Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3008306 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23850 on: 15 February, 2019, 09:54:49 am »
Today will be the most expensive day of the winter for me.  By chance and coincidence all three form of fuel turned up today.
7.30 a.m.  1000 litres of oil delivered.  (I was in bed listening to it happening)
8.15 a.m.   Large propane gas bottle delivered and connected.  (I was still in bed)
9.15 a.m.   half a ton of kiln dried logs are delivered (Interrupting my breakfast)

Bloody hell.  That's cost me.   :o
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23851 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:02:08 am »
PET is also the Stuffs that high-speed bicycles used for windscreens before these new-fangled video camera gadgets.  It's cheap, it can be worked into shape using hot water and it doesn't shatter when you go end-over-end into the brush at R17.
if’n they made the whole fairing from it they wouldn’t need a separate window or new-fangled video camera gadgets that go dark at inopportune moments. I should patent the idea and get sponsorship from the fizzy drinks industry.

Sean Costin's "Boy In The Bubble" fairing was precisely this.  It may not be entirely coincidental that he was also the first person to run a camera bike.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23852 on: 15 February, 2019, 12:44:32 pm »
Well, searching for,pictures of that threw,up some dodgy images  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #23853 on: 15 February, 2019, 01:38:12 pm »
We don't have a "Measurements Which Make You Cringe" thread, so...

The 3in (2.5cm) explosive device...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47250724

I believe three inches is a little bit longer than two anarf centimetres  :facepalm:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #23854 on: 15 February, 2019, 01:45:43 pm »
Those will be Boy Inches, typically used in anatomical measurements.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #23855 on: 15 February, 2019, 03:08:18 pm »
These have been reported in Arithmetic that makes you cringe.

« Reply #23856 on: 15 February, 2019, 07:44:13 pm »
"Hello, Andrew. Carrier records say your Aspectek Large Size Rat Trap (HR1903) has arrived, but can you confirm? We're just trying to follow through and make sure it reached you and that you have it and are, hopefully, enjoying it as much if not more than expected."

How much is one supposed to enjoy a rat trap ?   Damn things haven't caught anything anyway.  (this is at the parents place , not mine)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23857 on: 15 February, 2019, 07:49:46 pm »
"I'm enjoying it immensely, especially since it caught the neighbour's yappy chihuahua, nosy old Mr Parker's walking stick and two inquisitive toddlers."

(Just how large is this large size rat trap?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23858 on: 16 February, 2019, 12:01:57 am »
I kept a ‘blog’ of the adventures of ratty mcrat face after he visited my desk one weekend and the subsequent failure of the RatMan to capture him. It’s avsilsble the newsgroup server in the .misc group for anyone who has access to the BT intranet.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23859 on: 18 February, 2019, 04:13:22 pm »
Quoted elseforum (non-cycling related forum):
I have to say that when I'm sitting in a queue of traffic and someone nips past me on a unicycle - which has happened more than once - I do feel very much like I'm living in the right place.
:thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23860 on: 18 February, 2019, 05:52:11 pm »
I have to say that when I'm sitting in a queue of traffic and someone nips past me on a unicycle - which has happened more than once - I do feel very much like I'm living in the right place.

Stokes Croft?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23861 on: 18 February, 2019, 06:17:32 pm »

Stokes Croft?
Not Stokes Croft (you're more likely to see skateboarders and the bloke selling grilled chicken from a homemade grill) but Bristol. The unicycle commuters I've seen have been on St Michael's Hill(!) (a teenager going to school) and Castle Park area. But whether the source of that quote has seen them in the same places, I don't know.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23862 on: 18 February, 2019, 07:04:04 pm »
I used regularly to see a unicycle commuter on Kingsland Road in Hackney, years before hipsters were A Thing.  He had a cool hat too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
There's no vibrations, but wait.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #23865 on: 25 February, 2019, 09:51:44 pm »
I kept a ‘blog’ of the adventures of ratty mcrat face after he visited my desk one weekend and the subsequent failure of the RatMan to capture him. It’s avsilsble the newsgroup server in the .misc group for anyone who has access to the BT intranet.
Obviously it's a good time to be a rat.  Some where I am too.
The facilities folks went around replacing anything that might possibly be edible with a snotty note saying come and get it from <location>. This included my liquorice tea bags.
Liquorice is poisonous to rats, thobut.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23867 on: 26 February, 2019, 09:03:10 am »
Obviously it's a good time to be a rat.  Some where I am too.
The facilities folks went around replacing anything that might possibly be edible with a snotty note saying come and get it from <location>. This included my liquorice tea bags.
Liquorice is poisonous to rats, thobut.
It is a good time to be a rat, and it's linked to the numbers of humans.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #23868 on: 27 February, 2019, 08:45:57 pm »
Shake, rattle and roll.

My bed at around half three this morning. Initially graded 3.7 on the Richter scale.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #23869 on: 27 February, 2019, 08:52:42 pm »
Shake, rattle and roll.

My bed at around half three this morning. Initially graded 3.7 on the Richter scale.
Lucky that you don't live close to an airport or anyfink.....

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #23870 on: 28 February, 2019, 08:48:22 am »
Shake, rattle and roll.

3.7! - surely this should be in the Middle-aged thread.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23871 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:13:37 am »
I'm surprised you felt it, unless you are a very light sleeper
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23872 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:19:25 am »
SPAM - an "e-mail" from USPS suggesting they are having difficulty with a delivery - No shit Sherlock  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Started my current job in October. The orange light on my desk phone was flashing from day one. Soon worked out it meant I had new messages. Tried to access the messages but couldn't due to not having a PIN. A quick call to IT sorted that out.

Turned out that there were loads of messages, some of them over a year old.

This means my predecessor, who had been in the job less than a year before going on maternity leave, had never checked her messages. And the name on the caller display is still that of her predecessor - unfortunately, I can't change that myself, needs admin privileges.

Lately, the phone on the (currently) spare desk next to me has started flashing as well, and it's very irritating, so I need to get the PIN for that. Looking around at my colleagues' desks, four on our bank of six have flashing orange lights. One of my colleagues has even resorted to taping over the light so make the problem go away.  :facepalm:

People are weird.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Sometimes employers do idiotic things like publish an extension number for the deaf person in the internal database.  That sort of thing never goes away, even if the phone itself is wrapped up in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet somewhere.