Author Topic: Inverness 1200  (Read 56317 times)

Re: Inverness 1200
« Reply #75 on: 23 November, 2018, 05:56:17 pm »
From Andy's text ( http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-586/ ):
"The south-bound route from Paisley back to Lytham is exactly the reverse of the northern route direction!"
I left off that last 324km as it complicates tweaking the outbound route as more detail on the recommended route emerges.
thats though Ride GPS shows 974 for some reason so that is more than manageable and still get some decent sleep
My draft route comes out at 917km (for the Inverness 1200, as far as Paisley). Don't know where "974" comes from.

« Reply #76 on: 23 November, 2018, 06:04:26 pm »
I am just going mad ha ha but that's great and looks like my plans are spot on ... Idea is to get to every night spot early as poss and start out early next day

« Reply #77 on: 24 November, 2018, 08:41:22 am »
Is there a fixed route or can you tweak it to make it your own?

« Reply #78 on: 24 November, 2018, 01:29:23 pm »
As long as you get to the controls you can do any route they you prefer

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #79 on: 24 November, 2018, 03:24:49 pm »
Up glen coe on a manky day
https://youtu.be/l29ZsBo6tvM?t=682

Didn't have the video camera with me this year, although I did have working gears

« Reply #80 on: 24 November, 2018, 05:17:32 pm »
thanks for that and the road surface looks a bit rough as well

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #81 on: 24 November, 2018, 06:29:55 pm »
thanks for that and the road surface looks a bit rough as well

Um... that's pretty smooth for Scotland...

We'll also have the "joy" that is cycling up Beattock on the B7076... I've looked at the alternative of going via the Dumfries and the Mennock pass and it's not a goer...

« Reply #82 on: 25 November, 2018, 12:35:40 am »
It's the Gretna to Glasgow section that's making me pause about entering, having ridden it out and back on the Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 600 in September. Mind you, I rode that on 23mm tyres ... and regretted it!

« Reply #83 on: 25 November, 2018, 12:38:06 am »
It's the Gretna to Glasgow section that's making me pause about entering, having ridden it out and back on the Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 600 in September. Mind you, I rode that on 23mm tyres ... and regretted it!

What is so bad about it as I use 23 ! Just poor surface ?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #84 on: 25 November, 2018, 12:44:37 am »
Careful choice of surface option helps, the cycle track section from Abington to lemahagow is definitley smoother than the road, as are a few sections lower down.

Given that the track in those sections is formed from the former northbound carriageway where the old A74 was dual carriageway I do wonder why the southbound and single carriageway sections have since had the tar eroded from the aggregate while the northbound hasn't. If only the council would sweep it once in a while as riding on 25 years of mulch is a bit dodgy.

I was on 28s which was fine on the way back down the hill though my stem bolts did loosen

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #85 on: 25 November, 2018, 12:48:19 am »

What is so bad about it as I use 23 ! Just poor surface ?
Top surface of tar has eroded leaving the aggregate exposed but still solidly embedded. Result being a rather hellish climb. On the plus side there's next to no reason for anyone to use the road so it's pretty quiet.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #86 on: 25 November, 2018, 11:27:35 am »
AIUI, parts of the current carriage way were the original hard-shoulder of the A74 which used a highly abrasive surface.   
@CorbieLinnRider

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #87 on: 25 November, 2018, 01:09:43 pm »
AIUI, parts of the current carriage way were the original hard-shoulder of the A74 which used a highly abrasive surface.

hm, the A74 from what I vaugley remember was a narrow dual carriageway and a wide single carriageway, also with hard shoulders on motorways being a radical idea in Scotland (see the M90) at the time I'd be surprised if there was hard shoulder at all on the dual carriageway sections. I do remember a rather large parking area at the summit and sitting in it for a bit to get a rest from the long queue crawling south, or probably so the parents could get a rest from me and my brother moaning by feeding us.

My recollection was that on the dualed sections one carriageway was converted to cycle track and then the edges filled in (or not as the case is near moffat where it's hidden in the trees and utterly useless despite being full width due to the amount of debris) .

However what I have read is that when it comes to the A74(M) the contractor was given the option by the then secretary of state for Scotland to build either a D2M with the ablity to be widened to D3M at their cost in future or to be built as D3M; the contractor suggested that it could be done by building the 3rd lane to Hard Shoulder standards due to the fact that heavy vehicles are banned from it. The result of that can be seen in the surface in places.

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A74
Does say some section had "1m hard strips"

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=B7076
Describes what each section is formed out of; so it's a mix of the pre-1960s upgrade, the 1960s upgrade and new sections. And it's all a mess!

« Reply #88 on: 25 November, 2018, 10:15:17 pm »
(OT) What an interesting web site SABRE is, just spent an hr or so looking the historical maps.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #89 on: 26 November, 2018, 12:07:36 pm »
(OT) What an interesting web site SABRE is,
I cannot believe it is more interesting than the last few posts on this thread!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #90 on: 26 November, 2018, 02:31:54 pm »
(OT) What an interesting web site SABRE is,
I cannot believe it is more interesting than the last few posts on this thread!

? eh, I didn't say it was, stop making up nonsense!

« Reply #91 on: 27 December, 2018, 07:33:21 pm »
Have entered this and am looking forward to it very much - not sure what to make of the A82 fear that seems to be going on - I do know the A470  was pretty bad on BCM this year but hasn't put me off doing it again.  I am looking forward to news of facilities (or not) at Fort William so I can put my planning head on. See you all there!

« Reply #92 on: 27 December, 2018, 07:35:15 pm »
Santa was good to me ! Handlebar bag came as did the top tube one so hot to learn how to pack tight !

« Reply #93 on: 28 December, 2018, 05:42:23 pm »
Have entered this and am looking forward to it very much - not sure what to make of the A82 fear that seems to be going on - I do know the A470  was pretty bad on BCM this year but hasn't put me off doing it again.  I am looking forward to news of facilities (or not) at Fort William so I can put my planning head on. See you all there!

Apologies Andy - This was meant to be a request for info about the proposed Inverness control - will it have sleeping facility at all?

Otherwise it might be a hole in the hedge!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #94 on: 28 December, 2018, 06:40:31 pm »
you can see bits of the A82 in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPmwv6fHv2c

« Reply #95 on: 04 January, 2019, 03:46:00 pm »
Entered. Can't seem to work up any enthusiasm for PBP this year and this looks like an interesting alternative. Some of the roads look as if they may be unpleasantly busy - I had a taste of this on the West Highland 1000 last year - but hopefully it should be possible to avoid the worst by careful timing. Now I just need to plan a suitable schedule.

« Reply #96 on: 04 January, 2019, 04:34:09 pm »
Plan a schedule? I know the “fail to plan and you plan to fail” saying, but I’ve never been that organised to have a schedule (rarely read the Routesheet beforehand). Having the Routesheet, gpx file on the etrex, relevant pages from an old road atlas and a ready to ride bike plus eqpt takes enough planning for me. If I end up on a road at a busy time, I’ll find a cafe to hide in (if I’ve enough time) or plod on.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #97 on: 04 January, 2019, 04:55:42 pm »
The place you don't want to be on the A82 is ahead of a substantial number of other riders. That's when drivers start to take risks. It's better to be the first bicycle they encounter than the 30th.

« Reply #98 on: 08 January, 2019, 10:38:26 pm »
The place you don't want to be on the A82 is ahead of a substantial number of other riders. That's when drivers start to take risks. It's better to be the first bicycle they encounter than the 30th.

Agreed. Last time I rode this was on the daylight audax. I hate this road for cycling.

« Reply #99 on: 09 January, 2019, 07:07:20 am »
The last Daylight was in 2007. Maybe traffic conditions have improved since then.