Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751925 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #8050 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:46:55 pm »
Let's shake things up a bit!  I have two suggestions ...

Firstly, each week, until we get bored with the following idea or someone comes up with a better one, or apathy drags us back to the status quo (not that the status quo isn't great fun), a member could produce a route that showcases their area and concludes with a visit to their local pub.  One of the benefits being that Chosen One TM for the week gets a nice short ride home.  I'm happy to go first this Wednesday if folks like the idea.

Secondly, I know this has been discussed before but shall we have a go on the Olympic Velodrome?.  I'm happy to organise - shouldn't be much of a chore.

What do we think?

Would my goodself, you, Huggy, Andy C33, Oaky, SSN and Ian the commuter have to draw short straws for our local as we are all a stones throw from one another  ???

I would certainly be up for another blast around the velodrome, jolly good fun it is!  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8051 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:49:31 pm »
Let's shake things up a bit!  I have two suggestions ...

Firstly, each week, until we get bored with the following idea or someone comes up with a better one, or apathy drags us back to the status quo (not that the status quo isn't great fun), a member could produce a route that showcases their area and concludes with a visit to their local pub.  One of the benefits being that Chosen One TM for the week gets a nice short ride home.  I'm happy to go first this Wednesday if folks like the idea.

Secondly, I know this has been discussed before but shall we have a go on the Olympic Velodrome?.  I'm happy to organise - shouldn't be much of a chore.

What do we think?

Would my goodself, you, Huggy, Andy C33, Oaky, SSN and Ian the commuter have to draw short straws for our local as we are all a stones throw from one another  ???

I would certainly be up for another blast around the velodrome, jolly good fun it is!  :thumbsup:

Yes, as there are so many Withamites we might have to space ourselves out and maybe get creative as there aren't that many decent pubs in Witham.

Anyone else fancy a blast round the velodrome?  ted's new found skillz on a fixed could come in handy.

« Reply #8052 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:50:54 pm »

Don't worry DL, I will supply you with a list of pubs that you can use which may or may not be east of the A12  ;)

Talking of which, when was the last time the peloton went to the Bell at Totham ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #8053 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:03:29 pm »
Don't worry DL, I will supply you with a list of pubs that you can use which may or may not be east of the A12  ;)

Talking of which, when was the last time the peloton went to the Bell at Totham ?

Please do Ted I much prefer the whole 'more miles less beer' theory  ;D particularly given the debauchery that occurred last Wednesday  :facepalm:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8054 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:06:07 pm »
Isn't The Compasses our "local" anyway? ;)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8055 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:22:57 pm »
Isn't The Compasses our "local" anyway? ;)

Well it could be.  All "rulz" pertaining to our activities are open to abuse interpretation  :thumbsup:  I believe this principle was first visited upon us by your good self  ::-)

« Reply #8056 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:25:52 pm »
I'd love to have a go on the velodrome. When were you thinking?

I reckon I'll be out this Wednseday...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8057 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:34:41 pm »
I'd love to have a go on the velodrome. When were you thinking?

Dunno, sometime before Christmas? 

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8058 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:37:47 pm »
I am in fairly regular email contact with the clubs appointment person at the Velodrome having enquired before.  The problem is that club spots get booked up very quickly and any that we may get to nab would be at times not compatible with anyone that has to work during the day, weekends being rarer than 24 carat hen's teeth. As a club we would need to commit to a minimum number, 10 I think form memory hiring the track for an hour and rent equipment.  As an individual you have the option of almost turning up and taking your chance but for reasons already stated no more than 1 or 2 are likely to be lucky enough to get a go.
Can try again with seeing what is available in the next block of bookings, these tend to be announced 3 months ahead of time so we are not talking about turning up en mass next Wednesday evening  :-\

ETA: In the spoiler is a copy of the most recent email received from John Scripps, spoiler functionality used as it's rather a long email to post in full  ::-)

(click to show/hide)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8059 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:47:50 pm »
Ah, I didn't realise booking a session was so protracted.  Please keep your ear to the velodrome ground and let us know when a suitable session comes up.  I'm thinking it probably won't be this side of Christmas but never mind - any time will do.

« Reply #8060 on: 09 November, 2015, 03:25:58 pm »
I'm up for a few loops at the Velodrome if and when it can be arranged.

Wednesday night plan sounds good, to be fair the selection of pubs around Tiptree are a bit poo but then there are enough in a reasonably close distance.

I won't be out this week, got a trip to Birmingham early Thursday and need to be sharp for it!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8061 on: 09 November, 2015, 03:31:03 pm »
I'm not out either this week, in Birmingham for the next couple of days then an early meeting on Thursday morning... :(
Regards,

Joergen

The Retiree

« Reply #8062 on: 09 November, 2015, 03:55:56 pm »
I won't be out this week, got a trip to Birmingham early Thursday and need to be sharp for it!

I'm not out either this week, in Birmingham for the next couple of days then an early meeting on Thursday morning... :(

Honestly Gents don't let OD & Oaky's G&T fuelled shenanigans put you off joining us for a swift pint ;D Just look at the example myself,Ted and Tomsk as upstanding members of the MEMWNS community set O:-)

« Reply #8063 on: 09 November, 2015, 03:57:05 pm »
We could have nearly had a Midlands MEMWNS On Tour meet up....

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8064 on: 09 November, 2015, 04:00:59 pm »
 ;D

Dunmow pubs aren't that great, Angel & Harp is ok, as is the Queen Vic, but could we resist a curry at the latter...?

Village pubs out my way that I'd recommend: Three Horseshoes at Duton Hill, all Bardfield and Finchingfield hostelries, The Cock at Henham, Swan at Gt Easton, Sir John Houblon in Gt Hallingbury to name but a few, are perhaps a bit far away for the 'Easterners'.

The 'Butcher's Arms' at North End [on the main Chelmsford Rd] has recently re-opened after a refurb. Don't know what it's like now though, but there is some C.O.R. potential from the Pleshey direction - mostly concrete farm roads I seem to recall and 'Dunmow Lane' back from Ford End via Gt Waltham is a reasonable gravel road.

It has occurred to me that we haven't been to the 'Walnut Tree' at Broads Green recently, though...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8065 on: 09 November, 2015, 06:11:09 pm »
So anyhow, my idea of each us hosting a ride in one's local area, showcasing one's patch and then your local pub.  I offer humanity and you lot this gem of a ROUTE

Highlights include a bit of light comedy off-roading, the offer of a cut throat, a nice blue bridge, a hill we all know and love, some dogging (naturally) then a pint or two at Witham's Woolpack which brews it's own beer, or at least it did when I last looked in.

Zat okay with you all?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8066 on: 09 November, 2015, 06:41:15 pm »
There's no way in the name of all that's holy that your Garmin will follow that route unmodified!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8067 on: 09 November, 2015, 07:57:50 pm »
...then a pint or two at Witham's Woolpack which brews it's own beer, or at least it did when I last looked in.
The home brewing landlord moved on to bigger brewing premises about a year ago I think.

There's no way in the name of all that's holy that your Garmin will follow that route unmodified!
Agreed!!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8068 on: 09 November, 2015, 07:58:58 pm »
Looks like the drunken meanderings of a spider...I like it!

I reckon I'll try and head you off somewhere about an hour in, by backtracking up your route if I approach from Boreham. If it doesn't work I'll improvise...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8069 on: 09 November, 2015, 09:29:56 pm »

You could be right but it's managed similar routes before without a problem.  Then again on other occasions ...    ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8070 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:03:38 am »
I know there are a few Genesis fans hereabouts.  If you fancy a cheap Croix de Fer click HERE.  This offer has just been emailed to me.

« Reply #8071 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:40:48 am »
Genesis are our official team supplier. 

Which one will you be getting to replace Barney Ribble ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8072 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:55:51 am »
Genesis are our official team supplier. 

Which one will you be getting to replace Barney Ribble ?

I'm not buying any new bikes yet, not until I've ridden the wheels off my current new bike, which has yet to do 1000 miles, although its getting close.

« Reply #8073 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:00:11 am »
Oh okay then.

No need to get Surly.

I'll fetch my own coat.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8074 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:07:57 am »
 ::-)