Author Topic: ALPI 4000  (Read 28365 times)

Re: ALPI 4000
« Reply #50 on: 24 October, 2017, 07:10:20 am »
Couldn't resist - I'm in!
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

« Reply #51 on: 24 October, 2017, 12:21:59 pm »
Found this interesting link on a facebook search:

https://www.relive.cc/view/r9106012108/explore

No idea if accurate ITO have route. Not found a GPX, but did reply on FB whether there was one.

« Reply #52 on: 30 October, 2017, 12:51:01 pm »
Phew! Just got in #426. I have already booked an entry for the Tour d'Etape on the 8th July and as I will be retired by then, the time in between that and the 4000 is my own.
I did the Stelvio when I did TCR02, so I had the ride from London in my legs and didn't find it too bad, just long and bloody cold at the top - it was raining hard. It was tricky going back down the same way, I had just put on new brake blocks and they were almost completely useless in the wet, so I went off the end of the first hairpin - harmless but tiresome, thus I had to take it really slow until the bends ended.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #53 on: 31 October, 2017, 05:20:12 am »
It was tricky going back down the same way, I had just put on new brake blocks and they were almost completely useless in the wet, so I went off the end of the first hairpin - harmless but tiresome, thus I had to take it really slow until the bends ended.

I switched to discs for TCR05 - didn't fancy combination of steep descents, wet, possibly dark, hands weakened with palsey, and heavily laden bike. Also wore through a set of pads part way and had to put spare set in. Bike should be a bit less loaded for Alpi 4000, but will still carry spares given the hills we're going over

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #54 on: 10 January, 2018, 09:43:16 pm »
I had an email earlier today this ride and so I'm now properly paid up; 190€ for the ride and 10€ for the bag drop. There was also an optional jersey (45€), but the design didn't inspire me enough to add to my collection.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #55 on: 10 January, 2018, 09:57:27 pm »
Before i pay can anyone offer any advice on the medical note required for the entry,
It appears more than just a scribbled note from a friendly GP is required, cheers.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #56 on: 10 January, 2018, 09:59:26 pm »
I noted the medical thing and figured I'd deal with that when the time arrives....... I know that is a totally unhelpful answer!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #57 on: 11 January, 2018, 07:31:04 am »
The law has changed in Italy a few years back. These days for any organised bicycle ride exceeding 20 km, a full medical is needed, which has to include an ECG. The old doctor's note is no longer enough.
How this is administered to foreign riders is more of a mystery. Some events have forms that you can download and pass on to your GP.

Anyway, it is a ballache, although I appreciate the good intentions

αdαmsκι

« Reply #58 on: 11 January, 2018, 10:24:08 am »
Cheers. That does indeed sound like a right faff.  Hey ho, I guess it'll just mean paying a silly amount of money in order to gain that sorted ::-).

whosatthewheel

« Reply #59 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:05:52 am »
Cheers. That does indeed sound like a right faff.  Hey ho, I guess it'll just mean paying a silly amount of money in order to gain that sorted ::-).

It might not be that bad. It's the same for the Eroica and I haven't heard much moaning on forums about it, which means possibly foreigners get away lightly. Ultimately it is down to your GP to sign the form and some GPs might be satisfied that you meet the requirements without having to go through a full medical. You don't have to physically submit your ECG for scrutiny from the organiser.
Equally, it might well be that your GP doesn't want to sign it or requests that you undergo an ECG at your own expense.

As always in these cases, the last resort is forgery, which has been common practice for years in events like "La Marmotte" but we don't talk about it...  ;D

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #60 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:41:32 pm »

It might not be that bad. It's the same for the Eroica and I haven't heard much moaning on forums about it, which means possibly foreigners get away lightly. Ultimately it is down to your GP to sign the form and some GPs might be satisfied that you meet the requirements without having to go through a full medical. You don't have to physically submit your ECG for scrutiny from the organiser.
Equally, it might well be that your GP doesn't want to sign it or requests that you undergo an ECG at your own expense.

As always in these cases, the last resort is forgery, which has been common practice for years in events like "La Marmotte" but we don't talk about it...  ;D

I agree. It wasn't too bad with a similar ride in the series ( 999 Miles )last year. I downloaded a medical form template from the Eroica website called 'Health Certificate for cardiovascular intensive sport activity (cycling races/events). 'The subject , according to clinical investigations carried out, doesn't present any contraindication related to sport to cardiovascular intensive activity. (cycling races/events).' The doctor, who knows my history of entering insane cycling events, charged about £30 to sign. It was accepted without question when scanned across.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #61 on: 11 January, 2018, 02:33:50 pm »
I did my own doctors note last year, worked no problem  :thumbsup:

No need worry, no medical needed.

Pete Mas

« Reply #62 on: 11 January, 2018, 04:05:48 pm »
I did my own doctors note last year, worked no problem  :thumbsup:

No need worry, no medical needed.

I wasn't going to say that - in case the organisers view this forum... ;)

R.L.Stevenson

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #63 on: 11 January, 2018, 06:27:06 pm »
so sounds like last years (other) event in this series was happy with a scanned form, good to know  :thumbsup:

Pete Mas

« Reply #64 on: 11 January, 2018, 08:15:18 pm »
I just looked at the Registration Form link for this year's event, and the medical form we have to get completed is available as a link there, and is also very similar in wording to the Eroica one I quoted in my post above.

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #65 on: 13 January, 2018, 05:22:48 pm »
Just finished completing my registration and have payment confirmation. Really easy and straightforward!
There’s always a way to get the ‘right’ medical certificate! :thumbsup:
More of a logistical problem is getting to Bormio, from any of the three airports near Milan! ::-)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #66 on: 16 January, 2018, 01:16:27 pm »
I was playing with the idea of cycling out... Google's not much good for route planning though.... apparently a lot of the direct roads to Bormio are closed at the moment for some reason.

So much for Swiss efficiency!

Pete Mas

« Reply #67 on: 16 January, 2018, 01:41:34 pm »
I have just scanned the small print on the website and FAQ says a 'Malpensa-Bormio airport shuttle will be arranged for a fee. In May timetables and rates will be communicated.'
This is different from their original plan, I think.  :facepalm: I had already booked a Ryanair flight to Milan Bergamo al Serio, which is the closest airport at 190km - Malpensa is 250km. So now I'll have to hire a car I guess, unless they decide to run a shuttle to/from Milan Bergamo as well ...Anyone want to share a car?

R.L.Stevenson

whosatthewheel

« Reply #68 on: 16 January, 2018, 02:45:55 pm »
I was playing with the idea of cycling out... Google's not much good for route planning though.... apparently a lot of the direct roads to Bormio are closed at the moment for some reason.

Pretty hard to keep a mountain pass open when you get a foot of fresh snow a day... round here they can't even cope with an inch of snow in one winter

Use Strava or ridewithgps maybe?

« Reply #69 on: 16 January, 2018, 02:49:25 pm »
Hello,

Anyone know whether tribars will be OK for this ride?

All I can find in the rules is: "All two/three wheel-means are admitted. Handlebars and muscle strength pedals propulsion are required. "

Thanks

« Reply #70 on: 16 January, 2018, 04:15:52 pm »
I have just scanned the small print on the website and FAQ says a 'Malpensa-Bormio airport shuttle will be arranged for a fee. In May timetables and rates will be communicated.'
This is different from their original plan, I think.  :facepalm: I had already booked a Ryanair flight to Milan Bergamo al Serio, which is the closest airport at 190km - Malpensa is 250km. So now I'll have to hire a car I guess, unless they decide to run a shuttle to/from Milan Bergamo as well ...Anyone want to share a car?

There's a train service to Tirano, which is 40k down the valley from Bormio. There is a bus service onwards - no idea if it takes bikes if you have stuff you cannot carry by bike. The cost of having a hire car sitting around Bormio for a week will be quite high.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

Pete Mas

« Reply #71 on: 16 January, 2018, 04:58:24 pm »

There's a train service to Tirano, which is 40k down the valley from Bormio. There is a bus service onwards - no idea if it takes bikes if you have stuff you cannot carry by bike. The cost of having a hire car sitting around Bormio for a week will be quite high.

Thanks, Ian, the good news is I have remembered that I  booked a flexible return leg of the flight, so I could cycle it or change the return to be from Malpensa, (thus take the organiser's shuttle from Bormio). If I cycle I would need to use my heavier bike, though, with a pannier rack (which I was hoping to avoid).
It's early days yet and their plans for a shuttle aren't finalised yet.

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #72 on: 17 January, 2018, 03:40:24 pm »

Bikes are allowed on the Tirano - Bormio buses, I already used them going to the Valtellina Extreme Brevet. I wonder though if there will be enough space for bikes if many riders arrive by the same train the day of the Alpi 4000.

« Reply #73 on: 24 January, 2018, 07:14:34 pm »
I have a flight from Manchester landing in at about 15:00 on Friday. I have provisionally booked a hire car given the issues getting from Milan to Bormio. Return flight on Saturday at 14:30. May be interested in sharing costs.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #74 on: 14 February, 2018, 05:30:28 pm »

That's my plan too. Just have to decide on a route, I haven't done much Germany but that could be saved for the return trip.
All paid up and just seen the route pages on the website, looks great. I presume there will be GPX files available