Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2444958 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2050 on: 21 September, 2009, 09:39:46 am »
^^^  Very interesting, thanks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2051 on: 21 September, 2009, 10:12:32 am »
Quite possibly an original feature.
Getting there...

« Reply #2052 on: 21 September, 2009, 11:52:01 am »
I'd guess that with a much more powerful cyclists on the front, compared to the back (ie Adult vs Child), it's slightly more efficient for the front to be connected directly to the drive and the timing chain to feed onto that, rather than the more common arrangement.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2053 on: 21 September, 2009, 11:57:21 am »
It's a transitional point from the former position, where the more powerful cyclist (generally the chap) was the stoker.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #2054 on: 24 September, 2009, 09:53:47 am »
Thank goodness my British Eagle Touristique was carrying an Organ Donor card.  

It lives !

Err..it dies !

The transplant

It Lives again!

I think the whole operation cost £220 or thereabouts.  I'm really pleased with the finished bike although I haven't ridden it yet, I was up too late last night fettling the gears.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2055 on: 24 September, 2009, 09:59:31 am »
Igor, throw the switch! ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #2056 on: 24 September, 2009, 10:49:05 am »
Lee,
Is that steel again or aluminium?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2057 on: 24 September, 2009, 10:51:27 am »
I think he's gone un-Real this time :(
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #2058 on: 24 September, 2009, 10:55:55 am »
Lee,

It's recycled Coke cans this time.  However I do have a steel Condor Fratello on order.

I couldn't resist the price of the Ribble frame and forks at £135 and it feels noticeably lighter (despite the chunky tubes)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2059 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:21:31 am »
I couldn't resist the price of the Ribble frame and forks at £135...

Hmm, £135? I'm tempted to copy you (it's cheaper/easier than repairing/refurbishing my old audax bike that's currently languishing in the garage). Presume that doesn't include a stem?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2060 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:26:45 am »
Lee,

It's recycled Coke cans this time.  However I do have a steel Condor Fratello on order.

I couldn't resist the price of the Ribble frame and forks at £135 and it feels noticeably lighter (despite the chunky tubes)

The only reason I ask is I wondered if you notice the difference in the ride quality?

LEE

« Reply #2061 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:28:27 am »
Smutichin:
No stem, you also need a headset (£14 fitted if ordered at same time).

I used my MTB stem for now and will replace it with something blingier once I get the length/height right.

You may also need a longer retaining bolt for the front brakes (a few pence from LBS) as the carbon fork crown is very deep and the one supplied with my Sora brakes only engaged by a couple of threads.

Initial test-ride report when I get back from lunch (Carradice will be packed with tools just in case)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2062 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:34:22 am »
The only reason I ask is I wondered if you notice the difference in the ride quality?
I do notice a difference with my Alu Ribble compared to my older steel frames: briefly, very nippy but harsher. But that may be down to frame geometry etc, not just material. I've not done a single ride over 200k on mine, and not sure if I'd want to, but it's perfect for an everyday bike.

I've had mine for three years now - no regrets. In fact, Mr Grub, I'm just off on mine now for a quick 60k.  :demon: ;)

EDIT: enjoy your test ride, Lee. Look forward to your first impressions.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

citoyen

« Reply #2063 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:34:50 am »

Ah. Yes, I see... it says they'll fit the headset free but not that the headset itself is free. Thanks.

Steel schmeel. Carbon fork and 32C tyres should see to the comfort side of things.

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2064 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:42:48 am »
32c tyres?

Where the hell you gonna get that much air from? :o
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #2065 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:45:23 am »

Ah. Yes, I see... it says they'll fit the headset free but not that the headset itself is free. Thanks.

Steel schmeel. Carbon fork and 32C tyres should see to the comfort side of things.

d.

32C tyres?

You'll be wanting a different bike then?

23mm with mudguards was pushing the limit.

28mm Marathons fit but you won't be getting full mudguards in there.

citoyen

« Reply #2066 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:50:16 am »
Meh. As if I would really put anything bigger than 28C on an audax bike. (Though I know many other people do.)

Having said that, I'm surprised that something sold as an audax/winter frame doesn't have clearance for 28C and mudguards.  :-\

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2067 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:51:40 am »
28c & RaceBlades FTW :thumbsup:
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #2068 on: 24 September, 2009, 01:30:57 pm »
First ride impressions are very positive. 

It doesn't feel harsh at all, maybe that;s the carbon forks and Brooks saddle helping.  The "chassis" is much stiffer laterally than the Touristique which makes climbing out the saddle feel rewarding.

I have a few rattling gear issues that weren't apparent until I put it under load and a touching tyre/mudguard somewhere (under the rear brake I think).  Will sort those out tonight and go for a proper ride.

« Reply #2069 on: 24 September, 2009, 01:42:05 pm »
Not to piss on your parade, but I thought that initially with my OCR4.  Try a decent audax and you may change your mind  ;D

LEE

« Reply #2070 on: 24 September, 2009, 01:43:07 pm »
Not to piss on your parade, but I thought that initially with my OCR4.  Try a decent audax and you may change your mind  ;D

Hopefully I will be doing when the Fratello Arrives.  This will be fine for a 200 at least.  "cockpit" is very relaxed (bars set quite high)

« Reply #2071 on: 24 September, 2009, 01:43:31 pm »
Not to piss on your parade, but I thought that initially with my OCR4.  Try a decent audax and you may change your mind  ;D

Hopefully I will be doing when the Fratello Arrives

Smart move.   :thumbsup:

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #2072 on: 24 September, 2009, 02:00:36 pm »
23mm with mudguards was pushing the limit.

28mm Marathons fit but you won't be getting full mudguards in there.

I take it you've got the horizontal top tube one then. Mine's the sloping top tube which for some inexplicable reason has clearance for 28s + guards, but no braze ons for a rack.

The horizontal top tube on the other hand has the braze ons, but only clearance for 23s + guards.

I've done about 1500 miles on mine and I really really like it. As Eck says, perfect as an everyday bike.

« Reply #2073 on: 24 September, 2009, 02:26:45 pm »
Ribbles individual oddities aside, don't forget that front wheel clearance is due to the fork only, irrespective of the frame. Rear wheel clearance is due to the frame design and specifically the chain/seat stay lengths and brake bridge "height".

If those are Deda Black Rain carbon forks (I can't quite tell, but they look like it) then you won't get 28mm tyres in them with mudguards, not even with advanced Volio-esque zip-tie mudguard mounting techniques. 25mm+guards max.

Chainstay length looks ok, more than enough space between mudguard and seat tube for another 3mm of tyre. Can't tell about the clearance at the brake bridge from those photos but I'm guessing that's where the problem lies.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LEE

« Reply #2074 on: 25 September, 2009, 09:40:29 am »

Arse!

I may have to removethe  metal clamp & resort to zip-tie fettling of rear mudguard.  There's the occasional buzz of an asthmatic wasp when I'm honking out of saddle.  It's not the mudguard stays so I think it must be around the brake bolt area (where guard sits very deep over tyre).

Also had a very loud creaking when pedalling, so loud that I thought it was the chain rubbing on the front mech, which I hope was down to my crank bolt not being tight enough.

Ah, the joys of attempting to get old gear to run silently.  

I am a bit obsessive about bike noises and find it hard to understand how some people can live with some of the creaks and rattles I hear on rides.