Author Topic: Pictures from a Dales Ride  (Read 2910 times)

Pictures from a Dales Ride
« on: 16 March, 2009, 10:10:14 am »
Here are a few photos taken on my ride yesterday:

1. Menwith Hill listening station from the top of Norwood Edge

2. Fewston reservoir with the mast on Norwood Edge behind it, taken from near Thruscross

3. "Rorke's Drift" farmhouse on the Blubberhouses to Greenhow road

4. The telecomms mast at Greenhow

5. Simon's Seat from near Skyreholme

6. Looking down Wharfedale from near Skyreholme

7. Landscape near Trollers Ghyll

8. View from the cattle grid on the climb up to Langbar.  It's a lot steeper than it looks in the photo.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Pictures from a Dales Ride
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2009, 11:18:55 am »
Good grief, 'RAF' Menwith Hill is an ugly abomination, isn't it?  Every time I see it, it strikes me how appalling it is.

As for all the rest, you've been to some of those magnificently special places.  great ride, but you must have been doing some serious climbing to get round that little lot...
Getting there...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2009, 12:12:10 pm »
Nice photos Andrew, and a glorious day from the look of things.

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2009, 12:17:04 pm »
you must have been doing some serious climbing to get round that little lot...

Yes, it was quite hilly - 1870 metres (or around 6135 feet) of climbing in 63 miles, according to Tracklogs.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2009, 12:28:15 pm »
But a great sense of achievement and satisfaction, no doubt :)
Getting there...

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2009, 11:18:03 am »
Great photos Andrew!
Basically I did the same route minus the trek back to / From Leeds and Otley.
It was a great day on Sunday. First time out of the winter bib longs and jacket for me.
Re - Rorkes Drift - I have always wondered if there is a connection to the famous Rorke's Drift in Natal, but I have never bothered to ask the farmer.
I took a photo with the phone camera just after the little bridge on Hoodstorth Lane, but have not loaded it onto the PC as yet.
Re - Langbar,  Taking the photo - was that just an excuse to get your breath back before the real climb begins!?

« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2009, 12:15:51 pm »
Snap..i did the same ride yesterday but went onto Grassington and stopped for a tremendous Bacon Sarnie in Burnsall. Had the wind in my face all the way to Grassington which was hard going for a while...made for a quick run home though. First time over Norwood Edge and Langbar for 6 months...it wasn't pretty at times.

Cheers
Fraser

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2009, 12:57:54 pm »
Snap..i did the same ride yesterday but went onto Grassington and stopped for a tremendous Bacon Sarnie in Burnsall. Had the wind in my face all the way to Grassington which was hard going for a while...made for a quick run home though. First time over Norwood Edge and Langbar for 6 months...it wasn't pretty at times.

Cheers
Fraser
In training for the White Rose Fraser? ;D

« Reply #8 on: 17 March, 2009, 02:00:40 pm »

Cheers
Fraser
In training for the White Rose Fraser? ;D

Yep, but not anything structured, I am just trying to find the time to ride my bike at the moment!! Work and parenting seem to be taking over at the moment.  Now that the mornings are lighter will try and get out more often.

How are things with you?

Cheers
Fraser

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2009, 07:34:35 pm »
Nice photos Andrew ,Wharedale is my favourite dale ,seems like you missed saturdays howling gales as well.

« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2009, 09:09:52 pm »
seems like you missed saturdays howling gales as well.

Yes, thankfully, though it was still quite a strong headwind going towards Grassington from Greenhow.  The upside was that I had a tailwind from Bolton Abbey back to Leeds.

Re - Langbar,  Taking the photo - was that just an excuse to get your breath back before the real climb begins!?

Possibly  ;)