Author Topic: Zefal HPX discontinued?  (Read 7991 times)

Zefal HPX discontinued?
« on: 19 January, 2023, 08:27:06 pm »
Zefal doesn't have the HPX on their website, in fact they don't have any frame fit pumps at all. Retailers only seem to have the size 3 in stock and a few days ago I noticed the price is now about £20-22, normally about £26-£30. Are they now selling off any remaining stock at a reduced price?

Anyhow I just got one for £18. OK I know most people use a mini pump now but the HPX is still a classic so get one while you still can!

Yes you can still get a secondhand one after they're all sold but it's just not as convenient.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Zefal HPX discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2023, 08:33:04 pm »
 :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2023, 08:34:21 pm »
An HPX is more effective and efficient than a mini pump because size counts. The bigger the pump, the harder the bump. Or something.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2023, 08:37:38 pm »
I think it's the length relative to the diameter of the pump with regards to how much pressure you can generate.

« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2023, 08:45:43 pm »
Bugger :-(

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2023, 08:47:36 pm »
Zefal Rev 88 plastic frame fit still out there (for now) for £4.99 in various lengths.

« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2023, 09:05:38 pm »
Anyhow I just got one for £18. OK I know most people use a mini pump now but the HPX is still a classic so get one while you still can!

Too true.
I've had my size 4 for 22yrs.
Excellent pump.
Garry Broad

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2023, 09:30:20 pm »
For all my frame fit high pressure needs I use a Topeak Road Masterblaster.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2023, 10:12:23 pm »
Sorry to see this.
I've never got on with any mini-pump.
IMHO longer length means better compression ratio.
Repeated small movements cause fatigue.
D seems to be OK with small pumps though.
Still have one hp-x...

« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2023, 10:19:57 pm »
They were out of stock for many years and returned again for some years.
I have my private stock since years ago, during a classic bike jumble, I discovered boxes with assorted pumps under a table, 1 or 2 Euro each. I took some time digging through the boxes and ended the day with 10 HPX's of various sizes for about 15 Euro.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2023, 10:26:19 pm »
I have changed over to Topeak Turbo Morph (G) on all my audax ready bikes, capable up to 160psi allegedly but really suits higher volume tyres.

For the summer toys with 23mm tyres I have the Topeak Road Morph G pumps (plus the gauge dismantled, added coloured lines so I can see the target pressure and recalibrated).

Both are mini floor pumps with flexihoses which get on well with all the valves I have ever used them on. I fix mine to the non drive side seat stay on most bikes.

« Reply #11 on: 20 January, 2023, 08:38:33 am »
I have owned both a Zefal and a Blackburn frame fit pump and to be honest I found the latter to be the better pump.  In fact, It might still be in my bits box though it hasn't seen the light of day for well over a decade.  One day I will discover it, try it and probably need to dismantle it to replace an o ring.

The only bicycle pump I use these days is a Topeak track pump for use after puncture and wheel repairs for friends.

« Reply #12 on: 20 January, 2023, 09:16:03 am »
I have one knocking about somewhere, haven't used it in years, for ease of use I prefer the min-track design.  There was a time when at least half the bikes on any CTC ride and a good proportion of those on an Audax, would have a HPX, now it's a bit of a rarity.  Are there any OTP touring bikes that come with a pump peg as standard?  The three touring bikes I've bought in the last 10 years don't, It would have been considered an omission when the HPX ruled the roads.

« Reply #13 on: 20 January, 2023, 09:37:09 am »
Are there any OTP touring bikes that come with a pump peg as standard?  The three touring bikes I've bought in the last 10 years don't, It would have been considered an omission when the HPX ruled the roads.
It is possible to create your own pump-peg by using a zip-tie around the head tube (and cutting off
the excess).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2023, 09:38:29 am »
I think it's the length relative to the diameter of the pump with regards to how much pressure you can generate.
That's what she said.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 20 January, 2023, 10:12:03 am »
I have one knocking about somewhere, haven't used it in years, for ease of use I prefer the min-track design.  There was a time when at least half the bikes on any CTC ride and a good proportion of those on an Audax, would have a HPX, now it's a bit of a rarity.  Are there any OTP touring bikes that come with a pump peg as standard?  The three touring bikes I've bought in the last 10 years don't, It would have been considered an omission when the HPX ruled the roads.
I think Thorn still include them. Probably Spa do but I don't know for sure.

