Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752396 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #7200 on: 02 July, 2015, 11:43:42 am »
I should be OK for next Wednesday, can we go to The Compasses as I still haven't seen the tea towel now its hung on the wall by the bogs.  I'd also like to pit Fred against TMNH if that's OK with everyone.

This works for me OD, I'm happy to plot a route which incorporates TMNH and takes us round to The Compasses.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7201 on: 02 July, 2015, 11:50:39 am »
The Compasses via TMNH - it's about time we headed West again to not discourage our members that side of the A130  ::-)
Maybe an extended route, possibly circumnavigating Chelmsford if it doesn't take too long??

Maybe we should aim to be back as a peleton  next  week, fun as it was watching DL, Bobb and Carlos stretch their legs.
In a larger group such as last night I don't have a problem with it splitting for a faster lead out and a more sedate pace for those not up to quickness.  We just need to ensure that both groups have the navigation info and skilz to end up at the destination.  This is in the unwritten rules that no one that starts off with us gets dropped in the middle of nowhere with few means of getting to the pub or home :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7202 on: 02 July, 2015, 12:03:41 pm »
We will accept Dogger's kind offer of route plotting.

huggy's words make  much sense and shouldn't be forgotten.  The spirit of which he speaks was much in evidence last night  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7203 on: 02 July, 2015, 01:04:11 pm »
Just to throw a large spanner in the works  :demon:

It is the Chelmsford Beer and Cider Festival all next week...

http://www.chelmsfordbeerandciderfestivals.camra.org.uk/viewnode.php?id=25455

We might even tempt out Jiber Jaber...

Now that DL has squandered our reserves, are we still aiming for a mid-season curry evening or should this wait until after the French excursion ?

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7204 on: 02 July, 2015, 01:05:53 pm »
I'm more than happy to grace the beer fest with my presence.  We've been before some moons ago.

The Retiree

« Reply #7205 on: 02 July, 2015, 01:21:35 pm »
In terrible advanced planning mode here is my route to The Compasses https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/10075186 however happy to use this on another Weds if we decide to grace the beer festival with our presence!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7206 on: 02 July, 2015, 01:26:40 pm »
last night was cracking, I enjoyed the route, I enjoyed the Warmth, I enjoyed that pint of Aspall to cool down with and the lighthouse for the energy benefits riding home and most of all I enjoyed the company!

I quite enjoyed playing Catch Up a couple of times, the push from Wigborough to Mersea was good fun trying to reel the front runners in, I saw Ted and thought I was nearly there but he'd obviously let them carry on more than I had thought. I finally caught them just as we were coming through the last couple of corners before going down to the coast....the effort on that piece made Aspall disappear a little too fast!

« Reply #7207 on: 02 July, 2015, 01:38:53 pm »

If that's next Wednesday's destination, I think I can break the MEMWNS record for the shortest ride. It will be less than a mile there and back  :P

Edit: Last night was good. Nice to do some big ring riding  ;D I seemed to pick up a bit of a tailwind home too, so I absolutely battered it all the way :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #7208 on: 02 July, 2015, 01:41:47 pm »
I saw Ted and thought I was nearly there but he'd obviously let them carry on more than I had thought.

Bless you for not saying "but he was obviously far too slow to keep up when they really put the toe down"  :thumbsup: (even if we both know it was true).

Those boys were shifting by then and you did bloody well to get anywhere near them.  I am sure it was only the lack of carbon wheels that kept you from catching them  :-\

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7209 on: 02 July, 2015, 02:38:55 pm »
So...a massive training loop to Chelmo for the Beerfest [might have to break out the road bike to stand a chance of keeping up  :P] or by way of a contrast a pootle over on something different [small wheels? MTB?]

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #7210 on: 02 July, 2015, 02:39:36 pm »
In terrible advanced planning mode here is my route to The Compasses https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/10075186 however happy to use this on another Weds if we decide to grace the beer festival with our presence!  :thumbsup:
Did someone say circumnavigate Chelmsford to The Compasses  :facepalm:  ;D

In other options it's not too dissimilar to a previous visit to the Chelmsford Beer Festival route ridden by OD and me back in 2011
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/99028427
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7211 on: 02 July, 2015, 02:44:33 pm »
Well there we are then, huggy solves the problem in one fell swoop. Bring lots of locks as, if I recall rightly, you have to leave bikes outside the beer fest area.

