Author Topic: My Very Favourite Member's Bike  (Read 10030 times)

LEE

My Very Favourite Member's Bike
« on: 03 January, 2014, 11:12:26 am »
You have 276 pages of bikes to choose from.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17.0

No rush, just choose one, your favourite, and post photo (right-click photo, copy URL into image tag) here.

It CAN NOT be yours (just too corny).

Tell us who it belongs (belonged) to and what page it is on in the Members' Bike thread.  Let's try to keep it photo-biased and who knows?, maybe we can keep drilling down over the years, to find a top 10.

Tip.  Keep a pen and paper handy, to jot down the page# of your favourites...there are bloody loads.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: My Very Favourite Member's Bike
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2014, 07:14:53 pm »
are you asking for the bike of a favourite member, or the favourite bike of a member. ??? :)

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2014, 08:12:10 pm »
I was at Bob Jackson cycles today dropping off my Audax and Tandem frames for a re-spay. The reception room was beautiful, any of the frames hanging up in there would be a contender.
When I first joined YACF I spent ages looking through the Members Bikes board, some real beauties, some not so. However, just from memory I’d choose your own British Eagle. I think I saw it else-where on the web before seeing on this forum, shame about its demise.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2014, 10:17:52 pm »
I was at Bob Jackson cycles today dropping off my Audax and Tandem frames for a re-spay. The reception room was beautiful, any of the frames hanging up in there would be a contender.
When I first joined YACF I spent ages looking through the Members Bikes board, some real beauties, some not so. However, just from memory I’d choose your own British Eagle. I think I saw it else-where on the web before seeing on this forum, shame about its demise.

I must say, that this came to my mind too, red it was, with white head tube, and red/white bar tape.

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2014, 11:50:14 pm »

I must say, that this came to my mind too, red it was, with white head tube, and red/white bar tape.

Well...since you..ahem...insist...

And then...(shortly after spending a lot of money on the respray and upgrades, "Would Sir like the lugs lined as well?")....

and finally...

That does not count as my choice though (although I still love that matching banding/headtube look)

It snapped just after I placed an order for my Condor Fratello.  I still think it went off in a jealous huff and committed suicide.

Maybe one day I would like to go on a Dave Yates frame-building course and recreate it (but without those awful Cantis)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:54:58 am »
This is a really tricky one.

Obviously the corny rule stops me nominating my Inbred, but doesn't stop me nominating Mrs T's Carlton.  I don't think I have seen a bike more purple on this here forum.

I would also nominate Ruthie's gorgeous Peugeot fixed. Deano's Dave Yates would get a vote, too.

Next up would be Andrew Br's Dirty Disco, and finally Crinkly Uncles' wotsit, the on be he built himself.

There is a common thread here, in that they are all ones I have seen in real life.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2014, 12:10:50 pm »
Theres been tons of great bikes,  I think the most striking was the pub bike with all the beer labels on it. That was cool. Hopefully its lasting well.   

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2014, 12:22:50 pm »
^^^^wot he said

My search function isn't working and I haven't time to scroll back for an image - for me it is also (FW)Nutty's pub bike :)

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:21:53 pm »
This thread is fairly useless without images

Administrator...please feel free to remove it.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:33:56 pm »
Theres been tons of great bikes,  I think the most striking was the pub bike with all the beer labels on it. That was cool. Hopefully its lasting well.   

^^^^wot he said

My search function isn't working and I haven't time to scroll back for an image - for me it is also (FW)Nutty's pub bike :)

Why thankyou young sir's, it is holding up well, one bit of pedal damage from another bike in the shed has lead to one label partially peeling but it has been temporarily laquered until a repair patch label is drunk and stuck on :P

pic here
"Don't stop pedalling"

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:37:25 pm »
http://flic.kr/p/eSLRwM

I love the simplicity and "all-purposeness" of this bike.

p. 257 of the members' bikes thread
Pen Pusher

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:56:23 pm »

The Bob Jackson, now with the saddle set at the right height and fitted with a Team Pro and Barley.

I have always loved Tewdrics Bob Jackson, Beautiful bike  :thumbsup:

Allthough I have to say Blodwyns is a close second :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 05 January, 2014, 12:14:11 am »
Is there a picture of arabella's steed in there somewhere?  Just off the top of my head, without scrolling through 276 pages, like...

« Reply #13 on: 05 January, 2014, 03:07:53 pm »
I’ve mentioned before that I like the symmetry about Slope's bike. There’s something pleasing about the parallelogram formed by the down tube and the seat stay. 

GT Karakoram '92 by obswerve, on Flickr
[/quote]

« Reply #14 on: 05 January, 2014, 03:56:54 pm »

The Bob Jackson, now with the saddle set at the right height and fitted with a Team Pro and Barley.

I have always loved Tewdrics Mikes Bob Jackson, Beautiful bike  :thumbsup:  [cough] ;)

and it rides as good as it looks!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #15 on: 05 January, 2014, 07:06:42 pm »

I have always loved Tewdrics Mikes Bob Jackson, Beautiful bike  :thumbsup:  [cough] ;)

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the weight weenies and the carbonistas, let alone those who don't appreciate super-intelligent shades of blue, I will stick my neck out and say that bike is the archetypal 'YACF Member's Bike'. It's that kind of 'do anything, go (almost) anywhere' machine plus it has a simple, clean paint job. Handbuilt to boot.

E. T. A. It would look equally as good with gears, either in a can or dangly flexy ones.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2014, 07:45:18 pm »
Is the Bob Jackson above the 'flamboyant Petrol blue'? If so that the colour currently being applied to my road bike :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17 on: 05 January, 2014, 09:44:00 pm »
It took me about ten pages to realise how bloody disinterested I am in pictures of bikes.
 :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:51:35 pm »
It took me about ten pages to realise how bloody disinterested I am in pictures of bikes.

As with a thread going on over in NSFW right now, I'm of the belief that it's what you do with it that counts.  Pictures of bikes illustrating some recent purchase or fettling accomplishment are good.  Pictures of bikes being ridden, or loaded up and looking purposeful as part of a tour, absolutely.  Bikes looking pretty with no commentary, distinctly meh.

I like bikes that tell a story.  Unusual modifications made for a specific purpose.  Battle scars.  Loving restorations.  Cobbled together from random bits that are oozing with character.  That sort of thing.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #19 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:59:22 pm »
Young Kim, so much more eloquent than I, has typed exactly what I meant to say.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 06 January, 2014, 12:35:06 am »
Of course, all that applies equally well to cocks.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #21 on: 06 January, 2014, 12:40:27 am »
Cobbled together from random bits that are oozing with character.

???
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #22 on: 06 January, 2014, 08:30:45 pm »
Cobbled together from random bits that are oozing with character.

???

Its all to do with chocolate and ancient Celtic rites don't worry....... :)   (Thinks and just to confuse you even more, could even relate to chickens....) and Tewdric's/Mike's bike sluverly (Git... but fortunately was a tad big for me  ::-)).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #23 on: 07 January, 2014, 12:29:10 am »

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the weight weenies and the carbonistas, let alone those who don't appreciate super-intelligent shades of blue, I will stick my neck out and say that bike is the archetypal 'YACF Member's Bike'. It's that kind of 'do anything, go (almost) anywhere' machine plus it has a simple, clean paint job. Handbuilt to boot.

E. T. A. It would look equally as good with gears, either in a can or dangly flexy ones.

"Weight Weenies"??   You could always respray it light blue ;)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #24 on: 08 January, 2014, 05:46:01 pm »
There's a nice fixed raleigh super course with mustache type bars. I gave up after a few pages so don't know who owns it :( I think its dark green with honey leather bits.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert