Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 109176 times)

An equestrian Twitterfriend posted today she'd put some alloy tackle in her dishwasher and it had gone dull grey and left black marks everywhere.
Oh dear!

Dishwasher detergent is STRONGLY alkaline and damages aluminium.

DON'T DO IT!

It surprises me how many highly educated people seem to be unaware of this. And fail to make the connection and repeat the mistake.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
An equestrian Twitterfriend posted today she'd put some alloy tackle in her dishwasher and it had gone dull grey and left black marks everywhere.
Oh dear!
Dishwasher detergent is STRONGLY alkaline and damages aluminium.
DON'T DO IT!
It surprises me how many highly educated people seem to be unaware of this. And fail to make the connection and repeat the mistake.

This is a medical bod.
I thought all medics had A Level Chemistry or equivalent.
Seems some education didn't stick or get applied.

:( :'(

BY THE WAY, DON'T PUT ALUMINIUM ALLOY IN THE DISHWASHER!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My favoured chain lubricant is Purple Extreme. Finding some in stock is quite a challenge.

If you are in a work environment, it is probably best that you do not search for "Purple Extreme lubricant" on Amazon...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
What about Blue Extreme lubricant?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Just completed working out the gain ratios for the fleet of bikes.  I've done one or two of them umpteen times for comparison but lost all the scraps of paper.  Doing the lot in a manner I'll find when needed is a job I've wanted to do for ages but all the tuits I could find have been the wrong shape 'till now.   Very satisfying.

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

Or, as my wife would say:
BY THE WAY, DON'T PUT *ANY* BIKE PARTS IN THE DISHWASHER *EVER*!

Although, tbh, I wouldn't put steel parts in the dishwasher either due to the salt.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Or, as my wife would say:
BY THE WAY, DON'T PUT *ANY* BIKE PARTS IN THE DISHWASHER *EVER*!

Although, tbh, I wouldn't put steel parts in the dishwasher either due to the salt.

Yeah, dishwashers are for crockery, and IBM Model M keyboards.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
And salmon, ISTR.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

Guardian of the LBS

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Guardian of the LBS

Has he been on an audax?

Cudzoziemiec

He's about 250km into a 400 and he's out of flapjack.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Cudzoziemiec

Ha! I had a feeling I'd seen it somewhere before. His is outdoors though. But I don't recall seeing it in the LBS (Mud Dock) before, so maybe it's recently been put in there. I'll have to go in and ask.

I came across Itchy Feet cartoon strip a while back, thought I'd share this one

On the off chance anyone here was listening to shaun keavney on 6 music yesterday afternoon he does MASO (middle age shout out) where you send in the middle age and or middle class things your doing over the weekend. I got one for fitting my new mudguards to my thorn.

Spotted!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Any knowledge?

https://twitter.com/dianapeychev/status/1129247989875257344
Also posted on LFGSS - No reply so far. My superhero cape was at the dry cleaners at this time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Hase have excelled themselves this time, with a steampunk kettwiesel-strandbeest hybrid.  Night ride to Whitby anyone?

https://youtu.be/UDz3Dg1qnz0?t=342

It looks like steering is by interupting the drive to one side so cornering at any speed is impossible.

Cudzoziemiec

Excellent! Good use of red reflectors. Disappointing lack of FIRE but as it's Germany, I trust there was CAKE and BEER. Good theatre. Thank goodness for subtitles, not only because mein Deutch is sehr rusty but the sound was unimpressive. Perhaps a long term project for Wobbly John and helpers?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It looks like steering is by interupting the drive to one side so cornering at any speed is impossible.

I'm guessing a diff-based Kettwiesel drivetrain and what looks like a disc brake either side.  Presumably it's a bit analogue, though still steers like a tank and feet wear is likely to be an issue.  But I suspect that's the least of its problems.  That roll cage must be there for a reason...

Nevertheless it's awesome.  I wouldn't be surprised if they encounter the same problem that ICE did after building Maria Leijerstam's trike, and end up having to manufacture them commercially.

Cudzoziemiec

I wonder if they could adapt one to look like an AT-AT and sell them to squoogles of kids, fanboiz and Rogerzilla?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

I'm guessing a diff-based Kettwiesel drivetrain and what looks like a disc brake either side.  Presumably it's a bit analogue, though still steers like a tank and feet wear is likely to be an issue.  But I suspect that's the least of its problems.  That roll cage must be there for a reason...

Nevertheless it's awesome.  I wouldn't be surprised if they encounter the same problem that ICE did after building Maria Leijerstam's trike, and end up having to manufacture them commercially.

I'd buy one for winter in the fens, better traction than wheels on the lanes
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

I wonder if they could adapt one to look like an AT-AT and sell them to squoogles of kids, fanboiz and Rogerzilla?

Too many feet for an AT-AT - I'm getting more a Discworld Luggage vibe from it.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche