Author Topic: Recycling tools  (Read 5844 times)

Recycling tools
« on: 04 January, 2019, 04:20:12 pm »
Does anyone know of anyone who recycles hand tools in the York or Malton area?
The council recycling centre in Malton used to have a hand tool bin where they were collected and sent to a charity that sent them to Africa to enable people to setup small businesses but they don't do it anymore. I am going to have a clear out and there will be quite a few screwdrivers, adjustable spanners and the like that are perfectly usable but I have either got duplicates off or replaced cheap items with better ones. Seems a shame just to junk them.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Recycling tools
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2019, 04:51:33 pm »
I donated Dad's tools to workaid. They're based in Chesham but have collection points around the country. Unfortunately my Yorkshire geography isn't up to saying whether they have points near York or Malton.
https://workaid.org/how-to-help/donate-tools/
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:07:03 pm »
According to the Workaid website, the nearest locations to York or Malton are either Shipley, Ilkley or Embsay. None of them very local really.

York council's website suggests donating handtools to The Conservation Volunteers https://www.tcv.org.uk/ but I'm not sure if that's the right sort of hand tools.

We can't think of anywhere else locally around York or Malton. Sorry.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:16:13 pm »
See if there are any Repair Cafes in your locality. Or Mens' Sheds. I've tentatively offered Dad's tools to our local ones.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:20:00 pm »
Yeah, you could drop Arch a PM to see if either she can suggest a repair cafe or a Mr Arch who might be passing nearby at some stage, or you could contact TFSR to see if they have any volunteer groups nearby https://www.tfsr.org/contact-us/ or if the haul is worth sending someone over from slightly further afield.

« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2019, 08:31:44 am »
TWAM  https://www.twam.uk/  have a network of volunteers for collection, apart from their regional hubs

ETA although their website doesn't appear to be operational, linking only to their regional hubs Ah - it does work https://www.twam.uk/findcollector and says the nearest to York is Coventry, may be worth an email

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2019, 09:48:23 am »
What sort of tools have you got, Pcolbeck?

The Friends of Sierra Leone National Railway Museum are desperate for tools to help the guys in the museum out there (the Government has no money!) with basic woodworking and general maintenance tools.  Their chairperson Helen Ashby lives in York, (Manor Drive North), and she and her husband are busily collecting tools right now.  They will be going back out there later in the year.

I'm also a trustee of this charity, and have been out there working a couple of times.  They are so desperately poor and short of resources.
Wombat

« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2019, 11:20:36 am »
Maybe leave them on the pavement outside your home with a "free" sign. That way they'll up where they are wanted without having to pass through many hand and travelling halfway round the world.

« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2019, 12:47:04 pm »
Maybe leave them on the pavement outside your home with a "free" sign. That way they'll up where they are wanted without having to pass through many hand and travelling halfway round the world.

Whilst this worked for my Dad and the broken tumble drier he got me to put outside his house this week (collected by the Gypsies for scrap within 24 hours) I think given I live on a dead end back lane overlooking fields in an out of the way village on the edge of The Wolds any tools left outside would have more chance of rusting back into their constituent elements before someone picked them up😀

« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2019, 12:50:15 pm »
What sort of tools have you got, Pcolbeck?

The Friends of Sierra Leone National Railway Museum are desperate for tools to help the guys in the museum out there (the Government has no money!) with basic woodworking and general maintenance tools.  Their chairperson Helen Ashby lives in York, (Manor Drive North), and she and her husband are busily collecting tools right now.  They will be going back out there later in the year.

I'm also a trustee of this charity, and have been out there working a couple of times.  They are so desperately poor and short of resources.

Brilliant, thanks Wombat. Probably some adjustable spanners some saws and various screwdrivers, bit holders and screwdriver bits. I havent sorted everything out yet. Will probably be in Feb as I have a manic January lined up at work.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #10 on: 05 January, 2019, 01:02:55 pm »
Pcolbeck,
That would be great if you could!  No panic, as they aren't going again for a while., but the struggle for stuff for them is constant.  I now have to find another camera for them, as theirs has succumbed to the dusty atmosphere (its either hot and dusty, or hot and wet out there).  They need a camera for taking pics of visiting groups to post on their facebook page, as publicity is hard to come by, and they have great groups of schools visiting. A phone for that is tricky, as the museum doesn't have one, and the staff can't really afford to use their own regularly, as charging is tricky, and phones are at a premium, the museum having a compact camera is ideal (generally better in the awkward light of the museum, which varies from searing brightness to dingy gloom, too). 

Anyone who has been involved with school visits in the UK would be pleasantly surprised by these lovely well behaved children (Did I, of all people, really say "lovely children"?) who will sing their national anthem to you, and be so grateful for explaining stuff to them. 
Wombat

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2019, 08:51:17 pm »
Your local hack/makerspace/recycle cafe may be a good place.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:46:37 am »

This is North Yorkshire not Hoxton Sam :)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2019, 01:14:29 pm »

There *is* a Hackspace in York, down Hospital Fields Road last time I heard about them. Not too far from Cycle Heaven and Get Cycling.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2019, 02:04:43 pm »
There is also one in Leeds
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 09 January, 2019, 03:24:36 pm »
Before you part with them, have a sort through them. Pre-WW2 chisels & planes with warranted cast steel blades are liable to be a hell of a lot better that most stuff on the market these days.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16 on: 10 January, 2019, 01:18:45 pm »
Before you part with them, have a sort through them. Pre-WW2 chisels & planes with warranted cast steel blades are liable to be a hell of a lot better that most stuff on the market these days.

Those are the sort of tools I buy from carbooit sales and then clean up and use. Its the no name modern adjustable spanners and screwdrivers etc that I will get rid of. I recently have had good look picking up old made in Sweden Bahcos and German Gedore adjustables in various sizes.

« Reply #17 on: 10 January, 2019, 01:19:24 pm »

There *is* a Hackspace in York, down Hospital Fields Road last time I heard about them. Not too far from Cycle Heaven and Get Cycling.

Blimey whatever next !