Author Topic: Jimmy's Food Factory  (Read 1047 times)

Jimmy's Food Factory
« on: 22 November, 2009, 10:49:49 pm »
I'm not sure whether this should be here, or in Arts & Entertainment, but if anyone with the power wants to move it, feel free.

I had avoided watching this earlier, as I was worried that it was going to be a programme critical of the food industry, but it's really just very informative about the science and engineering of the food that we buy and eat, and to me (as a scientist albeit not involved in the biological sciences) it's quite fascinating.

At the moment I think you can still watch the last five programmes on BBC iPlayer, but I was slightly disappointed that they haven't put some of the recipes on a website.

On one programme he makes his own Cola, and whilst he mentions some of the ingredients, he doesn't detail all of them, or the quantities involved.  He attempted to carbonate it himself, with not very much success, which made me wonder why they didn't just use a SodaStream (are these still available?), but I guess that wouldn't have been in the spirit of the DIY approach of the programme.

Personally I found it very enjoyable, and intend to watch the remaining programmes which I haven't seen yet.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Re: Jimmy's Food Factory
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:09:01 am »
I've really enjoyed the series, and it's really more about science than food.

For once it's a show not railing about how bad fast and processed food is.

No judgements about the rights and wrongs about processed foods, just a straight forward explanation about how things are done.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: Jimmy's Food Factory
« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2009, 10:16:55 am »
No judgements about the rights and wrongs about processed foods, just a straight forward explanation about how things are done.

Yes - this is what makes it such a good program in my opinion. Unlike a lot of the food related output these days, it just tells you how it is and leaves you to make up your own mind.

Manages to be casual and humorous without being facile. Great TV.
Owner of a languishing Langster