Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 284335 times)

LEE

Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #175 on: 13 June, 2012, 11:53:51 pm »
Doping tests alone should be used to catch doping cheats, not testimony of people with an axe to grind.

Using testimony still leaves a door open for a "I never tested positive" retort.

Maybe, as mentioned above, it's in the interest of these bodies to keep this case open forever, it keeps them in funding presumably and gives them a high profile.

« Reply #176 on: 14 June, 2012, 11:54:29 am »
Doping tests alone should be used to catch doping cheats, not testimony of people with an axe to grind.

Using testimony still leaves a door open for a "I never tested positive" retort.

Maybe, as mentioned above, it's in the interest of these bodies to keep this case open forever, it keeps them in funding presumably and gives them a high profile.

The tests don't work, that is the whole point. And even when they do, they don't, like the magical TUE for saddle sore 'cream' and the 20 minute 'shower', if you know what I mean.

simonp

« Reply #177 on: 14 June, 2012, 01:08:23 pm »
How many tests did Millar fail?

« Reply #178 on: 14 June, 2012, 01:38:34 pm »
We're stuck with Lance until another English-speaking rider wins seven Tours in a row.

« Reply #179 on: 14 June, 2012, 01:50:28 pm »
How many tests did Millar fail?

Got me thinking about why he didn't. Of course his (admitted) doping was in "preparation" for races rather than during competitive races, but it's a bit surprising that the random out-of-competition checks didn't catch him out. But then they never got a positive from Lance either, despite apparently regular random testing. Maybe Millar wasn't tested that often?

So perhaps the question should be how did Millar (and many others no  doubt) get away with it?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #180 on: 14 June, 2012, 04:12:38 pm »
I think Millar's book explains in full how they got (and currently get) away with it.

simonp

« Reply #181 on: 14 June, 2012, 04:24:24 pm »
I think Millar's book explains in full how they got (and currently get) away with it.

2009 Interview with Michael Ashenden on Armstrong's 1999 B samples testing positive for EPO:

http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2009/michael-ashenden

A lot of detail about the process and the positives (and the fact that the EPO level varied suggesting top-up doses during the tour).

He also had a more recent interview about Contador which basically says Contador *was* blood doping during the 2010 tour.

This one is quite long, I got about 1/3 way through before deciding I haven't time to read all of this just now, but it's compelling reading just like the Contador one. The half-life of EPO is so short and the effect so long-lived that you don't need to dope during the Tour though, so dosing 4 days before the tour gives a significant benefit and the risk of a random test catching you out is small. This is probably how they got away with it. In 1999 there was zero risk because there was no test, but retrospective analysis of the samples with the test for synthetic EPO changes that.

Jakob

« Reply #182 on: 14 June, 2012, 07:08:14 pm »
Part of me can't help thinking that this is a desperate attempt by the USADA to redeem itself after the  Barry Bonds/Roger Clemens affairs. If they fail again, then I'm sorry to say that the organisation needs to be tossed out an re-built.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #183 on: 14 June, 2012, 07:18:04 pm »
The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency brought formal doping charges against former cyclist Lance Armstrong - Washington Post

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency brought formal doping charges against former cyclist Lance Armstrong in an action that could cost him his seven Tour de France titles, according to a letter sent to Armstrong and several others Tuesday.

As a result of the charges, Armstrong has been immediately banned from competition in triathlons, a sport he took up after his retirement from cycling in 2011.

In the 15-page charging letter obtained by The Post, USADA made previously unpublicized allegations against Armstrong, alleging it collected blood samples from Armstrong in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Armstrong has never tested positive.

The evidence seems a bit flimsy to me, I don't know how they think it'll stick this time.

The vidence isn't flimsy at all.  The USADA just doesn't have to make full disclosure at this time and the letter clearly states that it is outling a portion of the evidence.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #184 on: 14 June, 2012, 09:42:47 pm »
Shamelessly nicked from elsewhere - an amateur triathlete doesn't take the news too well...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ia6dV_G5UxE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ia6dV_G5UxE&rel=1</a>

Downfall - the meme that keeps on giving.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #185 on: 14 June, 2012, 10:27:14 pm »
If they'd inserted, 'or have dealt with cancer' at about 50 seconds it would have worked even better, but the subtitles were already a bit crowded.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #186 on: 16 June, 2012, 11:39:32 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #187 on: 30 June, 2012, 06:41:33 am »
He's been charged now.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #188 on: 05 July, 2012, 07:42:31 am »

Wow.  Names of cyclists who will testify against Armstrong published. Cyclingnews story.

Four former teammates of Lance Armstrong will receive six month bans after they confessed to doping and testified against the seven-time Tour de France winner, according to De Telegraaf.

George Hincapie, Levi Leipheimer, Christian Vande Velde and David Zabriskie are said to have given evidence in the USADA investigation which has charged Armstrong with doping. All four riders are currently taking part in the Tour de France, but in recent weeks, USA Cycling revealed they opted not to be considered for the Olympic Games.
+Vaughters.
Ban to start after the Vuelta.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #189 on: 05 July, 2012, 08:01:22 am »
Oh my goodness, that's a lot of big names who know what they're talking about preparedto testify at great personal cost.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Bye Lance
« Reply #190 on: 05 July, 2012, 08:12:43 am »
I think it's more that they have nothing to gain than anything to lose that makes them credible witnesses. The culture has changed - there's probably still doping but there's no omertà. It's hardly the principled stand of a Bassons or a Simeoni.

And who knows, maybe the USADA has information about these riders that it's using to blackmail them...

(Not that you'd imagine they could have anything on Zabriskie.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #191 on: 05 July, 2012, 08:42:56 am »
The only thing they have to gain is a reduced ban starting at a time of year which will minimize the impact of that ban.  What they have to lose is reputation, I guess, in the eyes of the American public.  And no doubt they'll be receiving the vitriol of the American Lance fans.  Why aren't these riders considering the poor cancer sufferers?

« Reply #192 on: 05 July, 2012, 08:53:45 am »
It looks like the bubble might burst then.  I'm sure the ASO will delight in stripping him of his yellow jerseys when the time comes..

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #193 on: 05 July, 2012, 09:20:27 am »
If he cheated then it is right that people stand up with evidence against him. To not do so is as bad as cheating itself.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #194 on: 05 July, 2012, 11:07:22 am »
The only thing they have to gain is a reduced ban starting at a time of year which will minimize the impact of that ban.  What they have to lose is reputation, I guess, in the eyes of the American public.

Surely no one believes Vaughters or Zabriskie have ever doped? The others maybe, but not those two. Ergo, they have absolutely nothing to gain from fingering Lance.

Edit: Well, I've just read that they've both confessed, so if that's true... fuck knows. I'm speechless.

Zabriskie? FFS.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #195 on: 05 July, 2012, 11:16:13 am »
The only thing they have to gain is a reduced ban starting at a time of year which will minimize the impact of that ban.  What they have to lose is reputation, I guess, in the eyes of the American public.

Surely no one believes Vaughters or Zabriskie have ever doped? The others maybe, but not those two. Ergo, they have absolutely nothing to gain from fingering Lance.

Edit: Well, I've just read that they've both confessed, so if that's true... fuck knows. I'm speechless.

Zabriskie? FFS.

d.

And he's a vegan FFS. I'd've though his Body Was A Temple, if you know what I mean.
The journey is always more important than the destination

simonp

« Reply #196 on: 05 July, 2012, 11:19:23 am »

Zabriskie? FFS.

d.

And he's a vegan FFS. I'd've though his Body Was A Temple, if you know what I mean.

Don't know many vegans, then?

They're all at it, aren't they.

« Reply #197 on: 05 July, 2012, 11:20:47 am »

Zabriskie? FFS.

d.

Don't know many vegans, then?

They're all at it, aren't they.

Well, they don't eat anything, according to Uncle Phil, so they have to get their energy from somewhere  ;D
The journey is always more important than the destination

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #198 on: 05 July, 2012, 11:24:34 am »

Zabriskie? FFS.

d.

Vaughters denies it, it seems the Dutch press have shot their mouths off.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #199 on: 05 July, 2012, 11:25:05 am »
Conversation recalled from about 20 years ago:
A offering B some whisky: Do you drink?
C interjecting before B can answer: Does he drink? He's vegetarian, he drinks like a fish!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.