Author Topic: Proximity Memory Full (HCx Legend)  (Read 2115 times)

Proximity Memory Full (HCx Legend)
« on: 21 July, 2013, 05:46:36 pm »
Never seen this before.
Cleared out all tracks/routes/waypoints.
Just loading up 20 tracks and 20 routes for LEL along with waypoints on each control and waypoints with proximity warnings for all the points highlighted on the routesheet as !CARE!
Except that before I'd finished I got a "Proximity Memory Full" message and although the tracks & routes seem fine, only the last dozen wayoints appear, the first ones loaded have been "disappeared".
I'm sure it's taken many more waypoints before, and can't understand why proximity warning points should cause a problem.

Any one shed any light on this?  Solutions? 

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Proximity Memory Full (HCx Legend)
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2013, 12:02:03 am »
New one on me - obviously an undocumented limit - interesting - however if the Routes seem OK (when you look at the map on the GPS screen) then the waypoints are there - just not as 'user' waypoints.  The Routes and Waypoint names etc should still work (just not the proximity bit) even though you can't see the Waypoints in the Waypoints menu.  (It is actually possible to load Routes and opt not to load Waypoints at all - and everything still works just fine.)

Check the last Route in the Routes list, by using 'View Map'.  If the last one in the list is OK, the others should be too.

[edit - re-reading your post - check the first one in the list too.  And Routes don't 'follow road' in this preview mode - you just see straight lines.]
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:45:01 am »
All the routes are built up of routepoints (no waypoints in the building up of the routes) and seemed OK - I checked a few.

What's weird is that although the waypoint menu only shows a dozen points loaded, when looking at the map to check the routes and tracks the missing waypoints did show on the screen.

When LEL does the final final amendments I shall load it all up on a Vista HCx and see if I get the same thing.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:51:09 pm »
Ppete
My HCx took the routes for LEL no problem. I took the tracks as supplied by LEL itself, and created a route, that followed the same roads as the tracks,  for each leg between controls (checking there were fewer than 50 waypoints on each leg), and finished up with (I think) eight going north and nine coming south. These I named N1, N2 and S1, S2 etc etc. The HCx seemed to take it all with no worries so you should be OK.

(Although ICBA to take on board the last minute changes of route.)
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2013, 01:03:31 pm »
I think most Garmins are limited to a fairly small number of proximity waypoints. It doesn't seem to be specified anywhere, but it seems its about 10 or 20 proximity waypoints on the older Etrex models. Not sure if newer ones are different.

And not sure what will happen if you try loading more proximity waypoints than this. Will the older ones get overwritten, or will they just become 'normal' waypoints? This may depend on what software you are using.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2013, 05:10:40 pm »
What's weird is that although the waypoint menu only shows a dozen points loaded, when looking at the map to check the routes and tracks the missing waypoints did show on the screen.

By default the waypoints menu only shows those within about 50 miles of you (and listed in order of proximity).  So many waypoints on an LEL route would not be listed.
You can alter this behaviour, to list points alphabetically - then distant points will be listed.  (But proximity is usually quite a useful feature - if for example you're looking for the nearest hospital, or station ...)

Now we're in danger of confusing 'proximity' and 'Proximity' ...

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2013, 06:05:54 pm »

My HCx took the routes for LEL no problem. I took the tracks as supplied by LEL itself, and created a route, that followed the same roads as the tracks,  for each leg between controls (checking there were fewer than 50 waypoints on each leg), and finished up with (I think) eight going north and nine coming south. These I named N1, N2 and S1, S2 etc etc. The HCx seemed to take it all with no worries so you should be OK.

Yeah - no worries on the actual route & track, I normally put Proximity waypoints on info controls only so I've never come across this limitation before, just thought it was interesting that what seemed a "nice to have" enhancement is so limited, an knowing the encyclopaedic knowledge of some folks on here I wondered if there was a work around....  no worries if not.

Anyway despite reporting memory full, all the waypoints loaded, blue flags for controls, red for !CARE! so even if I don't get warning tone there's a visual clue.

As FF points out only the nearest few are shown by default, but they are all there if you change the settings.

« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2014, 09:07:08 pm »
Weird.  On my Vista HCx, I cleared all tracks/routes/waypoints, and transferred a new track, route and 19 waypoints (with proximity alarms), and got "proximity memory full".  So I cleared everything, took the proximity alarm off 6 of the waypoints, and reloaded all - got the same proximity memory full warning.   It's disappeared off the screen now   ??? 

Any new thoughts on this?  Could it just be a bug with newer firmware? Since I wouldn't have thought that 13 wypts would fill the prox. memory.   I don't really need that many alarms set so can reduce further.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2014, 11:17:13 am »
Just an undocumented limit, I guess.  Maybe the limit's 10 - who knows.  Or maybe it depends on the proximity distance set - 2km taking more memory than 200m, something like that.  Or if two proximity circles overlap - that could be a weird one.

It's easy to get the decimal in the wrong place - or use the wrong units - when setting up a proximity point.  Maybe there's one set to 200km instead of 200m - that might do it!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2014, 06:27:17 pm »
10 is OK
11 triggers the 'proximity memory full' message.  On a Vista HCx, software 3.30/2.90

When more than 10 are loaded, the first 10** retain their proximity properties, and the rest still exist as Waypoints but without the proximity.

The size of the proximity circles, and whether they overlap of not, doesn't seem to affect it, I tried it with 200m (not overlapping) and 2km (overlapping) and it made no difference.

** in my trial, 1st 10 alphabetically.  Didn't try a GPX where they might be listed non-alphabetically, and I would guess in that case, the 1st 10 in the GPX list.

« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2014, 12:14:42 am »
10 is OK
11 triggers the 'proximity memory full' message.  On a Vista HCx, software 3.30/2.90

When more than 10 are loaded, the first 10** retain their proximity properties, and the rest still exist as Waypoints but without the proximity.

The size of the proximity circles, and whether they overlap of not, doesn't seem to affect it, I tried it with 200m (not overlapping) and 2km (overlapping) and it made no difference.

** in my trial, 1st 10 alphabetically.  Didn't try a GPX where they might be listed non-alphabetically, and I would guess in that case, the 1st 10 in the GPX list.

Thanks.   :)   Reduced to 10, no warning.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #11 on: 21 August, 2014, 07:06:43 am »
TBH, I was totally unaware the thing had proximity settings.
I always used Routes, to get the bleeps. I always had the map on auto-zoom; and I always had ‘lock on road’.
I also tried to reduce my amount of day-dreaming.