Author Topic: Which GPS for Audaxing  (Read 8047 times)

Re: Which GPS for Audaxing
« Reply #50 on: 19 February, 2016, 09:23:03 am »
My experience with Garmin, as most of you have heared before, was “Its great if the route is pre-planned and loaded as a Route.”
My problem was that in Birmingham’s sprawl, I couldn’t get settings that let it work as a ‘SatNav’ in a ‘point and shoot’ cycle courier manner.

For Audax, the eTrex 30 is up in the top echelon of Nav devices, IF the route is sorted and loaded before the event.
Its also good at ‘Point and shoot’ when the user is in a rural environment well away from Mways and dual carriageways.

I bought a GPSMAP 62 with OS pre-loaded in the sale last year but took it back. For nav in the city, it still wasn’t as effective as the TomTom UR.

If Audax was all I did on a bike, I’d have an eTrex 30 tomorrow.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #51 on: 19 February, 2016, 10:44:43 am »
I use a Etrex Vista HCx and mostly follow a track*, ...
*just wish the track line was double the thickness.  ...

This is one advantage of the Etrex 30/20 (now 30x/20x - much better display) - the Track can be made to appear as a thick magenta line very similar to a Route in apppearance.  For example - this is a Track on an E30 - on the newer 30x the same roads are rendered a bit narrower.

(You have to use the Where To menu to get it to work like this)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #52 on: 19 February, 2016, 12:22:23 pm »
Well I just tried re-riding a route from a couple of weeks ago using the 920Xt and uploading it as a course. 

No maps, but you get a breadcrumb trail to follow which is reasonable, but I'd still take paper maps for an audax.  I went off route once at the end when I couldn't remember which option I'd take for the last 2k home and I got a single beep to tell me I was off course, and a direction arrow back to the course.

Not that satisfactory on a 35 x 25mm screen.

I have a winning bid on a 705 on e-bay at the moment.  Some Etrex and 800s on the watch list as well.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #53 on: 19 February, 2016, 01:48:03 pm »
I use a Etrex Vista HCx and mostly follow a track*, ...
*just wish the track line was double the thickness.  ...

This is one advantage of the Etrex 30/20 (now 30x/20x - much better display) - the Track can be made to appear as a thick magenta line very similar to a Route in apppearance.  For example - this is a Track on an E30 - on the newer 30x the same roads are rendered a bit narrower.

(You have to use the Where To menu to get it to work like this)

On the HCx, I have also tried auto-routing with pop-ups disabled, and following the thick magenta Route line, and directions in the 'data field' above the map.  With the off-course alarm (in 'Marine') set, it does seem to alert if the autocalc sends you away from the downloaded Route (made in mapsource).  But then... I revert to just following the Track, zoom in more, put some backlight on, and think - I'm glad I've got reading glass inserts in my cycling specs...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #54 on: 20 February, 2016, 01:10:11 pm »
Just bought a second hand Edge 800 on e-bay, now to find a run-dedicated watch and then get started flogging the 920XT

Triathlons anyone?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

simonp

« Reply #55 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:43:54 pm »
Get a Garmin Zumo. You know you want that sultry lady's voice in the Bluetooth earpiece.

Can't think why we don't see more of these on audaxes

::-)

Got one on my motorbike.

I regret not getting the TomTom one.