Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 283797 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #775 on: 17 October, 2012, 09:24:31 am »
An interesting interview with Taylor Phinney over on Velonation, which can be summarised as - never mind EPO and blood bags, stop popping the painkillers and caffeine pills, guys!

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13076/Taylor-Phinney-Interview-Getting-the-pill-culture-out-of-the-sport.aspx

Good job audax isn't under WADA rules then...
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #776 on: 17 October, 2012, 09:28:07 am »
I think I am fairly uncontroversially able to predict that one group that will be undoubted winners in all of this will be the lawyers.

Just think of all those libel awards that need undoing.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #777 on: 17 October, 2012, 09:30:42 am »
An interesting interview with Taylor Phinney over on Velonation, which can be summarised as - never mind EPO and blood bags, stop popping the painkillers and caffeine pills, guys!

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13076/Taylor-Phinney-Interview-Getting-the-pill-culture-out-of-the-sport.aspx

Tests at the final control for tea and cake...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #778 on: 17 October, 2012, 09:43:08 am »

Isn't it?

From the PBP regulations:
Article 16 : Medical Test

Amedical testmay be requested by the French Ministry of Health and Sport, which will bear the costs. Refusal to undergo this control or a positive test outcome will result in disqualification.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #779 on: 17 October, 2012, 09:46:55 am »

Thanks for that link Spesh, it'll strike a chord with PBP veterans. I've gone to Brest and back four times, and I've used a lot of Ibuleve, Ibuprofen and Caffeine Gum in three of those journeys. Last time I didn't go beyond espressos and Coke, but I did have a soigneur at every controle, and the back of a car to lie down in. I was filming so I needed the battery back-up, and I paid back some of the time I saved with roadside shots.
I can't honestly say that I did any of the 1200+ rides unaided, there's so much in the background making it easier.
I can think of some 400 and 600 Permanents that I did on my own which had a certain purity to them, and which I can draw on the memory of to sustain me, but Perms can be ridden in good weather.
So much is down to aesthetics. I still remember the Landis lone break, he was on performance enhancing drugs, and I enjoyed the performance. It's a shame that Floyd can't look back at it with unmixed pride, but it was a good show at the time.
Taylor's point is an interesting one, who is the show for, the fans or the riders. With Wiggins we've moved into cycling that has conscious elements of Rock Star culture, a world where drugs inform performance, but Brad is living clean.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #780 on: 17 October, 2012, 10:29:37 am »
I've been reading The Clinic (doping discussion forum) on Cycling News a bit recently, lots of interesting stuff there that isn't covered in any other news source, such as Sean Yates's well-documented but little-reported friendship with the infamous Motoman. Anyway, amongst a discussion an LA's threats to rider's wives (such as Mrs Leipheimer), it was mentioned that LA once slept with Tyler Hamilton's ex-wife, the implication being that he did it at least partly to humiliate and exact some perverse revenge on his ex-teammate. I couldn't find any references to this, is it true?

« Reply #781 on: 17 October, 2012, 10:32:59 am »
Blimey!  Is this the same Lance Armstrong who was buried facing the sea at Scarborough, then, or have I got that mixed up?

« Reply #782 on: 17 October, 2012, 10:42:42 am »
I've been reading The Clinic (doping discussion forum) on Cycling News a bit recently, lots of interesting stuff there that isn't covered in any other news source, such as Sean Yates's well-documented but little-reported friendship with the infamous Motoman. Anyway, amongst a discussion an LA's threats to rider's wives (such as Mrs Leipheimer), it was mentioned that LA once slept with Tyler Hamilton's ex-wife, the implication being that he did it at least partly to humiliate and exact some perverse revenge on his ex-teammate. I couldn't find any references to this, is it true?

Are you sure you haven't mixed up US Postal with the documentary about the tangled lives of Fleetwood Mac that was on BBC4 the other week?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YvuaNjrzZvw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YvuaNjrzZvw&rel=1</a>

« Reply #783 on: 17 October, 2012, 10:52:20 am »
...I needed the battery back-up...

Now that is really cheating.

« Reply #784 on: 17 October, 2012, 11:14:11 am »
...I needed the battery back-up...

Now that is really cheating.

No, I'm Spartacus.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/johnmacleary/100008958/fabian-cancellaras-engine-questioned-in-claim-that-swiss-motored-to-classics-wins/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hFbCS4a14J4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/hFbCS4a14J4&rel=1</a>

simonp

« Reply #785 on: 17 October, 2012, 11:20:02 am »
I never take oral painkillers, or caffeine tablets. I don't even carry them with me. I have used Ibuprofen gel, as I have a knee problem which sometimes flares up. I can't recall using it on PBP 2011, though.

I take Omeprazole for a stomach problem. Sometimes, Audax causes this problem to flare up. Doctor's advice was to double the dose when audaxing. Not having heartburn does enhance my performance.

Toady

« Reply #786 on: 17 October, 2012, 11:48:18 am »
Have I wandered into the audaxers' Truth and Reconciliation Commission?

« Reply #787 on: 17 October, 2012, 12:05:52 pm »
Have I wandered into the audaxers' Truth and Reconciliation Commission?

