Author Topic: South Bucks Winter Warmer 2016  (Read 6381 times)

Re: South Bucks Winter Warmer 2016
« Reply #25 on: 05 December, 2017, 11:07:28 am »
One of the closest events to me for months, and It's on our wedding anniversary!!!! Grrrr!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 05 December, 2017, 11:11:58 am »
HK and I are in. Hopefully this stinking cold will have gone by then. I'm getting a bit tired of so much coughing.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #27 on: 05 December, 2017, 12:38:39 pm »
With windchill is 4 below freezing... no thanks...  :o

« Reply #28 on: 05 December, 2017, 03:39:33 pm »
I am in for the 3rd year in a row.
It was my second Audax ride and it started my Audax journey.
I am now on my 28th consecutive month of 200km+ rides.

« Reply #29 on: 05 December, 2017, 10:38:16 pm »
Missing it this year....need to kick start myself back into Audaxes in 2018 after an injury forced absence for a few months of 2017 (I have a good excuse which I'm happy to share: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5035287/Company-director-swerved-collide-cyclist.html ) :facepalm:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #30 on: 09 December, 2017, 07:39:26 pm »
Sorry you couldn't make it PAC, you would have enjoyed a beautiful winters day out on the bike.

A smaller field than usual, I think there were 58 starters out if 115 entrants which is a shame as it was cold, as advertised, but bright and largely ice-free. A lovely winter route,the cold weather prompted some efficient controlling as I was keen to get in before temperatures dropped significantly once darkness descended. Picked up a chap on only his second audax but he was going well and proved good company. There was a decent group of us out to Alton on the first leg but they seem to drop off one by one, never to be seen again.

Some varied food options for me on this one, my 5th SBWW - A Greggs pasty in Alton, the chip shop in Pangbourne and a quick coffee at Wheatley. Aside from that, the hills were all present and correct; Whitchurch tougher than I remember but my gears were playing up so couldn't access the Granny ring, Aston Hill always a lovely climb in fading light, and Windsor hill a nasty closer to any ride from this part of the world.

Thanks to Terry and helpers, always a genial welcome for the weary randonneur. I was hoping to have a pint with my fellow traveller but we seem to lose each other in the palace of glittering delights that is Beaconsfield Services. If you are reading this, let's do it again sometime.

« Reply #31 on: 11 December, 2017, 01:14:59 pm »
A cold but dry day - so much better than the snowy Sunday that followed.

My second year and I was trying to keep the stops shorter (Sainsburys, Co-op, Wheatley) but still took longer than last year. As blueskies says "the hills were all present and correct" but as I was expecting them they didn't feel too bad.

Thanks to Terry and helpers for the cheery welcome.