« Reply #16 on: 20 January, 2023, 10:44:42 am »
You think wrong. Two of the three are Thorns, Mercury and Nomad.  The other, Sonder Santiago,  didn't have one either.  Neither did the Surly Ogre, though I didn't consider that a tourer in the trad sense, so wouldn't have expected it.

« Reply #17 on: 20 January, 2023, 10:46:45 am »
It is possible to create your own pump-peg by using a zip-tie around the head tube (and cutting off
the excess).
Of course you can add one, there are, or were, products made specifically for that purpose.  The point wasn't about how to fit a frame pump, rather that the lack of a peg as standard demonstrates demand.

« Reply #18 on: 20 January, 2023, 10:56:02 am »
Have a zefal for the 1987 British Eagle Touristique (it's nearly as old!).  The Roberts has a Road Masterblaster on the seat stay.  Only room for the 4349 unfortunately.  Just checked and found the collar to switch from 'compress' to 'pump' was jammed on both pumps.  Easily fixed in the garage with a dose of WD40 but annoying if on the road.

The Road Masterblaster is a great pump, and if you can't get an HPX now, I believe it could offer a good alternative and comes in various sizes. 

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/maintenance/pumps/frame-fit-pump/topeak-road-master-blaster-review/

Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19 on: 20 January, 2023, 11:00:45 am »
You think wrong. Two of the three are Thorns, Mercury and Nomad.  The other, Sonder Santiago,  didn't have one either.  Neither did the Surly Ogre, though I didn't consider that a tourer in the trad sense, so wouldn't have expected it.
I've definitely seen Thorns with pump pegs – but maybe it's a thing of the past for them too. Or maybe it was only ever an option?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: 20 January, 2023, 11:02:41 am »
Just remembered; my Surly Pacer has a peg pump! Despite not being a touring bike.

« Reply #21 on: 20 January, 2023, 11:14:11 am »
I've definitely seen Thorns with pump pegs – but maybe it's a thing of the past for them too. Or maybe it was only ever an option?
Yes all Thorns did, along with most other touring bikes, I can't remember buying one before about 2010 that didn't, as I said it would have been considered an omission.  Thorn used to push the HPX as a pretty standard upgrade, their literature used to list the size required,  if you saw a Thorn then it was likely to have one.
Isn't the thread, the demise of the HPX, about how things have changed?
To demonstrate the point
Just remembered; my Surly Pacer has a peg pump! Despite not being a touring bike.
An old design discontinued five years ago, any pump pegs on the current range?

« Reply #22 on: 20 January, 2023, 11:48:19 am »
I still have a Park Tool PMP-5 frame fit pump which sadly is also discontinued. I shall treasure it always.
I like the cable tie pump pip trick. I'll have to try it on my bike.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23 on: 20 January, 2023, 03:02:07 pm »
In the good old days, when seat angles were slacker than head angles, frame-fitting pumps wedged securely under the top tube with or without a peg on the head tube.  Now many bikes are 73/73, this doesn't work well.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 20 January, 2023, 03:28:07 pm »
I have a couple of Topeak Road Masterblasters and we have about 5 HPX in service, ranging from HPX2 to HPX4.

The Topeak is a nice enough pump but the seal around the valve wears much faster than the HPX equivalent and the snazzy rubber covering the valve end of the pump can eventually split. Replacement parts are currently pretty easily available but not that rubber cover.

The shaft of a HPX can eventually rust if ignored for long enough and the plastic 'wings' that hold the bottom of the pump in your frame very occasionally can fall out. I prefer the HPX as it has never bent when an aggressive dog has required 'discouragement' and the pump seemingly lasts forever with only an occasional touch of grease. The Topeak's shaft is much thinner.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...