I remember seeing lots of Livestrong bracelets on Audax rides. So there were plenty of folk who gained strength from the idea of Lance, so in a sense you are right.
My talisman is a GAN bottle I got off Eros Poli's bike when I helped a mechanic put it on a team car at the end of a stage of the Tour of Britain in Blackpool in 1998. I touch that bottle and I think of scenes like this, which for a big rouleur are more inspiring than any showy climbing.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #788 on: 17 October, 2012, 12:31:06 pm »
Poli is my cycling hero for ruining the climbers' day on Mt Ventoux.  He only did it because he was annoyed at being caught the previous day when he also went for a lone break.  When Cipo has packed and gone back to the beach, you can do these things as team orders no longer apply.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #789 on: 17 October, 2012, 12:38:11 pm »
I never take oral painkillers, or caffeine tablets. I don't even carry them with me. I have used Ibuprofen gel, as I have a knee problem which sometimes flares up. I can't recall using it on PBP 2011, though.

I take Omeprazole for a stomach problem. Sometimes, Audax causes this problem to flare up. Doctor's advice was to double the dose when audaxing. Not having heartburn does enhance my performance.

I've never used caffeine tablets, nor gone for the abstinence/binge coffee procedure. I have occasionally taken painkillers, but only for specific problems (meaning when someone sensible would have stopped - eg. achilles inflammation or a severely twisted ankle).

« Reply #790 on: 17 October, 2012, 01:06:12 pm »
I was trying to confirm that it was 1998 when I picked up Poli's bike. It's a GAN bottle so that dates it . I found a linked article about Boardman at the same time.
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/25/sports/25iht-bike.t_0.html?pagewanted=1
He was going through a bad patch of form at the time. It was eventually diagnosed as low testosterone, which was causing osteoporis as well. He applied for a therapeutic exemption from the UCI and was denied, he retired so as not to compromise his health. I remember that there were asides about Armstong's status at the time. I think I've already linked to an article about Chris's osteporosis upthread, but it is interesting, and shows that Boardman played by the book. I know the general attitude to the Daily Mail on here, but articles like this are well written and accessible.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/diets/article-1227777/CHRIS-BOARDMAN-I-cycling-32-I-bones-old-woman.html

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #791 on: 17 October, 2012, 01:10:14 pm »
most of us used performance enhancing substances - isotonic drinks, caffeinated/taurine-ated drinks and gels, painkillers.. "we're all in it together"?

« Reply #792 on: 17 October, 2012, 01:19:09 pm »
most of us used performance enhancing substances - isotonic drinks, caffeinated/taurine-ated drinks and gels, painkillers.. "we're all in it together"?

It depends if you set store by 'winning' an Audax. There are people out there who cheat to get a PBP finishers medal. There's no prize money, and I'm not aware of a PBP betting market, so there's only unearned kudos to worry about.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #793 on: 17 October, 2012, 01:26:47 pm »
News breaking that he has stepped down from the LAF.

Finally it starts to be sinking in - he is a bit on the nose.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #794 on: 17 October, 2012, 01:29:40 pm »
Is that so he can clear space in his diary to take over as president of the UCI?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #795 on: 17 October, 2012, 01:38:32 pm »
Is that so he can clear space in his diary to take over as president of the UCI?

It's more to reduce contamination to Livestrong, which as Justin(e) says, implies a growing realisation on Armstrong's part that the whole sordid mess is not going to go away any time soon:

Armstrong, who was not paid a salary as chairman of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, will remain on its 15-member board. His duties leading the board will be turned over to vice chairman Jeff Garvey, who was founding chairman in 1997.

"This organization, its mission and its supporters are incredibly dear to my heart," Armstrong said in a statement obtained by The Associated Press. "Today therefore, to spare the foundation any negative effects as a result of controversy surrounding my cycling career, I will conclude my chairmanship."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CYC_ARMSTRONG_LIVESTRONG_FUTURE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-17-08-15-16

Back in the day, there was talk of Armstrong running for high office - Texas state governor, or even POTUS, but if the perjury allegations stick, that probably goes out the window. Mind you, some would say that the way LA could turn on the charm, or be a lying  sonofabitch, makes him ideal politician material.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #797 on: 17 October, 2012, 01:51:20 pm »

It's more to reduce contamination to Livestrong, which as Justin(e) says, implies a growing realisation on Armstrong's part that the whole sordid mess is not going to go away any time soon:

Armstrong, who was not paid a salary as chairman of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, will remain on its 15-member board. His duties leading the board will be turned over to vice chairman Jeff Garvey, who was founding chairman in 1997.

"This organization, its mission and its supporters are incredibly dear to my heart," Armstrong said in a statement obtained by The Associated Press. "Today therefore, to spare the foundation any negative effects as a result of controversy surrounding my cycling career, I will conclude my chairmanship."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CYC_ARMSTRONG_LIVESTRONG_FUTURE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-17-08-15-16

Back in the day, there was talk of Armstrong running for high office - Texas state governor, or even POTUS, but if the perjury allegations stick, that probably goes out the window. Mind you, some would say that the way LA could turn on the charm, or be a lying  sonofabitch, makes him ideal politician material.  :demon:
The presidency of the IOC is up next year...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #798 on: 17 October, 2012, 01:54:50 pm »
This just in...

Lance-Armstrong-dropped-by-sponsors-Nike-following-insurmountable-evidence-in-USADA-report-that-he-doped.html

This is weird - all of a sudden I am feeling sorry for the guy.  He remains a remarkable person, surviving cancer and then duping the world into thinking that he was one of history's greatest athletes. 

He is one heck of a tall poppy.

« Reply #799 on: 17 October, 2012, 02:00:22 pm »
Justin(e), I have the same sentiments.  Once I've got over the quick shot of schadenfreude, I don't like to see anybody's discomfort.  But without justice it is the wrong people who suffer all the time and there's not even schadenfreude to console us.

I don't wish him any harm, I just want it dealt with.  This poppy was too tall, it seems.  He's still achieved more for cancer-sufferers than I ever will but that doesn't make him right, of course.