Author Topic: What is pooing in my garden?  (Read 3222 times)

What is pooing in my garden?
« on: 19 May, 2017, 04:31:41 pm »
Anyone recognise what this Scat belongs to?

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Re: What is pooing in my garden
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2017, 04:34:12 pm »
Whatever it is, it doesn't look well!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

What is pooing in my garden?
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2017, 08:06:24 pm »
Its actually a type of algae. Specific botanical name? I'll have to look it up. A type of cyanobacterium.

Re: What is pooing in my garden?
« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2017, 10:40:09 pm »
mmmmm.....

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2017, 11:00:46 pm »
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2017, 11:54:37 am »
Triffid?

« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2017, 02:38:32 pm »
Its actually a type of algae. Specific botanical name? I'll have to look it up. A type of cyanobacterium.

Found it. Nostock commune. Thanks for that.

« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2017, 03:03:10 pm »
My pleasure. Would you like the soup recipe? The one with Stilton. You know.

« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2017, 03:04:43 pm »
Think I will let the Phillipines/China carry on as they are tvm.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2017, 07:32:28 pm »
Found some in my garden too.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2017, 11:57:04 pm »
It seems to thrive on areas previously treated with Glyphosphate and gravel/limestone. Possibly due to phosphate take up. (any chemists/biologists have a view?) It is also as old as time and has the same/similar optical light sensors we have at the back of our eyeballs. It is resistant to heat and cold and is very difficult to get rid of. Sigh. Re posts above it is apparently edible. full of protein and possibly has health benefits including anti inflammatory effects, yuck. Washing soda is alleged to be effective after repeated applications, covering in plastic sheet or dosing with salt. Moss/Algea killer available in other countries works but I am not sure that this is available or permitted within EU  area.

At least I now know that there is not some strange beast active in my garden at night.

« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2017, 07:43:26 am »
It doesn't grow when it is dry. Yesterday was the last rain for a while. Save your pennies.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12 on: 21 May, 2017, 07:54:27 pm »
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

I guess FIRE would do in a pinch.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #13 on: 30 July, 2017, 06:50:52 pm »
It seems to thrive on areas previously treated with Glyphosphate and gravel/limestone. Possibly due to phosphate take up. (any chemists/biologists have a view?) It is also as old as time and has the same/similar optical light sensors we have at the back of our eyeballs. It is resistant to heat and cold and is very difficult to get rid of. Sigh. Re posts above it is apparently edible. full of protein and possibly has health benefits including anti inflammatory effects, yuck. Washing soda is alleged to be effective after repeated applications, covering in plastic sheet or dosing with salt. Moss/Algea killer available in other countries works but I am not sure that this is available or permitted within EU  area.

At least I now know that there is not some strange beast active in my garden at night.

It's glyphosate, not glyphosphate, which is just a proprietary name, no phosphate involved (it's N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine either as a free acid, or an amine salt, fact fans). It can offer a significant source of phosphorus to anything it doesn't kill.

Nostoc is an extremophilic, colony forming cyanobacteria (not really an algae). They're ubiquitous. When you clear any ground of vegetation with a broad-spectrum herbicide you create nice opportunities for anything with resistance and, as mentioned, glyphosate is a good source of vital phosphorus. It'll dry out and 'disappear' if not wet and indeed, some people eat them, though I'd skip it unless it was a choice of that or KFC. They're good for soil as they fix nitrogen. Just scoop it up and throw it away, trying to kill it is not worth the effort given it's everywhere.

Very common on gravel driveways etc, as the surface area forms a nice substrate for the colonies.