Author Topic: Phone SIM Requirements When Using Phone as GPS Logger  (Read 1823 times)

Phone SIM Requirements When Using Phone as GPS Logger
« on: 22 November, 2015, 02:08:52 pm »
I am aiming to use my Samsung Galaxy S3 on a LEJOG trip next year, mainly to log trips as gpx files for periodic upload.

I understand that it can be advantageous to have the phone capability to speed up geolocation sometimes.

I'm also exploring the idea of online tracking, and wonder about the phone demands of the following from Osmand:

“Online tracking
Android

You can set up your phone to track its location. To do that, go to Settings - Plugins - Trip recording and tap Settings, then choose Online Tracking. To make it possible, you also have to provide a valid link.

Make a Google Spreadsheet and name it. Then go to Tools - Script Editor - Create script for - Blank project. In your spreadsheet, copy the key from the URL field. It is a set of numbers like this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ev_1UaENcl7ukWsE-tnO6ixVxFdn0OlNhTHKAHUHjEg/edit#gid=0

Go back to the script.

Delete everything. Insert this code:

Code: [Select]
This is some text!
function doGet(e) {
  var app = UiApp.createApplication();
  var sp = SpreadsheetApp.openById("0Ana......");
  sp.insertRowBefore(1);
  if(e) {
    var d = new Date( Date( e.parameter.timestamp));
    sp.getRange( "A1").setValue( parseFloat( e.parameter.lat));
    sp.getRange( "B1").setValue( parseFloat( e.parameter.lon));
    sp.getRange( "F1").setValue( Math.round(( parseFloat( e.parameter.speed / 1000 * 60 *60))) + " km/h");
    sp.getRange( "D1").setValue( parseFloat( e.parameter.altitude));
    sp.getRange( "E1").setValue( parseFloat( e.parameter.hdop));
    sp.getRange( "C1").setValue( d);
  }
  return app;
}

Paste your Spreadsheet key instead of 0Ana......

Save and go to Publish - Deploy as web app - set access as Anyone, even anonymous.

Now your movements will be exported to that spreadsheet as coordinates. You'll find speed information in the document. You can also set tracking interval.”

(Incidentally, I guess this app would deliver a vast load of numbers.  Is there a program that could interpret them, or would I need a maths degree to do it myself?).

My main questions are about demands on the battery and the requirements of the SIM to be acquired (ie how much data use?).

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Phone SIM Requirements When Using Phone as GPS Logger
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2015, 03:26:25 pm »
(Incidentally, I guess this app would deliver a vast load of numbers.  Is there a program that could interpret them, or would I need a maths degree to do it myself?).
Looks like it will give you a spreadsheet with columns for latitude, longitude, time, speed, altitude etc. So it should be fairly simple to convert that to GPX. eg try GPS Babel, it can convert from various CSV formats.

My main questions are about demands on the battery and the requirements of the SIM to be acquired (ie how much data use?).
This depends on just how often you want to log your position. ie one point per second or once every few minutes, or every hour etc.
Would also depend on what phone you are using, and what apps are running, and how good the phone signal is etc. Best to test it yourself. Would probably last a few hours of logging at one point per second.

In terms of data, probably a kilobyte or so per point. Not sure if using Google Sheets would have any overhead of extra data, compared to uploading in plain text.

For an app, I like GPS Logger for Android: http://code.mendhak.com/gpslogger/
It is designed to be lightweight, and battery efficient. It has loads of options for how frequently to log etc, and can upload in various formats.

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2015, 05:09:33 pm »
Thanks, fuaran.

That's all very useful, and I like the look of GPSLogger, which I've installed already.

I've found a mount and backup battery, which looks good, as I can keep everything charged via a hub dynamo, so it's just the data requirements of the SIM I need to establish via trial and error.

Any previous experience by anyone would be helpful too.

« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2015, 05:39:32 pm »
I just use MapMyWalk. Other trackers are available.  It's tracked hundreds of walks between about 2 and 12 miles. At the same time the smartphone (a Samsung S4 Zoom) was used as a backup camera and, occasionally, stood in when the main camera failed. I did put as big an SD card in it as it would handle. I also have several hundred music tracks on it. If  run out of space for anything more important the music can be deleted - that's not happened in the two-three years I've been using it. I also use a backup battery pack which - I find - is essential for anything over a few hours use with GPS on.

To calculate your space requirement go for a short walk/ride with tracking on. Check the space used and multiply it up to your maximum walk/ride (and however many you want to be able to store before copying them off to somewhere else). You'll probably be pleasantly surprised. Text/spreadsheets don't really take up much space. Bear in mind that there's an overhead with some formats when you're calculating your requirement. You will need to do some monitoring until you find out what your S3's limits are.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2015, 08:14:31 pm »
Is it possible to use the GPS on a smartphone to do two things at once: namely, record a track into a GPX file and display ongoing position on offline map (eg OSMAnd) to aid navigation.

I know OSMAnd could do both, but GPSLogger appears to be much more efficient and customisable.

Is it possible for two apps to make use of the GPS signal at the same time?

You can tell I'm a GPS newbie, can't you?!

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2015, 09:05:55 pm »
Is it possible to use the GPS on a smartphone to do two things at once: namely, record a track into a GPX file and display ongoing position on offline map (eg OSMAnd) to aid navigation.

Yes. It'll feed whatever GPS dependant apps are running. I've not come across any that require exclusive access. I frequently have MapMyWalk running while taking and geotagging photographs. I sometimes dip into OS Locate to check a grid reference or a council's problem reporting tool to give the location. I've also accidentally left MapMyWalk recording a route after getting back in the car and heading for the hotel (or wherever). Puts your average walking speed up a bit!

I know OSMAnd could do both, but GPSLogger appears to be much more efficient and customisable.

I don't know OSM or GPSLogger as MapMyWalk gave me what I needed so I didn't look further. I'll have a look at it, though, as I find GPS and GIS systems interesting. I also use MapFactor Navigator - mainly for navigation while driving (car) but it'll also handle lorry routes (untested by me), cycle routes (also untested by me) and pedestrian routes (it's occasionally got me back to something I recognize in some very confusing places). A bit naughty but if I'm going to get mislaid you can bet it'll be in a town or in dense woodland with lots of tracks/paths where OS maps aren't much use. I've also forgotten to reset MapFactor back to car mode from pedestrian mode with hilarious results on long journeys. No disasters though. I prefer using the smartphone it to carrying a conventional sat-nav as I take it with me anyway when I leave the car in some very remote places. No worries about leaving an attractive sat-nav in a car parked in a remote but sometimes touristy place with thieving gits waiting for an opportunity.

Is it possible for two apps to make use of the GPS signal at the same time?

Yes. As above.

You can tell I'm a GPS newbie, can't you?!

We all start somewhere. Where we end up is sometimes up to the GPS.  :-\
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2015, 09:11:56 pm »
Thanks for that - very helpful. :thumbsup:

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2015, 09:18:14 am »
"online tracking" implies to me that you want your progress to be accessible to (an) others as you go.  That OSMand capability looks very interesting but IMO it doesn't quite get you there does it, because a spreadsheet of lats and longs, although technically the info is all there, isn't quite accessible enough.
Unless there is some further step whereby it integrates with a Google maps display.

Whereas with something like a SPOT tracker it's all done for you and the end result is a progress map that others can access.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2015, 09:54:31 am »
Thanks, fuaran.

That's all very useful, and I like the look of GPSLogger, which I've installed already.

I've found a mount and backup battery, which looks good, as I can keep everything charged via a hub dynamo, so it's just the data requirements of the SIM I need to establish via trial and error.

Any previous experience by anyone would be helpful too.
Personally I would not trust a mount like that to insulate my phone sufficiently from road shocks and vibrations.
<i>Marmite slave</i>