General Category > OT Knowledge

Tetbury/Sodbury area - taxis or other transport

(1/2) > >>

Morrisette:
Hello!

A group of us (old college friends) are going to a wedding in Westonbirt ('near' to Tetbury and Chipping Sodbury) in December. Yes, the middle of nowhere in the middle of winter. Good job we are friends!!

Bit of a long shot maybe but the knowledge on YACF has impressed me greatly in the past :-) Just wondering if anyone here has any local knowledge of the place. We've had hotels suggested in Tetbury but they are all pretty pricey and more than we want to spend given that it is just a place to sleep. There's a few more reasonably priced places (Best Westerns and such) at about 10-15 miles distance which brings me finally to the point: Taxis. My friend spent an hour and a half last night ringing all the taxi firms on the list that was sent out with the wedding invite. Half of them didn't answer the phone, some of them didn't cover the right area...the ones she did get through to were vague on availability and how we would go about booking them (this is for a December date so hardly last minute!!). Basically there seems to be no taxi firms here at all which leaves me wondering if we book a hotel 10 miles from the venue will we then be stuffed for getting to the actual wedding?

Does anyone have any suggestions, or known of any good firms? We'd consider a 'private hire' type limo service for a reasonable price as there are 6 of us so that might be the way to go - if we could find one (no stretch Hummers please...or, actually....)

Any suggestions involving bicycles are sadly not going to work this time (if I was going on my own I would get a train to Kemble with my foldy bike...I do find that not driving is only a problem with Other People!!)

Thanks!!!

jsabine:
Ask the hotel or the wedding venue if they can recommend a car service? Look for minibus hire - they may also have a 7-seater?

Jaded:
Try the travel lodges at Stonehouse, or Cirencester (which is a bit nearer). Ciren definitely had taxis as the nearest train station is Kemble, a taxi ride away. Stonehouse probably will, but there are definitely taxis in Stroud.

Is the wedding at the arboretum, the school (unlikely!) or the Matara centre?

Hot Flatus:
Have a look at Hunters Hall in kingscote

Vince:
There are taxi companies in Wotton-under-Edge. http://wotton-under-edge.org/business?c=134. Might be better to try to make a booking a couple of weeks before the date, rather than months.
There are three B&Bs we've stayed in in Wotton, but they all seem to have dropped off the internet.
From memory they are Wotton Coffee Shop, Long street; Sunshine/Sunset/Sunnyside? House, Old London Road and somewhere in Coombe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version