Author Topic: Learning to Play Ukulele Low G tuning  (Read 573 times)

Learning to Play Ukulele Low G tuning
« on: 01 December, 2023, 12:16:19 pm »
My attempt to learn to play the guitar a few years back started out okay until I ran out of steam and ability.

I've decided to give it another go and asked Mrs TM to get me a Tenor Ukulele for Xmas, which should be an easier instrument for me to cope with.

Having spent time looking at the Reviews we've ordered a Kmise Tenor, which seems to be reasonably well regarded for budget end of the market.

I've now realised it comes tuned at Low G when I would have preferred the more normal High G tuning.

I know I could re-string it to High G, but if I leave it as it is how does that work with Ukulele chord charts? Are they the same for Low & High G, or do I need to find charts and books that show the chords for Low G?

Re: Learning to Play Ukulele Low G tuning
« Reply #1 on: 01 December, 2023, 12:51:45 pm »
Chords should be the same, sound will be different I would have thought

« Reply #2 on: 01 December, 2023, 01:42:28 pm »
Standard and tenor ukes have the same string layout - G, C, E, A - so chords will be fingered the same, as Ham said.

You could put standard strings on, as you said, and there should not be any issue but if there is buzzing while playing the higher pitched G, swapping the nut for one prepared for a high G is straightforward.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2023, 02:50:05 pm »
Or you could buy a guitarrita, which is a uke-sized guitar with A as the bottom string instead of E.  Shoves all your favourite songs up by a fourth and puts your top notes out of reach.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2023, 03:03:01 pm »
You can tune a ukelele?  Gosh.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2023, 05:03:40 pm »
Chords should be the same, sound will be different I would have thought

Yes but more Guitar like than UKE like, which for me, would be a bonus.

« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2023, 06:25:28 pm »
You can tune a ukelele?  Gosh.  :)

In the context of my ability to play a musical instrument, the extent to which it can be tuned is probably irrelevant.

Answers provided, combined with some more internet browsing, have clarified things for me & I'll stick with the Low G tuning initially at least.

« Reply #7 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:06:08 pm »
If you're looking for stuff to play, there's a whole series of 'The little black book of classic/great/hit/Beatles/accoustic/etc songs for ukulele' ...

... with uke chords shown rather than guitar ones.

[I too have a tenor, and aspirations to learn how to play it!]

I've always reckoned that "4 strings with 4 fingers means you've got a fighting chance", but then I'm originally a violinist ...

« Reply #8 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:07:24 pm »

I've always reckoned that "4 strings with 4 fingers means you've got a fighting chance", but then I'm originally a violinist ...

Your fingers are clearly slimmer than my stubby peasant appendages.

« Reply #9 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:30:17 pm »
Not necessarily - 'originally a violinist', I'm now relegated to viola...  8)

There are jokes about viola players, you know ...

« Reply #10 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:03:08 pm »
As well as a couple of ukes (and a few guitars!) I have a Yamaha guitalele (guitarrita). It's quite good fun to play.

Regarding tuning, I was told that the real translation of the word ukulele is "little bastard that won't stay in tune"!
What's this bottom line for anyway?