« Reply #7212 on: 02 July, 2015, 02:48:49 pm »
Or leave them in my car park which is secure and about 10 minutes from Admirals Park.

The Retiree

« Reply #7213 on: 02 July, 2015, 03:30:48 pm »
if I recall rightly, you have to leave bikes outside the beer fest area.

You are quite correct OD it says that bikes can be chained up outside of the beer festival.....

Or leave them in my car park which is secure and about 10 minutes from Admirals Park.

Which makes Teds offer very appealing as i would much rather leave the bike in a secure car park than outside the beer festival  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7214 on: 02 July, 2015, 04:02:03 pm »
Some stats ...

DL - joined on 7th September 2014 and has so far spent 4 days, 14 hours and 56 minutes on yacf  :o  385 posts, mostly winding up ted.

ted - joined 28th March 2014 and managed 6 days, 20 hours and 30 minutes on yacf  :o  Only 181 posts, mostly winding up DL

Admittedly they both are eclipsed by me, I've devoted 84 days, 20 hours and 12 minutes to yacf  :o  I've also managed 8109 posts winding up a whole variety of folks since I joined on 28th March 2008.

I love stats thanks for these OD and of course this proves why you're the Godfather of MEMWNS!!!
Ted's low posting rate may also be down to the hours (or lack of) that he spends in the office at his desk due to these regular half day shifts  ;D

OD is an amateur.  O:-)

Total Time Spent Online:441 days, 14 hours and 29 minutes
Total Posts:35140 posts
Total Topics Started:2195 topics
Number of Polls Created:21 polls
Number of Votes Cast:157 votes

It is quite possible that I might be able to attend next week, since today is our last roster of grandparental duty until September some time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7215 on: 02 July, 2015, 04:26:06 pm »
Total Time Spent Online:441 days, 14 hours and 29 minutes
Total Posts:35140 posts
Total Topics Started:2195 topics
Number of Polls Created:21 polls
Number of Votes Cast:157 votes

Right DL, you have heard from the Zen master of YACF.  That is a target for you.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7216 on: 02 July, 2015, 05:33:09 pm »
 :hand:

Just ...

DL uses enough internet as it is. He doesn't need challenging otherwise the rest of us will need to find a new internet to use.

« Reply #7217 on: 02 July, 2015, 06:15:56 pm »
Yes, but the poor little chap has to fill up his time in between cycling and dogging somehow.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7218 on: 02 July, 2015, 09:10:25 pm »

Just ...

DL uses enough internet as it is. He doesn't need challenging otherwise the rest of us will need to find a new internet to use.

By the way, OD, did you see that I started a thread pointing out that tonight's is merely the first full moon in July? The Blue Moon is on 29th.

The original ride was on 30th June 2007.

Just saying.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7219 on: 02 July, 2015, 09:28:08 pm »
And the 29th is a Wednesday.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7220 on: 02 July, 2015, 09:39:01 pm »

That gives you a choice of Saturday on which to do the Blue Moon ride. The Dun Run is on the Saturday nearest to July's full moon.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7221 on: 02 July, 2015, 11:16:17 pm »

We might even tempt out Jiber Jaber...

Now that DL has squandered our reserves, are we still aiming for a mid-season curry evening or should this wait until after the French excursion ?

Would love to but I'll be partaking in the french hospitality of a B&B at a Cider Farm en route to Loire - seems every time there is a 'local' the planets never align for me :)
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7222 on: 03 July, 2015, 08:41:06 am »

That gives you a choice of Saturday on which to do the Blue Moon ride. The Dun Run is on the Saturday nearest to July's full moon.

MEMWNS to The Half-Moon at: Belchamp St Paul, another in Rayleigh...Moon on the Square, Basildon?

« Reply #7223 on: 03 July, 2015, 03:39:56 pm »
looks like Tomsk and I might have some stories to tell after the helpers ride  :facepalm:

Stormy Weather

The Retiree

« Reply #7224 on: 03 July, 2015, 03:53:08 pm »
looks like Tomsk and I might have some stories to tell after the helpers ride  :facepalm:

Stormy Weather

Yes you may get a little damp! Mudguards on  :'(

MEMWNS to The Half-Moon at: Belchamp St Paul, another in Rayleigh...Moon on the Square, Basildon?

:thumbsup: great idea with Belchamp Tomsk I have a route already plotted for this

CAMRA members don't forget your membership cards on Weds as it's free entry  ;D