Author Topic: Old York cycling photos  (Read 2150 times)

Old York cycling photos
« on: 30 April, 2015, 12:36:13 pm »
York Press releases old photos from their archive every week. This week the theme is cycling:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11565996.11_fantastic_old_York_cycling_pictures/

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Old York cycling photos
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2015, 12:53:28 pm »
I spy Edgar!
Getting there...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2015, 10:10:55 am »
Back when I was a lad (early eighties), I used to go swimming at Yearsley swimming pool, which is next to the Rowntree's factory. There was a massive parking area for bikes next to the swimming pool for workers at the factory. It was always crammed full of bikes, and at shift change time the roads would be full of people on bikes going home.

It's a car park now, and the space that used to be so full so bikes might park about 20 cars in it.

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2015, 10:29:19 am »
My Dad used to work at the British Rail permanent way depot on Leeman Road. Sometimes we used to go pick him up (usually he went by moped or bike) and the number of bikes coming out of the gates at leaving time was amazing. That was in the mid 1970s. Not many people work their now never mind that most of them will be going by car. York Carriage Works was the same a mass exodus of bikes every evening.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.