General Category > The Knowledge

19mm internal rims and 25mm tyres?

(1/4) > >>

Bianchi Boy:
I am considering getting some rims with 19mm internal width and using them with 25mm tyres. Will this work or are the tyres too narrow for the rims?

Thanks in advance.

BB

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

mcshroom:
I've done it before without any issues. My combination was a Michelin Pro4 Endurance on a Mavic A319 front wheel so I could use my tourer's dynamo wheel for audaxing. The Pro4 was pretty wide compared to some 25mm tyres though.

zigzag:
definitely not too narrow. fwiw, i've been using 25mm tyres (gp4000s2) on 21mm rims - they come up 28.7mm wide. on the same rims -  i also use s-works turbo 28mm which measure 30.3mm.

wajcgac:
I had a set of wheels built by Dave at DCRwheels using Kinlin XR31T rims that have an internal width of 19mm.

One of his comments when discussing rim/tyre options was

--- Quote ---'I think that 25c is going to be a nicer option for you, it offers better grip and comfort.  However you can definitely run 23/25/28s without any issue on these rims'
--- End quote ---

I've been running 23mm tyres on them (was concerned about frame clearance) for nearly 10,000km with no issue. Not sure whether this is true of all 19mm rims though or just the ones I have.

BFC:
No problem. Be sensible about choice of tube - if the 25mm nominal tyre is coming out at 28mm width when fitted make sure the tube is OK up to the larger effective size or it will be prone to failure around the valve stem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version