Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 284702 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #900 on: 19 October, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »
Bill Nickson?

Yes. I've never talked to him about the doping culture, it's not what you do. Whether he'd talk about it now I don't know. He only had a couple of years on the continent, and then raced in the UK and Australia. He has mentioned that he didn't like Belgium.
He has helped me out with some of the more interesting jobs I do, he's a useful contact as he knows young racers who might want the odd day's work, which can be handy.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lXgT7I2pv_4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/lXgT7I2pv_4&rel=1</a>

IIRC the stories in 'Cycling Weekly' reported that he didn't get on with Peter Post, who made his time in the Raleigh team very difficult. Maybe he wouldn't sign up to the teams medical programme

Milk Race 1976 by windy_, on Flickr

« Reply #901 on: 19 October, 2012, 04:16:05 pm »

« Reply #902 on: 19 October, 2012, 04:34:50 pm »

IIRC the stories in 'Cycling Weekly' reported that he didn't get on with Peter Post, who made his time in the Raleigh team very difficult. Maybe he wouldn't sign up to the teams medical programme

Isn't that Marty Feldman in the lead there?

« Reply #903 on: 19 October, 2012, 04:36:07 pm »

I was just round my Dad's, the story was that Post didn't rate British riders. Opinion on the net seems to vary. Ti Raleigh were a British sponsored team so a clearout of Brits was bound to sit badly with Raleigh. Post was the man who brought a more professional attitude to management apparently.
http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2011/1/17/peter-post-1933-2011.html

« Reply #904 on: 19 October, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »

It's always surprising to see how low people sat then.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #905 on: 19 October, 2012, 05:04:18 pm »

I thought it was Jimmy Savile gloves off and ready

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #906 on: 19 October, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »
SORRY - that's not FUNNY :hand:

« Reply #907 on: 19 October, 2012, 05:18:21 pm »
Savile never rode the Milk Race, he rode the 1951 Tour of Britain, which was a BLRC promotion. Jimmy styled himself Oscar 'The Duke' Savile, and was a sort of proto Cipollini without the talent.
http://www.aubinandwills.com/en-gb/editorial/summer-2011/those-magnificent-men

« Reply #908 on: 19 October, 2012, 07:00:09 pm »
Monday could be interesting...

McQuaid to hold press conference in Geneva

Over a week after USADA published its reasoned decision on the Lance Armstrong case, UCI president Pat McQuaid will formally state the governing body’s position on matter at a press conference in Geneva on Monday at 1pm local time.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-to-announce-decision-on-usadas-armstrong-findings-on-monday
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #909 on: 19 October, 2012, 07:27:29 pm »
Monday could be interesting...

McQuaid to hold press conference in Geneva

Over a week after USADA published its reasoned decision on the Lance Armstrong case, UCI president Pat McQuaid will formally state the governing body’s position on matter at a press conference in Geneva on Monday at 1pm local time.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-to-announce-decision-on-usadas-armstrong-findings-on-monday

Maybe 'a cheque' has cleared  ?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #910 on: 19 October, 2012, 07:38:50 pm »

Joe Waugh - I think finished 4th and won the KOM

« Reply #911 on: 19 October, 2012, 09:11:31 pm »
I was most annoyed in 2007 to discover I couldn't use Red Bull on PBP, as it was illegal (not just on PBP, but generally).

Fortunately the French were told where to go by the EU, and you can now get Red Bull in France.

Only after Red Bull changed the recipe to meet french concerns (or so we are told). Probably a bit like the difference between Guinness brewed in Dublin and Guinness brewed in London.

« Reply #912 on: 19 October, 2012, 09:37:27 pm »
Blimey so it is!  Bicycle Repairman's one time business partner I believe.

simonp

« Reply #913 on: 19 October, 2012, 10:16:03 pm »
I was most annoyed in 2007 to discover I couldn't use Red Bull on PBP, as it was illegal (not just on PBP, but generally).

Fortunately the French were told where to go by the EU, and you can now get Red Bull in France.

Only after Red Bull changed the recipe to meet french concerns (or so we are told). Probably a bit like the difference between Guinness brewed in Dublin and Guinness brewed in London.

Initially, yes, but according to Wikipedia since 2008 the French government accepted they had no evidence of any health risk from Red Bull:

The French approval process started in 1996 with concerns about taurine, a normal body constituent and also naturally present in the human diet (e.g., scallops, fish, poultry). This meant the drink could not be sold as-is in France. Instead, a different recipe that did not contain the ingredient was introduced. The refusal of market approval was challenged by the European Commission and partially upheld by the European Court of Justice in 2004,[31] before the French food safety agency relented in 2008 after being unable to prove definitively the existence of any health risk, taurine-related or not.[32]

« Reply #914 on: 20 October, 2012, 01:04:55 am »
Curiouser and curiouser - and if true, rather disturbing... http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-860283
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #915 on: 20 October, 2012, 07:57:25 am »
Curiouser and curiouser - and if true, rather disturbing... http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-860283

I suppose he'd have found it easy to fake cancer if he was a shape-shifting reptile. That's probably why he had to keep ahead of the other riders and disappear into his bus, his ability to maintain the persona of Lance was compromised.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #916 on: 20 October, 2012, 09:24:19 am »

Another account of the same ride from PEZ.  Attitude seems to be confirmed, but not the payment discrepancy.

I was a little disappointed to see that he got a standing ovation from 1700 people yesterday.

« Reply #917 on: 20 October, 2012, 11:06:46 am »

Initially, yes, but according to Wikipedia since 2008 the French government accepted they had no evidence of any health risk from Red Bull:

The French approval process started in 1996 with concerns about taurine, a normal body constituent and also naturally present in the human diet (e.g., scallops, fish, poultry). This meant the drink could not be sold as-is in France. Instead, a different recipe that did not contain the ingredient was introduced. The refusal of market approval was challenged by the European Commission and partially upheld by the European Court of Justice in 2004,[31] before the French food safety agency relented in 2008 after being unable to prove definitively the existence of any health risk, taurine-related or not.[32]

Well, I think they kept very quiet about it over here! (Probably the UMP couldn't risk losing face).

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #919 on: 21 October, 2012, 06:41:55 am »
The thing that really pisses my off: The UCI is blaming ME for the doping problems, instead of accepting the responsibility.

Mr Pound cites a conversation he had with the former UCI president, Hein Verbruggen.

DICK POUND: I said 'Hein, are you, you guys have a huge problem in your sport'. He said 'what do you mean?' I said 'the doping'. 'Well', he said, 'that's really the fault of the spectators'. And I said 'I beg your pardon, it's the spectators' fault?' Well' he said, 'yes, if they were happy with the Tour de France at 25K, you know we'd be fine. But', he said, 'if they want it at 41 and 42', he said, 'the riders have to prepare'. And I just shook my head and said 'well, you heard it here first, you got a big problem'.

From ABC 4 corners program

« Reply #920 on: 21 October, 2012, 10:35:18 am »
The thing that really pisses my off: The UCI is blaming ME for the doping problems, instead of accepting the responsibility.

(Justin)e  it was bound to come out in the end.  Don't fight it like Lance.  Just go quietly.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #921 on: 22 October, 2012, 12:23:17 pm »
UCI ratifies USADA decision/sanctions.  Hop over to Cycling News for more info.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #922 on: 22 October, 2012, 12:30:17 pm »
Not as if they had much choice - can you imagine the $hit-storm if they had appealed to the CAS? ;D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-confirms-lance-armstrongs-life-ban

Hopefully, more details of the ongoing Q&A session will be published soon...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #923 on: 22 October, 2012, 12:44:22 pm »
You and me baby ain't nothing but mammals, let's do it like they do in the Discovery Channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat1GVnl8-k

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #924 on: 22 October, 2012, 01:12:49 pm »

Hopefully, more details of the ongoing Q&A session will be published soon...

I watched it live. It can be summed up as "No it wasn't my fault. I've done a good job. No I'm not resigning." and "That'll be decided at the UCI management committee meeting".
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur