Author Topic: Luggage straps for tent on rack  (Read 5586 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Luggage straps for tent on rack
« on: 13 April, 2018, 02:20:01 pm »
I've always just bungied my tent on top of the rack and it's always seemed solid enough. But my camping trips often involve taking a train part of the way and that means dangly bike spaces. No amount of bungees is going to hold a tent when the bike is vertical. It would be nice to be able to leave the tent on the bike, particularly when I'm already hauling panniers and stuff off the platform, so I'm looking for some straps that would be up to the job. I expect some sort of ratchety job? Someone did once recommend a particular brand which they said would do expressly this, but I can't remember it. Recommendations? Thanks!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: Luggage straps for tent on rack
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2018, 02:27:13 pm »
When I have the tent on the rack I use elasticated velcro straps and dangly bike spaces are part of most tours.  I doubt they're any more secure than bungees but they do avoid the sharp edges of the hooks.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VELCRO-Brand-Stretch-Straps-25/dp/B0018AA0TW

I've bungeed luggage on car roof racks, so am a little surprised at the idea that they won't hold a tent on a rack. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2018, 02:38:47 pm »
My tent goes in a pannier for this reason, with the top of the rack space used for water, drying laundry and an Alpkit Airlok Extra that comes out to provide extra capacity when needed for shopping etc.  The latter has attachment points for additional adjustable webbing straps, and I use these to secure it to the rack.  I dare say the same approach could be used for a tent.

Toe straps are the canonical cyclist's solution to short ratchet straps, but they may not be long enough to secure your tent.

I have some light duty cam-buckle tie-down straps (a couple of metres long) that are generally useful for securing things on the trailer.  They came from the car stuff section of Wilko.  I generally carry one when touring because it's so useful for securing bikes on trains, as well as being handy for random acts of bodgery (I've used it in combination with a convenient tree as an improvised recumbent-friendly workstand before now), but it might be a bit unwieldy for this purpose, compared to a pair of lighter duty straps.

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2018, 03:01:26 pm »
I use the Sea to Summit straps for my tent & sleeping bag

I use the version with the hooked buckle so I don't have to unthread the full length if I'm strapping through a hole, but there are also standard buckles

I strap back and forth over the bag, twice crossways and twice diagonally, so a fairly long strap is needed.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2018, 03:42:24 pm »
When I have the tent on the rack I use elasticated velcro straps and dangly bike spaces are part of most tours.  I doubt they're any more secure than bungees but they do avoid the sharp edges of the hooks.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VELCRO-Brand-Stretch-Straps-25/dp/B0018AA0TW

I've bungeed luggage on car roof racks, so am a little surprised at the idea that they won't hold a tent on a rack.
Bungees are fine while riding, it's only when the bike is vertical in a dangly bike space on a train that they fail to hold the tent against gravity. Velcro stretch straps might work though, especially seeing as it's genuine velcro (there does seem to be a variation in how securely velcro-type material joins).

Kim, toe straps, really! Do you think I'd be asking if they were anywhere near long enough?  ;) I always have a toe strap with me for parking brake purposes (though I've now gone over to a scrunchy hair band thing). Wilko's a good tip though, should have thought of that myself.

I use the version with the hooked buckle so I don't have to unthread the full length if I'm strapping through a hole, but there are also standard buckles

I strap back and forth over the bag, twice crossways and twice diagonally, so a fairly long strap is needed.
Those look good.  :thumbsup: I usually just go diagonally, end to end would be useful for dangly train spaces but I've never managed to make it secure with bungees.

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2018, 03:51:25 pm »
How about using a nylon belt with an abs buckle? Long enough, secure enough. Plus you can use on long trousers at your destination. Failing that you can get nylon straps of various lengths with a tooth buckle (not racthet). Common equipment you will find in most camping places.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2018, 04:16:39 pm »
A giant toe strap would be good!

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2018, 05:18:58 pm »
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:39:07 pm »

Could you not just cut one in two and splice in some extra webbing strap?

