Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1762449 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6525 on: 13 April, 2015, 10:02:42 am »
There will be beer and sausages  :thumbsup:

French Themed...it won't be a taboo subject to bore civilians with until, oh, at least Christmas?

There's always LEL 2017 to think about :facepalm:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6526 on: 13 April, 2015, 10:09:59 am »
Any Gibbons?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6527 on: 13 April, 2015, 10:15:59 am »
Gibbons, French or otherwise will be most welcome.  We could serve everything in baguettes.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6528 on: 13 April, 2015, 10:32:12 am »
There will be beer and sausages  :thumbsup:
If there're sausages cooking a certain Mr A may make a brief detour to quality check them  :demon:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6529 on: 13 April, 2015, 10:44:05 am »
He'd be welcome too. Hopefully he'll be fixed by then.

« Reply #6530 on: 13 April, 2015, 11:28:45 am »
He'd be welcome too. Hopefully he'll be fixed by then.
No, he'll still be riding the geared Raleighs.  ::-)  :-[  :facepalm:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6531 on: 13 April, 2015, 08:27:52 pm »
And so on to this Wednesday...

Anybody ready to stretch their post 300km
  • legs with a trip 'ower the Stour'? The Cock at Clare or the Five Bells in Cavendish is a round trip of about 60 miles/100km from Dunmow or Witham, otherwise there are three pubs in Great Yeldham for about 10 miles less in total.

19:30 start, fast 25-30 miles at 25kph+, 1/2 hour for a pint 21:30-22:00 and back by midnight? Forecast is for a warm day and temperatures just in double figures overnight.

Open to other ideas of course, but I'm leaning towards the less beer, more miles [and faster ones too]   :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6532 on: 13 April, 2015, 10:07:42 pm »
I'm not going to be any route planning for the Witham peloton coz of work so I'm happy to follow a wheel.

« Reply #6533 on: 13 April, 2015, 10:34:48 pm »
You know me, I always follow a wheel !  not sure how far I can follow on a Wednesday night though.

You guys need to do your PBP thing but if there are some of the usual rides as well then count me in.

Mind you, as the nights get lighter I might get more adventurous...

One day, a good few miles under my wheels from now, I hope to return a few favours on the towing front.  In the meantime, thanks to the MEMWNS contingent for helping me through my first 300.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6534 on: 14 April, 2015, 06:06:01 am »
I'm keen on more miles and less beer too. I felt strong when I got back on Saturday and haven't really stiffened up much since so my fitness is clearly going in the right direction and I'd like to maintain momentum. I could also do with shifting half a stone as well.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6535 on: 14 April, 2015, 07:47:22 am »
Rayne crossroads works for me as a meeting place, if the Witham Peloton is heading north...otherwise the other side of Braintree, somewhere like Stisted, if not Braintree itself.

Riders can always peel off for home or be left & collected later at a pub en-route, if we go pretty much out and back.

How about playing it by ear this time, rather than a designated venue and see how far we get by 21:30?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6536 on: 14 April, 2015, 08:35:46 am »
Rayne crossroads works for me as a meeting place, if the Witham Peloton is heading north...otherwise the other side of Braintree, somewhere like Stisted, if not Braintree itself.

Riders can always peel off for home or be left & collected later at a pub en-route, if we go pretty much out and back.

How about playing it by ear this time, rather than a designated venue and see how far we get by 21:30?

EDIT:

Yes, I think this is an excellent plan.  You're talking about the crossroads in Rayne by The Swan aren't you?  If so I will get the Witham peloton there, we can cut through Notley Green, the country park and Fairy Hall Lane.  After that we can freestyle it.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6537 on: 14 April, 2015, 08:39:06 am »

• legs with a trip 'ower the Stour'? The Cock at Clare or the Five Bells in Cavendish is a round trip of about 60 miles/100km from Dunmow or Witham, otherwise there are three pubs in Great Yeldham for about 10 miles less in total.

19:30 start, fast 25-30 miles at 25kph+, 1/2 hour for a pint 21:30-22:00 and back by midnight? Forecast is for a warm day and temperatures just in double figures overnight.

Open to other ideas of course, but I'm leaning towards the less beer, more miles [and faster ones too]   :thumbsup:

Fantastic idea Tomsk I'm more than happy to ride to The Cock at Clare, I was going to try and plot a route for the Witham peloton but it looks like we will be ok without now!  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6538 on: 14 April, 2015, 08:49:28 am »
It might be worth someone else having an idea of how to get to Tomsk's meeting point in Rayne.  There is an outside chance I will either be late or not make it.  Work might bugger things up tomorrow - fingers crossed it doesn't.

« Reply #6539 on: 14 April, 2015, 01:59:23 pm »
I'm in, I'll try to get home to get the quick bike but if that doesn't happen I'll be the guy puffing like a steam train at the back!

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6540 on: 14 April, 2015, 02:55:18 pm »
I'm in, I'll try to get home to get the quick bike but if that doesn't happen I'll be the guy puffing like a steam train at the back!

As our lead out man I don't think it will matter whether you're on the quick bike or the commuter, your place at the front is a given  ;D

« Reply #6541 on: 14 April, 2015, 05:25:34 pm »
I'm hoping it's the "moderately paced" commuter bike if I make it over.

Having made a remarkable recovery after giving up trying to stay with Andy C33, Huggy et al on Saturday and feeling fresh at the end, I am intending to do the A&S as well and see how that goes.

There is a bit of a gap so I thought I might do the Dick Turpin perm in the meantime.  I am happy rumbling round it on my own but if anyone fancies doing it then I am pretty flexible on dates and times.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6542 on: 14 April, 2015, 07:30:19 pm »
Ok - so eta at Rayne would be about 20:?? with a 19:30 start from Witham?

If we don't make Clare, there's the Yeldham pubs and then the Half Moon at Belchamp St Paul.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6543 on: 14 April, 2015, 09:47:45 pm »
Rayne at about 8:15?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6544 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:16:57 pm »
Rayne at about 8:15?

I'll be there  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6545 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:58:39 am »

I've allowed Basecamp to plot routes to The Swan @ Rayne and The Cock Inn @ Clare, the round trip is ~85km.  I've got more faith in Tomsk's routing abilities than Basecamp's so the Garmin will be used for reserve guidance  ::-)
I have also way marked The Five Bells @ Cavendish, Three Bottles & White Hart @ Gt Yeldham.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #6546 on: 15 April, 2015, 12:27:01 pm »
So tonight's view will mainly be

or

;D

I'm going to be on the commuter, I picked up an additional portion of Pasta with lunch that will be strategically consumed before departing today.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6547 on: 15 April, 2015, 01:18:09 pm »
I don't anticipate being that close to Tomsk!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6548 on: 15 April, 2015, 04:28:28 pm »
As you may see on another thread, I've been tiring myself out this morning, and on a bigger [fixed] gear than usual...I'll succumb to the charms of to Ruby Holdsworth and a full 21 gears'n'freewheel tonight. First outing for her this year.

« Reply #6549 on: 15 April, 2015, 04:33:14 pm »
I was going to say a Swift 100k either end of the day.....good lord...what next!

Been looking at the location of Clare, is the idea an out and back? I am considering a return via. Sudbury > Lamarsh > Bures > Coggeshall but will see how things go....