Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517628 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3100 on: 14 May, 2018, 08:51:16 pm »
Good luck with the ride Tomsk. It's bound to be a corker.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3101 on: 15 May, 2018, 10:43:22 am »
Enjoy Tomsk!

I'm off to Aberhafesp on Saturday to provide TLC for those riding the BCM and then my tour home which has ended up being Aberhafesp > Ironbridge (just for the bridge)> Stratford upon Avon (for a bit of culture) > Towcester (for beer with an old friend) > Ashwell (For beer with Phil W) > Home on Thursday.

I've set the Croix up with front and back panniers and can't wait to do a proper, albeit short tour.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3102 on: 15 May, 2018, 10:55:21 am »
We need photos of the CdF fully loaded  :thumbsup:  We also want to see evidence of proper cooking with the camp stove I'm certain you're taking with you!

« Reply #3103 on: 15 May, 2018, 11:35:24 am »
OK...but remember my fully loaded is likely less than you would take for a weekend  ;D

Catherine got me a Trangia for my Birthday so I shall indeed be doing some cooking along the way. Not sure I can be bothered cleaning so it might just be once  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3104 on: 15 May, 2018, 12:01:30 pm »
OK...but remember my fully loaded is likely less than you would take for a weekend  ;D

Catherine got me a Trangia for my Birthday so I shall indeed be doing some cooking along the way. Not sure I can be bothered cleaning so it might just be once  ;)

You have my steak dinner with all the trimmings to beat!

« Reply #3105 on: 15 May, 2018, 12:19:42 pm »
hmmm.....not sure that can be beaten...especially by someone suffering with gout for the last month...but I will try.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3106 on: 15 May, 2018, 12:20:46 pm »
hmmm.....not sure that can be beaten...especially by someone suffering with gout for the last month...but I will try.

Trying is all we ask!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3107 on: 17 May, 2018, 08:26:34 am »
Imagine, if you can, Genderquake meets Last of the Summer Wine and you will have last night's outing (woops) just about right.  People self-identifying and forgetting who they were about sums it up.

It will take our diversity officer some time to complete his investigations so I will draw a veil over the evening's activities there.

The evening began with the disappointing news from the Lynx that something had "popped up" - presumably while packing his lunchbox before setting off.

That meant that it was just Petrocelli and I who met at the Layer Fox for a short but swift ride over to the Chequers at Great Tey.  So swift in fact that Petro was moaning about arriving early - a whole 4 minutes.  We were still locking our bikes when we saw the distant glow of Hotblack's laser lightshow, the Witham peloton were early too.  As well as Hotblack, they had Oaky, Oros, the Hustler, Huggy, Hector Barbossa, Kieran and Annie Oakley.

I am not sure the pub knew quite what to make of us and Huggy's quip to the landlady about admiring her horse (a great dane called Arnie) didn't seem to help.  I think by evening's end our charm and good humour had worked its usual magic and we were waved off cheerily enough by the regulars.

There was a limited beer selection but a finely kept Landlord by Timothy Taylor took the Quaffers' Choice.

We also had a further schism with Les Alpinistes choosing to sit at a different table while they mumbled about Cols and campsites.  Meanwhile, in the absence of the Lynx, we turned on each other which made for another jolly evening.

We left into an unseasonably cold night but at least it was a tailwind home.  Will sandals season ever arrive  :'(
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3108 on: 17 May, 2018, 08:35:06 am »
Who or what is Petrocelli and why?  I is confused.

« Reply #3109 on: 17 May, 2018, 08:55:21 am »
Google is your friend.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3110 on: 17 May, 2018, 09:21:49 am »
Google is your friend.

Way too subtle for me. You’ll have to explain when I next see you  ;D

« Reply #3111 on: 17 May, 2018, 10:09:44 am »
Did you not watch telly in the '70s ?  Perhaps you were too busy being 30 something.

Tony Petrocelli is an Italian-American Harvard-educated lawyer who gave up the big money and frenetic pace of major-metropolitan life to practice in a sleepy city in the American Southwest. He and wife Maggie live in a trailer in the country while waiting for their new house to be built.

Remind you of anyone ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3112 on: 17 May, 2018, 10:27:09 am »
Ooooooooh, now I get it. I may have watched said telly programme but have obviously forgotten.

« Reply #3113 on: 17 May, 2018, 01:21:00 pm »
Ooooooooh, now I get it. I may have watched said telly programme but have obviously forgotten.
With that one sorted, a d Google being no help, who or what is oros?

Sent using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #3114 on: 17 May, 2018, 03:17:10 pm »
Oros70 to give him his full name.

You will have to ask him, it's a real false name not one of mine !

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3115 on: 18 May, 2018, 10:11:37 am »
Did you not watch telly in the '70s ?  Perhaps you were too busy being 30 something.

Tony Petrocelli is an Italian-American Harvard-educated lawyer who gave up the big money and frenetic pace of major-metropolitan life to practice in a sleepy city in the American Southwest. He and wife Maggie live in a trailer in the country while waiting for their new house to be built.

Remind you of anyone ?

I thought it was a camper van rather than a trailer, used to love that programme
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3116 on: 24 May, 2018, 09:01:02 am »
Pints make prizes !

How fitting that on the day Dale Winton was laid to rest, it was prizes galore for the MEMWNs peloton.

We also had love's young dream to discuss but more of that later.

It was a later start than usual with people trying to find some miles.  I arrived at 9.15 to find Bobb, Tomsk, Chris and Jack Sparrow already there.  We were soon joined by Mr and Mrs Jiber and Oaky.  The Witham peloton had been dragged into a COR filled Alpine training ride.  When they eventually appeared it was a fast group comprising OD, the Hustler and Hotblack.

Sadly, the Lynx was absent again.  Apparently Daisy Duke had given up her visit to Boss Hogg's to help him with his lunchbox.

It was Titanic takeover night so we sampled Iceberg, Captain Smith's, First Class, Anchor, Plum Porter and Cherry Dark.  This was managed in spite of a breakdown in our beverage logistics department that meant we had two kitties and Jiber having to hobble back and forth to the Bar.  One of our judging panel went off piste on the sampling but Captain Smith's took the coveted Quaffer's Choice.

There was a Titanic draw as well.  I won a pen, the Hustler, Tomsk and OD won beer but Captain Sparrow topped us all with his chutney win.

We discussed  Bobb's forthcoming tour, Tomsk and Jiber's respective epic Welsh outings and we took the time to toast the happy couple.  It turned out that Chris had just been married.  He was barely out of his wedding kilt but was already out with us, that's dedication.

I cheated with some train assistance on the way home but it was still a cold ride from the station.  Sandals time has to come soon...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3117 on: 24 May, 2018, 09:43:34 am »
It was quite a night - what with one thing and another.  Great to see Chris, I hope he'll come out with us on a regular basis from now on.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3118 on: 24 May, 2018, 10:47:40 am »
Pints make prizes !

There was a Titanic draw as well.  I won a pen, Jiber Tomsk, Hustler and OD won beer but Captain Sparrow topped us all with his chutney win.

FTFY  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3119 on: 24 May, 2018, 10:49:28 am »
Pints make prizes !

There was a Titanic draw as well.  I won a pen, Jiber Tomsk, Hustler and OD won beer but Captain Sparrow topped us all with his chutney win.

What did you win then?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3120 on: 24 May, 2018, 11:01:06 am »
Pints make prizes !

What did you win then?

Nothing but if you are reading this on tapatalk, you will not see that 'Jiber' is struck out.... :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3121 on: 24 May, 2018, 11:03:18 am »
That’s karma that is.  You’re being punished for refusing to be the next Beer Bitch.

« Reply #3122 on: 29 May, 2018, 01:33:24 pm »
I know several of the ACME peloton are on the TINAT this coming weekend and a couple of the hardier lads did the helpers ride but is anyone else on the A&S this weekend?

I'm still undecided on just about all of the details about the A&S at the moment.

« Reply #3123 on: 29 May, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »
I am on A&S but I will be far behind you.

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3124 on: 29 May, 2018, 02:10:34 pm »
A & S here too but even further behind