Author Topic: 218 mile cycle lane planned- St Pauls to Notre Dame  (Read 4907 times)

schlafsack

Re: 218 mile cycle lane planned- St Pauls to Notre Dame
« Reply #25 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:03:09 pm »
I did something close to this route last year with a few friends.  We immediately decided not to follow the UK side of things,  it's utter nonsense.  We followed something like the L2B route which is a pleasant ride.  The Newhaven-Dieppe ferry is good 'cos you can get a cabin on the overnight ferry.

The french side was a dream, the avenue vert currently starts near dieppe and follows an old rail line for 30k.   No traffic, wide and smooth, and the pedestrians moved out of the way of us and waved.  After the railway ends it was back on the roads which were a delight, the only other off-road section was the forests outside Versailles. I'm not sure that are planning to make the whole route a cycle-lane only affair and if they do it will be a real shame. 

One night on the ferry (£20ish), one night in a farm house (with breakfast in bed - £15), one night in Paris (£50) and a one way on the eurostar (£40).  Worth every penny.

Hint:  Clear your cookies and tell the eurostar site that you are Australian - It will let you buy single tickets at a much more reasonable price.

« Reply #26 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:18:52 pm »
Just tried to work out which routes the future route to Newhaven might follow, but how the hell does one find out about where those sustrans routes are? I've tried the online map on their site which is frigging impossible to use. ??? ??? ??? They just seem to show bits of routes and with little or no other info for orientation...
"Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength."
- Petrarch, 'The Ascent of Mount Ventoux', 1336

simonp

« Reply #27 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:52:07 pm »
Crawley.  Nuff said.  :sick:

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2009, 04:32:53 am »
Indeed, and so many points being raised here. UK side: take a lot of existing leisure routes pointing in different directions, and put up new signposts (and you don't have to go through Crawley proper, just stay on Balcombe Road till the roundabout after the Hillside Inn and take the Turner's Hill road to the Worth Way crossing).
Pricing of cross-channel travel, where it costs more if you are seen as a Brit than it does for anyone else.
A dedicated link via Newhaven.....till the ferry shuts or goes seasonal.
A ride through Kent would be fine. It is glorious cycling terrain. Pity about the climb out of Dover on the Sustrans route....

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #29 on: 07 January, 2009, 08:17:43 am »
Crawley.  Nuff said.  :sick:

Oi! No cup of tea for you then as you pass my door.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

spindrift

« Reply #30 on: 07 January, 2009, 09:13:30 am »
Clear your cookies and tell the eurostar site that you are Australian - It will let you buy single tickets at a much more reasonable price.

Ooooh! Really?

Scurries off.