Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 283823 times)

Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #725 on: 14 October, 2012, 08:48:34 pm »
People might start bring out their old USPS kit and wearing it on club runs in an ironic way.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #726 on: 14 October, 2012, 08:59:40 pm »
Ah, salbutamol, salbutamol.  You'd be amazed at the number of blue puffers you see at a triathlon transition.   :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #727 on: 14 October, 2012, 09:29:42 pm »
Lots of asthmatics have been advised to swim by their doctors...
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #728 on: 14 October, 2012, 09:35:32 pm »
Somebody was just saying to me last week that the inhaler abuse was rife in the local youngsters racing club down the track, they certainly seem a lot more common than when I was a kid.

« Reply #729 on: 14 October, 2012, 09:47:55 pm »
Steve Redgrave's a celebrity asthmatic of course. British rowing was reinvigorated by the former East German coach Jürgen Gröbler.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #730 on: 14 October, 2012, 10:01:14 pm »
Somebody was just saying to me last week that the inhaler abuse was rife in the local youngsters racing club down the track, they certainly seem a lot more common than when I was a kid.

Asthma is a lot more common than 20 years ago.  IIRC, it's almost doubled in the last 20 years in the UK, particularly in urban areas.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #731 on: 14 October, 2012, 10:06:55 pm »
The secret to avoiding your kids developing it is apparently to have two cats in the household.  One will not suffice.  Cats are amazing sources of allergens.  Worked for our daughters, and we have a family history of asthma.  FWIW my asthma disappeared at the age of 37, when we got a third cat.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #732 on: 14 October, 2012, 10:12:36 pm »
I had an inkling that it was more common, but the conversation implied that GPs have become a lot more lax about prescribing them. I'd expect the kind of sporty, active kids that go bike racing every week would be on the healthier end of the spectrum, so I wonder how many of the overweight/Playstation types are on them.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #733 on: 15 October, 2012, 07:57:40 am »
Ah, salbutamol, salbutamol.  You'd be amazed at the number of blue puffers you see at a triathlon transition.   :demon:

Having felt not quite right on the bike for a while, I saw the asthma nurse  recently, did the max blow test, and was offered salbutamol. The benfits (certainly when on the bike) are not minor.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #734 on: 15 October, 2012, 08:25:10 am »
The secret to avoiding your kids developing it is apparently to have two cats in the household.  One will not suffice.  Cats are amazing sources of allergens.  Worked for our daughters, and we have a family history of asthma.  FWIW my asthma disappeared at the age of 37, when we got a third cat.
That's assuming your asthmatic reactions to the allergens you are exposed to while living with these horrible beasts are not so severe as to endanger your life as you gradually desensitize your system.  Believe me, this is not a solution for everyone.  (I speak from personal experience).

« Reply #735 on: 15 October, 2012, 09:39:49 am »
People might start bring out their old USPS kit and wearing it on club runs in an ironic way.

What about all those Livestrong bands. Can you wear one in an ironic way?

"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

« Reply #736 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:28:42 am »
Yep, but it has to be halfway up your upper arm ;)

« Reply #737 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:34:26 am »
Steve Redgrave's a celebrity asthmatic of course. British rowing was reinvigorated by the former East German coach Jürgen Gröbler.

Are you sure, ESL?  I know he is dyslexic and diabetic, as well as incredible.

« Reply #738 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:41:29 am »

Is it possible to wear trade kit other than ironically?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #739 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:45:49 am »

Yes

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #740 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:48:42 am »

Are you sure, ESL?  I know he is dyslexic and diabetic, as well as incredible.

It's a very comon condition in endurance athletes Wiggo is another.
http://www.londonbridgehospital.com/LBH/industry-news-det/Wiggins-inspires-asthma-sufferers/

« Reply #741 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:49:55 am »

Yes

(click to show/hide)

Okay. You win.

