Author Topic: My first contribution to OSM  (Read 1250 times)

My first contribution to OSM
« on: 08 October, 2015, 10:55:28 am »
I use auto-routing with OSM on my garmin legend HCx.  Generally it works extremely well and I've been very pleased with the accuracy and routing.  Occasionally I come across a junction that requires a turn to be made and that I am not notified about.

For the first time I have actually done something about that and contributed an edit to OSM.

Once I had worked out the basics it was surprisingly easy to do, that is assuming I have actually done it correctly!

I'm going to mark waypoints on the GPS in the future for any other corrections that are required so that I can remember to update them once I'm back.
Up the hills and round the bends

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: My first contribution to OSM
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2015, 11:11:39 am »
Good stuff  :thumbsup:

I compare my GPX track with OSM after a ride to see if an corrections are required.

« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2015, 11:16:52 am »
Good stuff  :thumbsup:

I compare my GPX track with OSM after a ride to see if an corrections are required.

Missing junctions are a bit harder to spot visually, I was only able to locate this one by the tracking showing the 50m I went the wrong way before turning around.

The road needed splitting in two so that it showed the junction.  Although, my correction will now notify people of a junction even when they're going straight on.  The road changes name at that point and I don't know if there's a way of saying the road continues on but changes name in OSM.  It's an unmarked junction.  My edit is at least an improvement!
Up the hills and round the bends

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2015, 06:44:26 pm »
Mapping standards very immensely - often betraying certain national characteristics.
Some contributors are obviously completely anal about roundabouts (and everything else I daresay), whereas others (including me, sometimes) just mark them as a crossroads.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2015, 06:54:14 pm »
Yes, I try to also, but it's been a while since I rode anywhere that needed updating.

When I come across a section of new or re-aligned road, I'll ride up and down it in each direction, and turn up each side-road for 100m or so, so that the track has stubs sticking out the sides of it.   I use this to tie my tracklog in to the existing roads on OSM.   I've always found my stubs match the existing side-roads perfectly.

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2015, 11:38:33 am »
I'm quite proud to be known as the author of the "Chespstow-Gap-In-The-Hedge" well known to BCM riders  the world over :)  :thumbsup: