Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 283689 times)

Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #150 on: 26 May, 2011, 03:26:30 pm »
All this is nearly as fascinating as the racing.

With all the accusations about UCI accepting money to conceal failed tests into the bargain, I'd say it's seismic for the sport.

Will we see a breakaway movement?

The papers may actually pick this up alongside the FA allegation of FIFA corruption as well. 

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #151 on: 26 May, 2011, 04:30:02 pm »
I hope you are right RP. If the UCI gets done at the same time, it will good for the sport.

Just seen Contador's case might be after the TdF. He could win both tours and then be disqualified, the whole sport is a farce at times. But I still watch it.

« Reply #152 on: 26 May, 2011, 05:44:25 pm »
It's a great sport, but the politics are fascinating too.

Its all about money, though. The Swiss gov are embarrassed by the various sports bodies registered in Switzerland that are being exposed. Be interesting to see if this issue and the flexing of muscles between teams and the UCI gets things going

« Reply #153 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:10:48 am »
it's getting increasingly farcical:

Prudhomme Surprised By Delay In Contador Hearing | Cyclingnews.com

It will be interesting to see how the french fans react to him if he rides the TdF.  I suspect dangling meat from a fishing rod might be the thin end of the wedge.

« Reply #154 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:22:37 am »
Yes, they won't mince their words with the credibility of their race at stake.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #155 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:32:45 am »
It's rare for them to give somebody a grilling though, but well done to them if they do.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #156 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:34:29 am »

Its all about money, though. The Swiss gov are embarrassed by the various sports bodies registered in Switzerland that are being exposed. Be interesting to see if this issue and the flexing of muscles between teams and the UCI gets things going
UCI, FIFA, and all those banks. There's a reason they're all in the same place.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #157 on: 27 May, 2011, 11:09:31 am »
Looks like there was a meeting to discuss "suspect" samples, but it doesn't tally with Tyler Hamilton's account.

Swiss lab director confirms meeting Bruyneel and Armstrong over "suspect" samples - cyclingnews.com

« Reply #158 on: 27 May, 2011, 11:22:45 am »

UCI, FIFA, and all those banks. There's a reason they're all in the same place.

And let's not forget the IOC.
Rust never sleeps

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #160 on: 13 June, 2011, 05:49:26 pm »

« Reply #161 on: 13 June, 2011, 05:55:28 pm »
Restaurant owner is a friend of Armstrongs...

...wonder how he got to hear that Hamilton was eating there  ;)

Jakob

« Reply #162 on: 13 June, 2011, 06:11:25 pm »
Hamilton Not Welcome at Aspen Restaurant After Armstrong Argument | Daily Lance | Bicycling.com

Bit bizarre. You can finish your meal but don't come back!? Pity no-one caught it on their mobile phone.

Hmm? Would the other way have been better (Get out now, but please come back)?

« Reply #163 on: 13 June, 2011, 06:19:47 pm »
Restaurant owner is a friend of Armstrongs...

...wonder how he got to hear that Hamilton was eating there  ;)

On the other hand, what better for the press to ensure Hamilton goes to an Aspen restaurant with the owner being a friend of LA?  I expect LA's solicitor has advised him to have no contact etc to avoid any more publicity.

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #164 on: 13 June, 2011, 06:46:23 pm »
Hamilton Not Welcome at Aspen Restaurant After Armstrong Argument | Daily Lance | Bicycling.com

Bit bizarre. You can finish your meal but don't come back!? Pity no-one caught it on their mobile phone.

Hmm? Would the other way have been better (Get out now, but please come back)?

Wasn't it obvious who it was beforehand, he was running some cycling clinic/event in Aspen. Anyway it matters not, what is Lance doing confronting him? Or even going near him. Makes a nice story tho.

« Reply #165 on: 15 June, 2011, 11:55:12 am »

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #166 on: 15 June, 2011, 11:59:39 am »
The FBI! What in tarnation have they got to do with it!!? Did they step across State lines when having the argument? Kidnap somebody? Grand theft auto, again, across State borders?

I dunno.  ::-) The world has gone mad hasn't it?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #167 on: 15 June, 2011, 01:14:49 pm »
Possible intimidation of a witness involved in a federal investigation, the possible charges of which could be "conspiracy, wire fraud, money laundering, racketeering, drug trafficking and defrauding the U.S. government".

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #168 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:25:43 am »
Well, I suppose it keeps them busy doing something.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jakob

« Reply #169 on: 16 June, 2011, 06:28:41 pm »
According to the Danish newspapers, none of the witnesses collaborates Hamilton's story and Hamilton came over to talk to Armstrong (Who was sitting at the bar).

« Reply #170 on: 16 July, 2011, 07:42:29 am »
Landis interview for anyone interested

Floyd Landis Full Episode - Yahoo! Sports

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #171 on: 13 June, 2012, 10:05:19 pm »
The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency brought formal doping charges against former cyclist Lance Armstrong - Washington Post

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency brought formal doping charges against former cyclist Lance Armstrong in an action that could cost him his seven Tour de France titles, according to a letter sent to Armstrong and several others Tuesday.

As a result of the charges, Armstrong has been immediately banned from competition in triathlons, a sport he took up after his retirement from cycling in 2011.

In the 15-page charging letter obtained by The Post, USADA made previously unpublicized allegations against Armstrong, alleging it collected blood samples from Armstrong in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Armstrong has never tested positive.

The evidence seems a bit flimsy to me, I don't know how they think it'll stick this time.

« Reply #172 on: 13 June, 2012, 10:21:31 pm »
What's interesting is who else USADA are fingering in the letter - Bruyneel, Ferrari, a current Team RadioSchleck doctor and someone was (and still is) Contador's coach.

As I posted in the other Lance thread, this could make for lively racing forum viewing.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #173 on: 13 June, 2012, 11:10:58 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #174 on: 13 June, 2012, 11:33:59 pm »
"Multiple riders with first hand knowledge will testify that between 1998 and 2005 Armstrong personally used EPO and on multiple occasions distributed EPO to other riders."

Presumably this is Landis, Hamilton et al, so I'm wondering why this will succeed this time... but if it does, surely the criminal investigation will be re-opened? Interesting times ahead, for sure.