« Reply #742 on: 15 October, 2012, 10:51:46 am »
Tonight (Monday) 7 p.m. on BBC radio 5, a programme about LA and the doping regime.

« Reply #743 on: 15 October, 2012, 11:17:07 am »
You'd seem to be able to use an asthma inhaler without troubling WADA according to the UCI.
. IF YOU NEED TO USE BETA-2 AGONISTS FOR ASTHMA

Submitting a TUE for the use of the use of Beta-2 Agonists for Asthma depends on the “drug” which is used to treat your asthma. Please pay attention to the substance which is included in your inhaler!

2a. Beta-2 agonists for asthma (Salmeterol/Salbutamol/Formoterol): you do not need to submit any TUE if you take inhaled Salbutamol and/or Salmeterol (up to a daily dose of 1600 μg) and/or Formoterol (up to a daily dose of 36 μg).

2b. Terbutaline:

If you take Terbutaline for the treatment of asthma, you must submit a TUE for Asthma and a full medical file to confirm the diagnosis of asthma and/or it’s clinical variants. The medical file should include:

A detailed medical history and clinical review 
Lung function test with spirometry 
Bronchodilator response 
Bronchial provocation tests
To assist your doctor in completing the correct tests, and providing the correct medical information, we suggest that he or she consults the WADA Guidelines on Asthma clicking here.

If the TUE for Asthma is completed correctly with valid test results, the UCI TUE Committee may grant an approval for up to 4 years.

http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI2/layout.asp?MenuId=MTU2ODY&LangId=1

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #744 on: 15 October, 2012, 01:08:54 pm »
Tonight (Monday) 7 p.m. on BBC radio 5, a programme about LA and the doping regime.

There appears to be an interview with Emma O'Reilly in this.

« Reply #745 on: 15 October, 2012, 01:21:10 pm »
Asthma inhalers are now avalable over-the-counter at ASDA, at £7 for 2, a considerable saving on the NHS prescription price. http://your.asda.com/news-and-blogs/asthma-sufferers-can-now-buy-their-inhalers-from-asda
They'll also do you a flu-jab for £7, removing the hassle of the GP interface.
http://your.asda.com/news-and-blogs/it-s-quick-and-easy-to-get-your-flu-jab-at-asda-pharmacy

« Reply #746 on: 15 October, 2012, 01:29:17 pm »
Asthma inhalers are now avaialable over-the-counter at ASDA, at £7 for 2, a considerable saving on the NHS prescription price. http://your.asda.com/news-and-blogs/asthma-sufferers-can-now-buy-their-inhalers-from-asda
They'll also do you a flu-jab for £7, removing the hassle of the GP interface.
http://your.asda.com/news-and-blogs/it-s-quick-and-easy-to-get-your-flu-jab-at-asda-pharmacy

And others are offering too, though not at £7.  Boots, Tesco, Sainsbury, Lloyds etc are all doing flu jabs.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #747 on: 15 October, 2012, 03:56:51 pm »
A 45-minute documentary which has just been broadcast on ABC (the Australian ABC). Nothing new factually, but does include interviews with Mrs Andreu and Tyler H, as well as footage of depositions (including LA's denials) from the 2005 SCA case.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/10/11/3608613.htm
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Andrew

« Reply #749 on: 15 October, 2012, 04:38:28 pm »
Nothing new factually, but does include interviews with Mrs Andreu and Tyler H, as well as footage of depositions (including LA's denials) from the 2005 SCA case.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/10/11/3608613.htm

I personally hadn't heard of Verbrugan's remark, as conveyed by Dick Pound...

It's the spectators fault, they don't want to see riders doing 25Kph, they want to see them doing 41. So, the riders must prepare

:o :o :o

...otherwise, no, nothing new to me. BUT it was something else again to hear and see the people say the things I'd only previously read. 

For those that are less familiar with it all, or the average person who might only know the name Armstrong as a TdF winning cancer survivor, I think it'd be a devastating program.