Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 82196 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #25 on: 17 March, 2017, 10:39:46 am »
Definitely interested in this - will take a look at suggested routes later. We have cycled quite a lot in the Netherlands and always look forward to our next "fix".
On the topic of ferries - there is one type of ferry we really should try to incorporate - the self operated chain ferry! See the second picture down in this article https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/bikes-and-ferries-combine-for-a-freewheeling-dutch-adventure/2016/10/13/ea0ce9ba-8b23-11e6-875e-2c1bfe943b66_story.html
There is one like this just north of Vlaardingen - and finding it on our last ride over there really made our day.

Can you remember which post number it was at?
Regards,

Joergen

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #26 on: 17 March, 2017, 10:08:35 pm »
I reckon it was at 62 along LF11, according to Open Cycle Map anyway. I haven't dug out the NL cycling maps (though we do those)

« Reply #27 on: 18 March, 2017, 03:24:06 am »
Starting out at Hoek van Holland you could also use parts of the Bunnik audax routes. They head roughly northeast, so usually it would be returning into a headwind.

That's why I tried to minimise that. I also think that going out to Bunnik and back makes it less varied. Basically you cycle through the same landscape out and back, because you need to turn around before things get interesting at Wijk bij Duurstede, and you can't do areas like Heuvelrug. Plus it's a long slog back and it will be mostly against the wind.

« Reply #28 on: 18 March, 2017, 03:27:04 am »
Definitely interested in this - will take a look at suggested routes later. We have cycled quite a lot in the Netherlands and always look forward to our next "fix".
On the topic of ferries - there is one type of ferry we really should try to incorporate - the self operated chain ferry! See the second picture down in this article https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/bikes-and-ferries-combine-for-a-freewheeling-dutch-adventure/2016/10/13/ea0ce9ba-8b23-11e6-875e-2c1bfe943b66_story.html
There is one like this just north of Vlaardingen - and finding it on our last ride over there really made our day.

The one at Vlaardingervaart, could try to squeeze that in and go north by way of Midden Delfland. I'll tinker with the route some. Unfortunately, the distance doesn't warrant coffee at Op Hodenpijl yet...

« Reply #29 on: 18 March, 2017, 04:14:11 am »
ACME 2B takes in the self service ferry at Vlaardingervaart, craftily avoids The Hague to get us to Scheveningen, then leaves the coast to cycle through the estates of Wassenaar. We go north around De Kaag, use the ferry below Leimuiden to enter the polder and peat river landscape north of Nieuwkoop. We follow the Limes, the old Roman border along the old run of the Rhine to Bodegraven. Instead of following Vlist to Schoonhoven, we now cycle along the Hollandse IJssel, using the ferry at Gouderak, or the one at Oudekerk to approach Krimpen, where we use a ferry to get across to Kinderdijk. We cycle the full length of the mill run. Then along the Het Waaltje river towards Barendrecht, along the Esserdijk to Rhoon. From there we use the Beneluxtunnel (beautiful poem by Jules Deelder spans the length of the tunnel) to get to Vlaardingen and from there to Hoek. 209 km. (original ACME 2 206 km)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19634945

Both routes takes around The Hague and around Rotterdam. Dutch urban planning places Dutch cities in a park like landscape: in the "Green Heart", urban sprawl is contained and so "the countryside" starts within 20 minutes out of the centre of both The Hague and Rotterdam. The Vlaardingen route is used for commutes, but it is built for that: double width bike paths and cycle roads towards Hoek.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #30 on: 20 March, 2017, 06:49:36 am »
Route 2B looks good as well, an embarrassment of riches!

« Reply #31 on: 20 March, 2017, 11:25:34 am »

I agree. It looks like we'll be treated to a near full gamut that the Netherlands has to offer, with the second trip that you've mooted filling in some gaps.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #32 on: 27 March, 2017, 08:19:54 am »

I agree. It looks like we'll be treated to a near full gamut that the Netherlands has to offer, with the second trip that you've mooted filling in some gaps.

The nice thing about Dutch landscape planning is that it produces so much variety on a small scale.

If all of you feel tempted towards 2b, I'll flesh it out a bit more and cycle some stretches. Can add rest stops and cafes and such.

« Reply #33 on: 27 March, 2017, 09:41:07 am »

The nice thing about Dutch landscape planning is that it produces so much variety on a small scale.

If all of you feel tempted towards 2b, I'll flesh it out a bit more and cycle some stretches. Can add rest stops and cafes and such.

Thanks roffa. I think 2b is the consensus. It's very kind of you if you do have time to flesh out the route, but don't worry if you don't have time as what you have prepared is already a great help.

« Reply #34 on: 24 April, 2017, 04:53:31 pm »
There may be a plan C on the horizon for the ACME Tour de Netherland in September. Pondering underway. (@roffa - it'll involve plan b route, but I would hold off making any other changes at the moment).

Found the following link on a separate post about one-way tickets to Europe ... a rather useful online map of all the cycle routes. Mind boggling how any paths there are. http://www.fietsnet.be/routeplanner/default.aspx

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #35 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:47:36 am »
I just booked my ferries - count me in! :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #36 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:54:45 am »

Hooray!  Going fixed???

« Reply #37 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:56:30 am »
Mind boggling how any paths there are. http://www.fietsnet.be/routeplanner/default.aspx

I've just bought the following map as backup for our visit in the summer but it was the description of the cycle routes I thought was quite handy

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Netherlands-Super-Durable-Cycling-Map-South_9789058810151

Netherland’s extensive network of sign-posted cycling routes, including the LF long-distance cycle paths, consists of numbered junctions joined by sign-posted connecting routes in either direction. At each junction there is an information panel showing an overview map of the whole network with the junction numbers. A second panel shows all the intersections directly connected to that junction. The system enables cyclists to plan their own routes by preparing a list of junction numbers through which they want to travel

Oh and they know the pictures of the south map are on the north map descriptions page and vice versa - I told them!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #38 on: 26 May, 2017, 10:25:35 am »

Hooray!  Going fixed???

Yup
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #39 on: 26 May, 2017, 10:38:20 am »

I've just bought the following map as backup for our visit in the summer but it was the description of the cycle routes I thought was quite handy

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Netherlands-Super-Durable-Cycling-Map-South_9789058810151

We have those - much used.... and also an all Netherlands map book which is a bit more detailed and doesn't seem to be listed by Stanfords. It cost us what seemed a riduiculous amount of money (£25 or so) but has been well worth it. Quite heavy so for a short trip we scan the relevant pages.

Definitely intending to join you all for this, but trying to work it into a longer holiday so not booked anything yet, although we haven't normally had problems booking Stena ferries at quite short notice, and the price doesn't seem to go  up.

« Reply #40 on: 26 May, 2017, 01:36:42 pm »
Yay, quite some group forming. Will need to return to some more route planning discussions soon.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #41 on: 26 May, 2017, 01:53:46 pm »
I am hopeful huggy might join us too.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #42 on: 26 May, 2017, 04:24:52 pm »
So are we a group 'weekend' or still a brief encounter?  ???
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #43 on: 26 May, 2017, 04:32:36 pm »
I might be tempted by something slightly longer...
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #44 on: 26 May, 2017, 05:45:04 pm »
If we extend to 2 days, I'm keen to make sure we drop OD off at the ferry as originally planned.

« Reply #45 on: 26 May, 2017, 10:18:56 pm »
I reckon it was at 62 along LF11, according to Open Cycle Map anyway. I haven't dug out the NL cycling maps (though we do those)

Can confirm - did it a few days ago.  :thumbsup:

Make sure you push the spinny thing in as you spin it.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #46 on: 01 June, 2017, 05:22:11 pm »

Can you remember which post number it was at?

I've come across those sort of ferries in Friesland, here's one of the ones I've used: http://www.netperk.eu/pontje-rotstergaast-tjonger-oldemarkt/. It wasn't included in the Lowlands 1200, tho that would have been a comedy moment had it been in the route.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #47 on: 14 June, 2017, 11:36:26 am »
I've booked my ferry crossings to sync with Oaky so I guess that means I'm coming too  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #48 on: 14 June, 2017, 12:11:21 pm »
So where are we with numbers for 2 day and 1 day excursions?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #49 on: 14 June, 2017, 01:11:05 pm »
If I can finish up in time, I will be along this evening. Can discuss then.