General Category > The Knowledge

Speed wobble

(1/3) > >>

finch:
Today I was coasting down a hill that I go down regularly , on the same bike I ride regularly and experienced a little bit of speed wobble which personally I found quite frightening.

There have been a couple of changes since my last ride down the hill which include - different tyres - 30c down to 28c and probably much more supple running at their max of 87psi - this could be a touch higher I’ll need to check

It was a bad day weather wise and I started getting a little touch of the dreaded Mavic howl at high speed coasting - it was happening when I got the speed wobble and the chain was hanging down inside the stay - obviously I was looking down and assessing this when it started - and I’m wondering about possible causes

The front wheel is true , the tyre is seated properly and the headset “feels” fine

Could it have been from the drag and chain suck and my weird position looking down at it ?

Perhaps tyres slightly too hard ?

Hot Flatus:
Must be an old Mavic wheel if it's howling.  Get a couple of 5mm Allen keys, remove the freehib, clean the inside then lubricate it will disc brake mineral oil, or wetlube.

finch:
I’ve got the correct mineral oil etc and know how to do it and I even have a spare fts-l Freehub but I’ve obviously let this one get a bit dry - just wondering whether that could be a contributor

Hot Flatus:
Doubt it. Have you checked headset?

finch:
Yeah , mind you I was doing maybe 30-35mph looking down at it and could have been slightly off balance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version