halfway. No trouble with ice on the roads here, but they had all been gritted, so were slippery and needed care.
After Royston, it became slightly colder and the landscape was notably more white. On to Saffron Walden to the 24 hour Tescos for a drink, some food and a brief rest before pressing on to Braintree, then a  quick dash along the A120 to Marks Tey to meet the others. I arrived just before 0900, which allowed time for a coffee and Crunchie bar at the petrol garage. It was slightly further than I anticipated at 87 miles.
Then to the train staion to meet the others as they arrive.
There was a good turnout of riders for this ride. More than I expected. Annie must be very popular, which is quite understandable really.
It wasn't long before a group of about 18 were heading into the lanes for a day awheel. Within a few minutes, wowbagger had trouble with his navigation thingy. Then a little while later, we took a wrong turn and made  retrace.
The roads were more icy than I expected them to be, but Essex did feel colder than sunny Buckinghamshire. It was colder than I expected too. OK, I wasn't expecting it to be warm, but I thought that it would be a degree or two above zero. With the cold overnight ride and having not eaten great deal considering the weather and distance ridden, I was looking forward to the stop at the coffee shop. I happily ate a panini and still felt hungry afterwards.
Some were feeling the cold and the apparent lack of heating in the coffee shop wasn't doing them any favours. I felt quite warm myself and never noticed whether there was any heating on or not. As soon as we hit the road again, someone decided to get themselves a puncture. This wasn't good for those who were feeling the cold. NSTN decided to peruse the shelves of Blockbuster while we waited for the puncture to be repaired. Meanwhile, Jane practiced her dancing, which seemed to be based on a cross between the Supermarionation puppets and Riverdance.
We were soon on the move again and into the lanes. Some icy patches were taken on foot, but there were only a few patches. While cycling with the group along the corridoor of lanes through Christmas card scenery, I realised that I was really enjoying this ride. The scenery was really very good. As wowbagger said, it's only about every 10 years you get to see this sort of thing with the iced up trees. In my experience, the last time I saw anything like this was in 1995 when riding in freezing fog, so it does seem about right. I hope that those who were feeling the cold apreciate what they saw and in spite of the cold, consider themselves lucky to see wht they saw, rather than being unlucky for feeling cold. Even if only in retrospect. If it helps, I can assure you that freezing fog is much wose than the weather we had. Saying that, they were very tough cycling conitions.
Wowbagger had wisely decided to cut the ride short. A very good move considering how some of us were feeling. It would have been extremely miserable for some of us who were feeling the cold. Having fun was the idea of the ride, so that was the thing to do.
After a slow and carefull ride, we were in a pub, which had a fire burning. Much warmer than the coffee shop. The menu here seemed to be more about taste than putting the calories in, so I decied on just a bagguette instead of a very tasty, but rather small meal. NSTN seemed much warmer and happier now. Annie was having a good time and her usual happy self. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. I know that I certainly was.
Then the last few miles back to Marks Tey station. We got a bit split up on the way. NSTN and co were waiting anxiously for their 4th companion to arrive before their train left, not wanting to wait in the cold for the next train. They needed to be together to use their groupsave ticket, but judjing by the fact that I watched about 10 cyclists board the train, NSTN included, I assume that it all went well for them.
Then it was time for the ride home. A slightly longer route to avoid the now busy A120. A very enjoyable ride. But after Saffron Walde, I was getting tired. The hills, or what counts for hills around there, were becoming a bit of a push and I was gettng sleepy. Not good in this cold weather. I was feeling colder as I grew more tired. I stopped for a drink and a quick snack then pressed on. I was carrying my -10 rated sleeping bag, just incase I got tired and needed a rest. But I knew that if I did use it, getting out of it would be a struggle. It's hard to get yorself to come out of the warm and into the cold. But instead, I decided on seeing if the A1 service station at Baldock was open. (It's like a motorway service station, but not 24 hours) It was only about 2200 ish and the services were open. I bought some warm drinks and dozed in a comfy chair here until 2300, then, feeling much more awake, made my way home, now feeling less tired, less cold and much better. I had been awake for almost 24 hours. The remaining 30 miles or so all went by easily and by 0130, I was home again.
210 miles in under 24 hours. Not bad going for the conditions and with a very slow 30 miles in the middle. But it was a very enjoyable days ride.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #217 on: 11 January, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »
 :o :o :o

OMG - you are bloody superman! It was myself that got a puncture, the thorn that Wowbagger pulled out of it was quite big.

« Reply #218 on: 11 January, 2009, 01:14:40 pm »

OMG - you are bloody superman!
Of course he is, he's a Custard Brother.  ::-)

« Reply #219 on: 11 January, 2009, 01:29:08 pm »

Cycling in cold weather is very tiring. It does make it much harder. It certainly took the edge off my speed riding to and from Marks Tey. The panniers didn't help either ;D
You do burn a lot of calories keeping warm. Also, you muscles get cold and don't work so well. I was starting to feel it in my legs a bit for the last 50 miles or so. Even after I had a snooze in the service station. 210 miles in warm weather, in 24 hours and over that terrain wouldn't register in my legs.
It's often worse fo women too. Women are more prone to poor circulation in either the feet or hands. Sometimes both. That means that you get even colder in you feet or hands. Men can get that too, but it's less common in men. Fitness level and metabolism help too. If you're fit and have a fast metabolism, it helps you stay nice and toasty. Recovering from flu (NSTN) is a big disadvantage.

I must have used tons of energy trying to keep warm; I was exhausted last night and slept like the proverbial log, even though it was not a strenuous ride by any stretch of the imagination.

It was a strenuous ride. Because of the weather.

Am glad to hear TG was logged in; that makes it much less likely that his cold, dead body is lying dead under a hedge somewhere after attempting to spend the night outdoors (several of us tried to dissuade him of this yesterday afternoon).

;D ;D ;D
I can asure you that getting tired and havig nowhere warm to rest is much worse than being snuggled up in a -10 rated sleeping bag. I've slept rough in similar temperatures without a sleeping bag before and slept very well too. (I remember one occasion when I woke up to find that it had snowed as I slept inside a deserted building. Another time, I crawled out of a barn to find that the puddles I had stepped over earlier, had turned to solid ice)
It was more precautionary than an intention of sleeping rough. If I had become sleepy, that would have been worse. When you get sleepy, your metabolism slows down, as does your heart rate. That's a recipe fo getting cold. It did start happenning on the way home, but I only felt cold for about an hour, until I got myself into the service station for a rest in the warm, which was enough to revive myself for a comfortable ride home.
This ride was an absolute doddle compared to many of my other rides. ;)

It was myself that got a puncture,

Right, I'll 'old 'er. You 'it' er! ;)

« Reply #220 on: 11 January, 2009, 01:49:36 pm »
Jane practiced her dancing, which seemed to be based on a cross between the Supermarionation puppets and Riverdance.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Glad you got back safely TG. Lots of us worry about you (and not just your sanity!).
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #221 on: 11 January, 2009, 01:54:18 pm »
From Tim O's photos

"It was sooooo cold, Wowbagger's arse had turned red!"  :o :o :o

or

"The cold certainly brought the colour to Wowbagger's cheeks."

;D ;D ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #222 on: 11 January, 2009, 01:56:17 pm »
21st Feb for the next one.  :thumbsup:

Route and weather to be announced.

« Reply #223 on: 11 January, 2009, 02:00:33 pm »
Do you realise, that if the weather is as seasonal throughout the year as on our first ride, that we could do a WARTY pictorial calender?  :D

My vote for Januarary is Del's picture of Wowbagger & Jan:

:thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #224 on: 11 January, 2009, 02:16:42 pm »
Do you realise, that if the weather is as seasonal throughout the year as on our first ride, that we could do a WARTY pictorial calender?  :D

My vote for Januarary is Del's picture of Wowbagger & Jan:

Excellent idea.  I agree wholeheartedly.