Author Topic: Handlebar mount for Etrex 20  (Read 4773 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Handlebar mount for Etrex 20
« on: 23 October, 2015, 09:20:02 pm »
Having taken the plunge and got myself a GPS, I need a way to fix it my bike. Ideally I'd like it projecting just ahead of the bars, as I've seen others do, which suggests something like this:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/garmin/out-front-handlebar-mount-for-garmin-edge-ec043514
But that says it's for the Edge series and doesn't at look compatible with the longer fitting on the back of the Etrex.
Garmin themselves have this:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/shop-by-accesories/mounts/bike-cart-mount/prod11411_010-11023-00.html
But (in addition to mentioning golf carts  :hand:) it doesn't look terribly confidence inspiring (and obviously will sit on top of the bars, not in front).

What do people do for this?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Handlebar mount for Etrex 20
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:30:11 pm »
These mounts will allow you to fit the Etrex 20 to your bar or stem. Yes, it says Colorado and Oregon, but it works for the Etrex 20.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:33:37 pm »
^ Yes, those.  Beware cheap imitations, as the tolerances can be off and they don't clamp securely.

They're a simple design, but work well.  A vast improvement on the more complicated (and more delicate) mounting system of the older eTrexes.

I back it up with a lanyard looped around the bars, because there's always the unforeseen.  But so far, I've only had Garmins escape from their mounts in actual crashes.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:40:31 pm »
Okay, that's the same as the 'Bike Cart Mount' I linked to above (just £2 cheaper by virtue of not buying from Garmin :thumbsup:). I was unsure that the cable ties would hold it securely on the bars, but I take it that's not a problem. Cheers! Haven't got a lanyard, hmm, expect I'll find one somewhere around the house.

Howerver, I'd really like to have it in front of the bars if possible – if only to avoid having to move other stuff that's there!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:43:16 pm »
I don't think there is any sort of "out-front" mount for the Etrex.
You could attach the bar mount (as above) on some sort of extension bars. Maybe the Bar Fly Universal Mount? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tate-labs-the-bar-fly-universal-mount/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:44:00 pm »
Okay, that's the same as the 'Bike Cart Mount' I linked to above (just £2 cheaper by virtue of not buying from Garmin :thumbsup:). I was unsure that the cable ties would hold it securely on the bars, but I take it that's not a problem.

There's a pad of rubber on the back of the mount, so with the cable ties done up securely it'll rotate around the bars if you push it (handy for jibbling the angle so you don't get a reflection of the sun or your head torch on the screen), but will stay put with normal bike vibration.  Pretty much perfect amount of clamping, in other words.

Howerver, I'd really like to have it in front of the bars if possible – if only to avoid having to move other stuff that's there!

Minoura SpaceGrip maybe?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:54:10 pm »
Minoura SpaceGrip maybe?
Wash your mouth out!

I'm sure IanN had some sort of 'ahead' arrangement for his Etrex on the Tasty Cheddar, but perhaps it was something like what Fuaran links to. I suppose the best thing is to ask him!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2015, 10:11:12 pm »
... back it up with a lanyard looped around the bars...

This.

I've had an eTrex make a bid for freedom

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2015, 10:05:05 am »
... (just £2 cheaper by virtue of not buying from Garmin :thumbsup:)

But do be sure you're getting a genuine Garmin article.  The cheap copies are so bad I wouldn't give one away to my worst enemy.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2015, 06:25:47 pm »
I've got the genuine Garmin version.  Unfortunately it rattles more than a milk float full of empties.

Bryn

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 24 October, 2015, 06:54:04 pm »
I've got the genuine Garmin version.  Unfortunately it rattles more than a milk float full of empties.

Interesting.  I've got 4 genuine Garmin ones, and none rattle.  I've also got a 3 quid from eBay clone, which doesn't hold the eTrex in place long enough to rattle.

« Reply #11 on: 24 October, 2015, 06:56:22 pm »

Bryn

stick a chunk of blutack on the holder unit under where etrex slides in  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 24 October, 2015, 06:58:06 pm »
stick a chunk of blutack on the holder unit under where etrex slides in  ;D

A layer of insulating tape was the traditional bodge for the old-style eTrex bracket (which was much more rattly).  Worked well enough.

« Reply #13 on: 25 October, 2015, 12:30:48 pm »

Not tried this system, but broken tabs on an Edge are clearly a problem as stick on replacements are available in a few places that would provide a conversion to a 1/4 turn mount. Not sure about the battery cover on the 20 though and whether it would work but may provide food for thought.

Probably a way of using RAM Mount hardware to get an out front position that would work (albeit pricey!)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #14 on: 25 October, 2015, 03:21:02 pm »
^ Yes, those.  Beware cheap imitations, as the tolerances can be off and they don't clamp securely.

Indeed. We fitted a new bracket to Pippa's handlebars this morning but the bracket just ejects her Etrex 20x. Her Etrex will sit nice and snug in my Garmin mount, so it is defo an issue with the mount and not the Etrex 20x. On closer inspection we discovered her mount is a non-Garmin mount.  :facepalm:

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 25 October, 2015, 04:11:47 pm »
Got a Garmin mount & a knock-off. Both equally rattly.  I noticed that both wear down with time - inside the slides they turn whitish.

So I do this before every ride:

Tape lasts several rides. It'll stand up to rain, but once it gets wet on the sticky side it's done for.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #16 on: 25 October, 2015, 04:31:52 pm »
...stick on replacements are available in a few places that would provide a conversion to a 1/4 turn mount. Not sure about the battery cover on the 20 though and whether it would work but may provide food for thought.

That does look quite interesting, although I find the standard Garmin mount very secure, I don't get on with it very well in other respects.  The E20/30 battery cover is a bit convex so it wouldn't be an easy bodge, but I might have a play with that.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #17 on: 25 October, 2015, 04:37:04 pm »
My RAM cage sugru'd onto a CatEye light handlebar mount is still doing good service after about 2 or 3 years. There might be some merit to mixing an out front style arm with a mount of your choice.

My Garmin golf-cart-or-whatever mount on the tourer takes a lot of welly to separate the GPS (Dakota) so I'd probably be a bit cautious about the forces involved with things cantilevered out from the handlebars.

Alternatively, there's a hackspace in Bedminster and someone's probably already done the hard lifting with file design already: http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=garmin&sa=

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #18 on: 25 October, 2015, 05:27:48 pm »

Minoura SpaceGrip maybe?

That's what I use:-

(The same Space grip usually carries two Hope1 lights (underslung) when riding at night)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike