Author Topic: Learning to swim/improving swimming  (Read 82538 times)

Re: Learning to swim/improving swimming
« Reply #400 on: 03 September, 2017, 12:10:14 pm »
2 weeks until Swim Serpentine (entered the 2 mile swim foolishly) and nowhere near as ready as I'd hoped I'd be.

Did 700m or so of open water swimming in Lake Annecy each day the week before last whilst on holiday. Nothing last week as I was away with no access to a pool.

Today: 1600m (made up of 100m sets slightly faster than normal with a rest in between each one)

I've got another couple of swims planned at least 2500m on Tuesday in one continuous block at steady pace, then another swim next Monday (probably 3200m at least) and then it's a case of jumping in the Serpentine and pushing through.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #401 on: 08 September, 2017, 01:20:48 pm »
Went for a run on Tuesday instead and then Wednesday was too busy at work to sneak out. Managed to nip out early today and did 3000m in just under an hour. Happy with that.

May do another hour on Monday, will see how the shoulders are feeling. I don't want to still be recovering come Saturday week.

« Reply #402 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:10:59 pm »
3200m today in 1h02m. Felt great throughout without the usual going off too fast (I often end up doing the first 100m in ~1m30s before finding the right pace).

Will just have a gentle swim tomorrow after MiniGB finishes her lesson and then it's running, cycling or 5-a-side for the rest of the week.

Got a list of things to remember for Sunday:-
* Wetsuit (I hope I can still squeeze into it!)
* Jammers
* HRM-Tri strap
* Bodyglide
* Swim cap
* Goggles
* Flip flops

Would be great to sneak in under the hour for the 2 miles but I doubt it given it's open water (faster due to wetsuit and drafting, slower due to no push offs every 25m, open water and wanderings off course - my sighting isn't bad though, and just not arsed to have to deal with the swim biff).

« Reply #403 on: 16 September, 2017, 06:14:01 pm »

1h10 according to my Garmin, chip times are not on the website yet.

Happy with that given my relative lack of training.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #404 on: 30 October, 2017, 04:53:18 pm »
I've been swimming again for the past few months, and really enjoying it. Then I lost my prescription goggles and had to wait a month to buy some new ones - but the new ones are excellent because I don't have to empty the water out at the end of each lap - so that was a win. Swimming without goggles was literally a pain in the neck, so I'd swapped to backstroke, but breaststroke is completely my favourite so I wasn't enjoying swimming so much.

Anyway - today was the first day back in the pool, and the first day with my new goggles... and for some reason I just kept swimming and swimming and swimming. I completely lost track of time, but I didn't lose track of my lap count... and I swam just over a mile. I'm so over the moon I had to share it - I'm sure my pace was sedate but I don't care, I was just really delighted that I'd had the stamina to keep going.

I think next week I might do the same but make a note of my start time too... now I'm intrigued as to how long it might take me.

... All this is part of feeling grumpy that I just keep gaining weight and it doesn't matter how far I cycle it make no difference. It is almost as though my body has learned to hang on to fat with a vice-like-grip just in case I ask it to ride in the cold and rain all day without feeding it. So giving my body a surprise by asking it to swim... and then swimming a lot has filled me with joy. Like I've been swimming with Endolphins. Woo.

Sorry - I know this is a self-indulgent post. I'm just feeling really bouncy and wanted to shout about it. Yay. :)

« Reply #405 on: 30 October, 2017, 05:36:46 pm »
Good post; Graeme. made me smile.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #406 on: 30 October, 2017, 06:48:46 pm »
Partner Liz and I decided about three months ago to take lessons and learn to swim the crawl properly. I have found it really difficult to keep going and see so little progress. I could not even swim 20metres without feeling totally exhausted and needed a rest before starting off again. However I have at last made a real breakthrough by using paddles. They have forced me to slow down my stroke speed and I can now manage a 50m length without the paddles at the Commie Pool in Edinburgh and be able to turn around again and do another. We have been taking private lessons from a fabulous instructor who has endless patience and is really encouraging. I am now looking forward to going to La Santa in Lanzarote in a couple of weeks and not being two and a half lengths behind the second last swimmer in 400m. Last year I took 16 minutes for the distance and managed one length of the breast stroke before defaulting to the breast stroke for the remainder. 

« Reply #407 on: 22 August, 2018, 09:53:00 am »
some friends are doing the Serpentine swim this year, as per Mr Greenbank above, and have been training at the open air pool in Cambridge.  I got bullied into joining them the last few times, having hardly swum at all in the last year.
 - a 90m pool is too damn far, I'm knackered by half way.
 - I always set off too hard.  First 2 lengths I'm going great, by length 5 I'm focussed on survival and only by length 8 or so am I through the worst and actually going at a sustainable speed.
 - by which time I'm Quite Tired and am having at least one breast-stroke break per length.
 - is it normal to be so hungry afterwards?  It's not even 10 o'clock and my lunch is gone and I'm thinking about a 2nd.

Pool temp was 17 this morning so broke out the wetsuit (which is quite a lot tighter than it used to be!) and managed 16 lengths - quite hot but much easier in a suit.  Luckily the pool closes for the winter soon and I can go back to encouraging them over a coffee rather than actually getting in the water :D

« Reply #408 on: 22 August, 2018, 12:08:25 pm »
training

Ah. Yes. Training.

I did 1500m on Monday. First swim in a couple of months. Only 4 weeks to go until Swim Serpentine, and I'm entered in the 2 mile swim. Oh well, it'll be fun.

- a 90m pool is too damn far, I'm knackered by half way.

It takes a while to get the pacing right, especially for open water. Whenever I go back to open water I always find myself blowing after a minute or so because I'm waiting for the short rest you get at each turn (my training is all done in a 25m or 33.3m pool). It's surprising how much of a break you get in that short glide to the end of the length, turn and subsequent push and glide.

Serpentine water temp was 15.2 deg C last year. That felt so bloody cold on the feet, hands and face. Gave me something swear about for the first few minutes (whilst I also set off too fast).

It's going to be an even tighter fit with my wetsuit this year, unless I can drop a good few kg in the next few weeks.

(Love the Jesus Green Lido. I grew up doing lots of swimming there, and did some lifeguarding one summer.)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #409 on: 22 August, 2018, 12:26:09 pm »
It's going to be an even tightersleeker fit with my wetsuit this year, unless I can drop a good few kg in the next few weeks.

FTFY :)

« Reply #410 on: 10 September, 2018, 11:58:28 am »
Only did 1000m this morning, just couldn't be bothered. Swim Serpentine looking doubtful. Will see if I can force myself to do 3000m either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Found this though: https://www.marathonswims.com/

1k, 5k and 10k swims in the Olympic pool in Stratford. Mostly sold out for 2018 but I'll keep an eye on it for next year as I'd definitely be up for a 10k pool swim.

ian

« Reply #411 on: 10 September, 2018, 12:10:34 pm »
I did a few 10km swims a while back. It's a bit dull, tbh, even for an inveterate daydreamer like me. Not sure I'd do it again. It's not like the scenery changes and there's a lack of usual bad tattoos on display to entertain me.

That said, I was telling someone that swam 50 lengths the other day and she assumed that I was 'doing it for charity.' It's a 30 minute swim...

« Reply #412 on: 10 September, 2018, 12:25:50 pm »
You get to get out of the pool every 1km though for a little walk, so it's like a hideous duathlon. You start in lane 1, do two 50m lengths and move to lane 2, another two 50m lengths, move to lane 3, ... all the way to lane 10. Once you've done the 20th length (1000m) you get out and walk back to lane 1 (resting/drinking/eating/etc if required). Lather, rinse, repeat until you've done the appropriate distance.

In the Olympic pool too.

I'm used to the monotony. I had swimming coaching for years in my youth (City of Cambridge SC, formerly Granta SC). Staring at the bottom of the pool for hours on end is quite normal (hello discarded plaster, hello lost hairband, hello cracked tile, hello HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I HOPE THAT CLUMP OF MATTED HAIR STAYS THE FUCK AWAY FROM MY MOUTH, hello discarded plaster, hello lost hairband, ...)

« Reply #413 on: 10 September, 2018, 12:28:00 pm »
Ian, I think maybe if you put "I" between "that" and "swam" it would be a bit more understandable.  For a second, I thought you meant she had swum 50 lengths and was marvelling (as would I) that you could swim 10k in 30 minutes, which is international vest time on the running track, never mind in budgie-smugglers!

Peter

ian

« Reply #414 on: 10 September, 2018, 01:15:45 pm »
Sorry, I type too fast and my brain fills in the missing words. But yes, I did the swim, she did the comment. It happens all the time, we tell someone we did a twenty mile hike (not uncommon) and the assumption is always that's we're doing it for charity. It's only a matter of time before my 10 minute amble to the train station is deemed worthy of sponsorship.

As for the swim marathons, things have softened up, I did 400 lengths back and forth without a break (well, you could stop at the ends for drink and pause, but simpler to keep going). I will say that my daily 50 lengths vary – sometimes I vague-out and it's all over, other times, it's a grim tick-tock of each and every length. Those are usually the days when I swim like a sack of spanners. Generally, after many years of swimming I don't really tire beyond a certain point unless I really thrash, so the limit is boredom. That said, I often do 50 lengths in the Crystal Palace 50 metre pool just because. It's easier to zone out when you're not having to turn all the time.

« Reply #415 on: 10 September, 2018, 01:26:53 pm »
Yes, it's odd how the same "task" can seem so different on different occasions.  I try to ride at least 10 miles a day and have several circuits or laps to alleviate the monotony, although generally love of cycling itself is enough.  However, some days the tme will fly by while on others, for no particular reason, I can hardly be bothered to turn the pedals over.  Yesterday's was helped by unexpected sighting of green woodpecker (unlikely at the pool, admittedly)!

« Reply #416 on: 10 September, 2018, 03:54:13 pm »
Since my daughter started school I've only worked 4 days a week and my days off used to be Fri/Sat/Sun. My extra (weekday) day off was a chance for me to get fit. 6 hours of uninterrupted free time whilst my daughter was at school and wife at work. Swimming, long walks, cycling, running, etc.

However, I'd play 5-a-side on a Thursday night with mates and would end up in the pub for too many pints.

So every Friday morning I'd be up with a hangover, dropping my daughter off at school and then going straight for a swim, ideally 1h20m worth. It'd start off feeling reasonably grim and a slog but I'd get into the rhythm of it, start to feel better and some times I'd be happy to push on past the 4000m mark.

I did this for a few years until I swapped my day off from Friday to Monday (which meant I now try and run my hangover 11km into work on a Friday). Oof.

But now I think I get the Dean Martin quote[1]. I start my 4km swim on a Monday fresh as a daisy and I only ever seem to feel worse as it goes on. It's taken a lot more mental effort to stay in the pool since I've swapped days.

1. "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

« Reply #417 on: 21 September, 2018, 05:19:17 pm »
Well, all excuses to avoid Swim Serpentine have failed (even my hastily arranged childcare is holding up) so I guess I'll have to do it.

Lack of training means I'll be slower than last year so probably 1h15 to 1h20. (I'll be close to being lapped if I'm any slower.)

At least I know what to expect this time!

« Reply #418 on: 22 September, 2018, 01:50:26 pm »
1h13 something. Happy with that off scant training.

Really enjoyed it this time, got into a nice rhythm after about 10 minutes and bashed it out.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #419 on: 22 September, 2018, 04:35:29 pm »
Not too shabby!
Well done!
I can't swim at all any more cos my arms are too weak to keep my head above water.

« Reply #420 on: 04 January, 2019, 11:48:18 am »
Entered a 10k swim in November 2019 in the Olympic pool: https://www.marathonswims.com/ (not cheap!)

Will definitely do the Swim Serpentine 2 mile swim again in Sep 2019, given I'll be training for the above 10k swim I may even opt for the 6 mile (Super 6) option. I think I should get preferential entry as I've done both of the 2 mile Swim Serpentine events that have taken place.

With proper training I'll aim for sub 50min for the 2 mile event. For the 10k I'd be happy with sub 3h30m.

For now I'll just keep things ticking over in the pool and I'll focus more on distance later in the year. If I get a Ride 100 place in the ballot (find out mid-Feb) then I'll need to ramp up the miles for that alongside marathon training.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #421 on: 04 January, 2019, 02:07:23 pm »
started swimming as rehab following my fractured pelvis.  I was going regularly twice a week and walking inbetween days.  Started out arms only, 400m almost did for me.  Today, having had a lay off over christmas I did 200 warm up / 1050 (miscounted laps) / 150 cool down for  1400m total, total session length just under 35min.

I might keep this up for a while as I don't feel confident going back to running yet. Even if my technique hasn't improved my stamina has
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

essexian

« Reply #422 on: 23 January, 2019, 08:20:16 pm »
Reading this thread inspired me to go swimming again on Sunday after an imposed gap of some 2 years...blimey, just checked this thread, its nearer to three years.....following an injury to my right arm which meant I could not raise the arm above my head. I had got into my head a silly idea that I could get fit enough to do the Swim Serpentine (the mile) in September..... well, before my injury I could manage 1 200 to 1 500 metres in a pool with some effort and I had had some coaching so my stroke was much better than it had been.

However.... come Sunday I discovered that I could no longer swim....well I managed to do 50m before giving up. My "improved" stroke was terrible: I just couldn't get the breathing right, while my previous stroke was slower and more painful than it had been. A mile seems, er, miles away! I have checked the times for the last event and the slowest was someway over 2 1/2 hours.... I would be looking at around an hour which is slow by normal standards but hey ho, its not a race....is it?

Not wanting to give up after just one go, I tried again this evening and again, my improved stroke just isn't working but I did manage 250m using the old, arms only stroke. I feel I could have done more but it was an open session and thus, there were lots of children in the pool enjoying themselves.....how dare they!!!!  >:( ;D ;D ;D

Can I make it to a mile by September: I think I should be able to do if I put some work in....something I try to avoid at all costs! The one thing I forgot was how much it hurts my back and neck!

ian

« Reply #423 on: 23 January, 2019, 08:35:22 pm »
I've always been a bit against recording my exertions but I have started as a thing in 2019 (in part my motivation was that I always bloody forget how many lengths I'm on and the pool has a stupid clock that catches and has to be poked by the lifeguard armed with a big stick).

Anyway, I've now proven to myself that I'm not very fast and no, I can't count my lengths very well. It does make me self-competitive, thrashing through my final length in an attempt to hit a magically implausible sub-20ish seconds in a feat that I imagine makes it look like I'm the main course of a piranha feeding frenzy.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #424 on: 24 January, 2019, 09:19:04 am »
Reading this thread inspired me to go swimming again on Sunday after an imposed gap of some 2 years...blimey, just checked this thread, its nearer to three years.....following an injury to my right arm which meant I could not raise the arm above my head. I had got into my head a silly idea that I could get fit enough to do the Swim Serpentine (the mile) in September..... well, before my injury I could manage 1 200 to 1 500 metres in a pool with some effort and I had had some coaching so my stroke was much better than it had been.

However.... come Sunday I discovered that I could no longer swim....well I managed to do 50m before giving up. My "improved" stroke was terrible: I just couldn't get the breathing right, while my previous stroke was slower and more painful than it had been. A mile seems, er, miles away! I have checked the times for the last event and the slowest was someway over 2 1/2 hours.... I would be looking at around an hour which is slow by normal standards but hey ho, its not a race....is it?

Not wanting to give up after just one go, I tried again this evening and again, my improved stroke just isn't working but I did manage 250m using the old, arms only stroke. I feel I could have done more but it was an open session and thus, there were lots of children in the pool enjoying themselves.....how dare they!!!!  >:( ;D ;D ;D

Can I make it to a mile by September: I think I should be able to do if I put some work in....something I try to avoid at all costs! The one thing I forgot was how much it hurts my back and neck!

If I can get from 400m arms only and feeling like I'm half dead, to 1500m and feeling good at the end of it in about 2 months, then I'd say a mile in September is well within your reach.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens