Author Topic: Bike mounted USB Charger  (Read 82619 times)

Re: Bike mounted USB Charger
« Reply #150 on: 01 April, 2011, 05:52:18 pm »
In readiness for some longer upcoming rides, I have got my Dahon Reecharge set up strapped to my headset spacer area with a hand-fettled switch made from a Maplin sub-micro switch wearing a waterproof condom-like cover (and the back of it all sealed up with self amalgamating tape).

I'd be interested in any photos of your Reecharge setup on your bike...

I'm still deciding between the Reecharge and the eWerk...

Here it is ... and yep, it's fugly  ;D

The battery pack with my home made switch

The modulating unit thingy. I could shorten some wires but want to make sure it's position is final before I do that!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #151 on: 01 April, 2011, 05:55:55 pm »
That's a pretty good advertisement for bar bags  ;D

How waterproof do you reckon those USB connectors are?  I gave up on the idea of powering my eTrex on the go because I couldn't see how it wasn't going to end up wet...

« Reply #152 on: 01 April, 2011, 06:00:27 pm »
That's a pretty good advertisement for bar bags  ;D

How waterproof do you reckon those USB connectors are?  I gave up on the idea of powering my eTrex on the go because I couldn't see how it wasn't going to end up wet...

The port for USB under the Dahon is very rubbery and probably pretty waterproof. Garmin seem to think it is OK to use the mini USB port while on the move since it is underneath the device and facing downwards with a little rubber flap in front of it. To be honest I'm not sure how waterproof any USB cable actually needs to be if no data is involved and small DC currents are involved. It would only really be the Garmin port I would worry about and in really heavy rain I would always have the option of disconnecting it.

« Reply #153 on: 01 April, 2011, 06:16:33 pm »
I've been running the 705 since 2008 (i.e. when they were initially released). I've ridding in all kinds of weather, and never had a problem with the USB connector. I do try to avoid charging in the rain, but frankly that isn't always possible. Being on the underneath of the device means you'd need water spraying upwards to get into it. With mudguards and horizontal positioning, I think it's OK.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #154 on: 01 April, 2011, 06:17:01 pm »
The port for USB under the Dahon is very rubbery and probably pretty waterproof. Garmin seem to think it is OK to use the mini USB port while on the move since it is underneath the device and facing downwards with a little rubber flap in front of it.

Same arrangement as on the eTrex then.  I decided that it would probably work okay on an upright bike (especially if I added a collar to the cable to keep splashes from the wheel off it), but it wasn't going to happen on the 'bent as it's mounted vertically and will get the full force of the driving rain and less gravitational drainage.

To be honest I'm not sure how waterproof any USB cable actually needs to be if no data is involved and small DC currents are involved. It would only really be the Garmin port I would worry about and in really heavy rain I would always have the option of disconnecting it.

It's corrosion of the contacts (or worse, corrosion of the Garmin's innards) that bothers me rather than the water having any effect electrically.  

« Reply #155 on: 19 December, 2011, 09:07:22 am »
I tried the Tamiya plugs for cycle lighting. They were okay on the road, but with the vibration of off-road riding, the connection was far from reliable. I replaced them with plugs similar to these, which have been 100% fine, if a little bulky: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170745821791

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #156 on: 19 December, 2011, 10:56:03 am »
Yummm, I'm having a geargasm looking at all that gear.  That white thing looks ugly though.  :(

I too wouldn't feel happy about using ordinary USB connectors.  I would Do Something about them, via experimenting with various Stuff I have at home or could buy.  #vaguepost
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #157 on: 19 December, 2011, 05:15:12 pm »
Most kit that needs to be charged via USB, is going to have to use a standard USB connector, unless you want to do some fairly serious modding.  After all half the point is that the USB connector is broadly fairly standard (even if I do have devices which use USB, Mini-USB and Micro-USB for power).

For in-line connections away from the device being powered, and assuming that equipment is put somewhere waterproof (assuming it isn't waterproof anyway, like my Garmin), then I can see the usefulness of a fairly heavy duty, waterproof two pin DC connector.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #158 on: 19 December, 2011, 05:24:17 pm »
The ReeCharge does a reasonable job of splashproofing a USB A connector by squeezing it through a slit in the rubber casing.  But that's the easy end - all that gubbins can go in a waterproof bag.  It's the back of your bar-mounted GPS/phone that's the problem.  I can't help thinking the old serial port eTrex had the right idea.

« Reply #159 on: 19 December, 2011, 06:43:33 pm »
My fugly Reecharge got relegated to hiding inside a Topeak frame bag in shame in the end. However it performed flawlessly on PBP keeping my Garmin charged throughout. I've never bothered to unplug the Garmin in the rain and (touch wood) so far had no problems. I haven't done the vaseline round the connection thing either, since I don't like getting sliminess on my leather Rapha gloves  ;D

« Reply #160 on: 13 December, 2017, 06:52:25 am »
I'm a stronger cyclist but a cycling lover. Last year, I just got a bike cellphone holder and it is cool to play music and offer GPS. But the phone often died halfway. the bike mounted USB charger is a good idea. I'm now using a bestek bike cellphone mount holder that comes with a USB charger.