What does the tent travel in? If it doesn't need to be waterproof, you could maybe sew some extra webbing loops on its bag for the ginormo toestrap to loop through. If it does need to be waterproof, add in some seam sealant...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:46:32 pm »
I find that running two toestraps together doubles the useful length. That might be enough length for your purposes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2018, 01:55:30 pm »

Sea to Summit straps are excellent. Couple different widths, couple different lengths, and two different hook options. Like a lot of stuff Sea to Summit makes, they're very well thought out and well made.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2018, 10:26:16 am »

Could you not just cut one in two and splice in some extra webbing strap?

What does the tent travel in? If it doesn't need to be waterproof, you could maybe sew some extra webbing loops on its bag for the ginormo toestrap to loop through. If it does need to be waterproof, add in some seam sealant...
Did you really use the words "could" and "sew" in a sentence about me?

« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2018, 08:30:02 pm »
Oh; I thought you had form for molishing stuff via the sewing machine.

Sharp unpickything and whatever the seamstresses use instead of a rivet gun?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2018, 09:20:29 pm »
http://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/roof-bars-roof-boxes/roof-box-accessories/halfords-essentials-12-hook-luggage-net?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Roof+Bars+and+Roof+Boxes-_-Roof+Box+Accessories-_-103360&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=qqwtrraxa&istBid=tzir&_$ja=tsid:94971%7Ccid:868555891%7Cagid:49387675572%7Ctid:pla-402517890168%7Ccrid:203456299431%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:6233754560500985020%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o1%7Cmt:%7Cloc:9046417&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx5Kc586_2gIVbrHtCh0UbgE1EAQYASABEgLSm_D_BwE
Any good?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2018, 09:30:53 pm »
I've ordered a couple of the straps linked to by Bikepacker, on the grounds that they look like they should do the job and they're very cheap. If they turn out no good, I'll probably try something with a brand name like Sea to Summit. Or get nikki to sew me something.  :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 16 April, 2018, 09:57:22 pm »
Alternative approach: Steal a skipping rope and learn to tie a sheepshank.

« Reply #16 on: 17 April, 2018, 01:00:14 am »
A sheepshank is not a suitable knot to use for attaching something to a rack.
A trucker's hitch would be better.

seraphina

« Reply #17 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:30:12 pm »
How about a motorcycle cargo net? Have used those to hold tents on top of motorcycle panniers when touring and whilst I never got a bike upside down we did go at a fair lick. Something like this:

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/bike-it-cargo-net-extra-large-red?gclid=CjwKCAjwiPbWBRBtEiwAJakcpML43yAW8-Ftw8mU-1drakQ-PrWccXam9RUm89t-jc2fpVGHArQoTBoCnBYQAvD_BwE

More or fewer hooked versions also available.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:13:08 pm »
It's like a string bag, opened up and with hooks on the edges, isn't it? ^^ In fact I've got one of those (and a string bag*) but it's not quite what I was looking for in this case.** I've now got some straps anywayz (but haven't used them yet cos I've still got a faded, looks much older than it is, Super C rack pack on top of my rack right now).

*It's an actual relic from the dying days of the Soviet Union. The kind everyone had to carry all the time in case they found something worth buying. It's not actually that good for carrying things though!
**Thanks for the suggestion though!

« Reply #19 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:32:49 pm »
Cargo nets are great for touring, though I'd prefer to have the tent strapped on separately.    The net goes over that & you thread your damp towel & just washed socks & shorts through the net to dry in the sunshine.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:40:24 pm »
Cargo nets are great for touring, though I'd prefer to have the tent strapped on separately.    The net goes over that & you thread your damp towel & just washed socks & shorts through the net to dry in the sunshine.

I use a mesh drawstring bag to similar effect, guaranteeing that nothing will escape.  The Alpkit ones are a slightly finer mesh than is optimal for drying, though.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 23 April, 2018, 11:00:35 pm »
Can always just put them under the straps? Works with bungees anyhow!

« Reply #22 on: 24 April, 2018, 12:36:49 am »